shape
carat
color
clarity

Our Experience With GOG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 4/21/2004 6:16:21 PM fire&ice wrote:

I have to admit. If I was unable to meet w/ a client, I would have called and said such.
----------------

Of course you would, F&I.....because you're a one-person shop. If you can't make it, there's *no one else* to cover you.

In this instance, Jonathan is definitely charismatic....no doubt about it.....but he's not the ONLY person in the shop qualified to help someone select a diamond. Someone else was going to cover it ......*so as not to inconvenience the customer*, I'm sure.

The ironic thing: If a store does call to say, "Mister X" can't make it, the standard customer response is usually "well, can't someone else help me? Is he the only qualified person at your place?"

They tried to do right by this guy, and he's still not happy. Very telling.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 4/12/2004 9:14:14 PM sumi wrote:

----------------

On 4/12/2004 8:50:08 PM aljdewey wrote:

I'm so sick and tired of a segment of B&M jewelers presenting this as an ALL or NOTHING scenario....there is NO middle ground in your world.

----------------

I am so glad that you were careful enough to say a 'segment of B&M jewelers'. I want to emphasize that point. I haven't ever bought a stone off the internet so I can't speak to that experience. However, I have a local jeweler that I ADORE. I trust her completely, and she isn't afraid to supply me with whatever information I ask for. She knows she has a quality product, so there isn't anything to be afraid of. Also, since she is by appointment only, I get her full attention when I see her.

----------------[/quote]

This post brings joy to my heart. I too am a Bricks and Mortar store with a net presence, as is Jonathon. Yes, there are some B&M stores that fear the internet, and there are many who do not. Jonathon is one of the early adaptors and he works hard at it. Is it intimidating at times? You bet.

I can not know Jonathon's full story, he and I have only spoken a few times and always we get interupted by things that need our attention so the conversations have never been long. I can tell you that I went from five or ten emails a day and a wonderful 4 1/2 day work week to sometimes as many as 500 emails per day during Christmas and a six day work week all year with seven to ten days per week from Mid November through Dec 25th. Any one who thinks there are only seven days a week is not in the jewelry business during the Christmas season.

Still, it is with my local clients that I find the most satisfaction. There is something so wonderful about sitting at the same desk with a client and watching their eyes light up and sharing their joy when they see a truly beautiful stone. While I truly enjoy and relish meeting people from all over the world on the internet, I would never give up the tremendous satisfaction of my by appointment only local clients. There are many wonderful internet vendors, and there are many many wonderful local B&M dealers, the trick for you, our potential clients, is to figure out which ones are which. That is from my way of thinking, what makes your search at the same time so frustrating, and when you find the right person, so rewarding.

Wink

P.S. I apologize for responding to a post that is two full pages back in the thread, but I only started reading this thread this morning and just had to respond to this post.

Team02

Rough_Rock
For aldjewelry - you can think me "petty", but both you and Rhino are missing the point entirely. As I stated previously, his absence was a very small part of the complaint. GOG service was the real problem. Let me repeat:

"We set-up an appt to meet with you to make a relatively sizable purchase. This is not the reason I wrote my original post though (as you erroneously conclude) - see everything above.".

Since select posters keep making it seem like we changed our mind after the fact - let me repeat: We asked Amy to change the setting BEFORE the diamond was set. Why is this so hard to grasp?

As an aside, I don't believe any reasonable, unbiased person would consider this to be a "petty" or "fussy" request - especially when purchasing a diamond ring.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps it was a case of miscommunication (on whichever part) or a confusion, and so it's a regrettable scenario. You brought it up to GOG and they are aware of it, and have explained the issues surrounding your case.

Ultimately, it's your choice who to work with and what makes you comfortable. I would go to a vendor because of the recommendations, but I would choose the vendor based on MY experience with them. Same goes here.

Thanks for the input, and for the post. It has caused some great topics. Many here have had positive experiences with many vendors here, so they tend to be loyal and such. I think it would have been best to discuss this with GOG first before posting, as I have done many times with vendors before making anything public.

Either way, glad to hear things went well, and hopefuly you are enjoying your new ring and your new fiancee!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 4/22/2004 10:56:16 AM Team02 wrote:

As an aside, I don't believe any reasonable, unbiased person would consider this to be a 'petty' or 'fussy' request - especially when purchasing a diamond ring.
----------------

I guess we just have to agree to disagree, Team02.

For the record, I am not only unbiased (I have NO affiliation to GOG whatsoever) but I am also quite reasonable.

I was considering GOG when I made my purchase last November, and I nearly drove from Boston to Long Island to see his stones in person. If I had done so, and had I arrived to find that Jonathan himself didn't keep the appointment because he was home puking his brains out, I would have understood that.

I guess it depends on one's definition of "reasonable".

Team02

Rough_Rock
aldewey - you keep harping on the same point. I've already addressed this a number of times. It was the ring setting service that was the chief problem.
Please carefully reread my previous posts.

To the poster above:

I appreciate your warm wishes, but question some of your comments like:

"I think it would have been best to discuss this with GOG first before posting, as I have done many times with vendors before making anything public."

PS is not a service to protect vendors - it's a supposed to be a public forum. The issue here is that I don't trust GOG in so far as the ring service. My dissatisfaction was with the level of service - period. I wouldn't trust them to resize our ring. Why would I go to them again? Haven't other posters before expressed the same before about GOG's service on this post alone? It was like they were scared to come out the woodwork when they did. That's not the way it should be.

I just wanted other potential buyers a heads-up about GOG and seek out a recommendation for someone who could resize a ring. Before I went to GOG, I was under the impression based on the positively gushing posts that GOG was attentive to it's customers needs. I come back with a different story. That's all - plain and simple.

Thanks and best wishes to all. BTW, I didn't got a blank private message from someone, please resend.

squares

Rough_Rock
Sorry, wrong place.

Actually, since it won't let me respond to the Jubilee post, I'll say my peace here...related to the Jubilee cut:

"I'll just say that Jonathon really only presented information that no other vendor/person had. He gave information that not a lot of us wanted. I'm not big on the argument of "selling vs. showing" because that is such a fine line. I believe he presented this new cut and did not try to sell it at all. Perhaps saying "hi to chas" rubbed people the wrong way, but I really think it was just a way of introducing people to this community. If Linda left and said "let me welcome Alexa" it would not be selling... Just my 2 cents. I really love this diamond and hope Jonathon can find more time to answer some of these questions that everyone has!

This is and probably has always been a community of learning. You can't help that some people love new things, no offense to a few posters. I'm interested, I think most people should be!"

And as to this subject, the good and bad of every vendor is great to hear. Vendors cannot help the satisfaction of many of their clients. I hope everyone finds someone that will work for them. I'm in the middle of my process and I'm not offended....

squares

Rough_Rock
Linda,

I'm just a regular consumer who heard incredible things about you. I'm not trying to mix you in the middle, in fact, I think you probably brought in a lot of business yourself. I was just commenting on reputations and ability. You were obviously well known for that which is why I heard about you... I just hate that people are always so negative - especially considering the reputation many people spend so long building up (such as yourself). I hope my point was taken with the best intentions!

~squares

GlitterGal

Shiny_Rock
Hi Squares,

Thank you for your post and your kind words. I greatly appreciate it. No offense taken to your remarks and I didn’t think you were trying to put me in the middle. I just wanted to mention these points as these are the reasons why I have not discussed either Alexa or Megan before. Again, I really do appreciate your kind words and thank you for your posting.

Best of luck in your diamond search & kindest regards always,
Linda
wavey.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Team02,

Not to drag this further but I did want to respond to some of your points in the interest of wanting to better serve our clients and avoid possible mishaps in the future. My response will be in bold for clarification. Please don't take my bold type is screaming/shouting etc.

----------------
On 4/22/2004 3:03:08 PM Team02 wrote:

It was the ring setting service that was the chief problem...

The issue here is that I don't trust GOG in so far as the ring service. My dissatisfaction was with the level of service - period. I wouldn't trust them to resize our ring.

What baffles me here Team02, regarding what was reported to me and what you have shared is it appears there was a miscommunication from the time you originally told my sister you wanted the diamond set into the ring from the time you told her NOT to set it in the ring. On Saturday's (the day you were here) our diamond setter and jeweler are both in the store and if a client is in our store on a Saturday and they ask my sister to set the diamond in the ring they've selected we hand it directly to them to do the job ... right then and there. By the time you would have driven home, changed your mind and called my sister to tell her otherwise your ring was more than likely already finished becuase our jeweler and setter are here on the premises on a Saturday. How were we to know you would change your mind? My sister did all within her means to follow your instructions while you were in our store and she completed the job. How in the world has this earned your distrust? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Why would I go to them again? Haven't other posters before expressed the same before about GOG's service on this post alone?

No they have not. The other concerns expressed by ChrisUK and AnA were directlly related to email responses from a partimer I had handling our setting requests for pictures & prices. A problem which we have now taken action on and rectified. My assistant Marie (who is in our store everyday) is now handling all setting requests/inquiries and is on top of it. From what I garner about your major gripe is that

a. We set your diamond in the setting you selected quicker than anyone anticipated.
b. When you changed your mind and we ordered you the new setting the company sent us the ring a week later than they anticipated.

It was like they were scared to come out the woodwork when they did. That's not the way it should be.

WHO IS SCARED TO COME OUT OF THE WOODWORK?!?!? I am not hiding from anyone and will happily listen to any criticism AND ACT on that criticism to better our service to our clients. I do not understand how you can hold any of the above against my sister since

a. She followed your orders to set the diamond in the ring and did so as quickly as she could *in the interest of serving you speedily*.
b. Should you hold it against my sister because the company was a week late in sending the ring? Is my sister to blame and are we now NOT to be trusted for a simple ring sizing? Wasn't it you who stated to my sister that *time* was not of the essence after you had changed your mind?

My question to you Team02 is if you told my sister that *time was of no concern*, why are you now making it your major complaint? Do you understand that this delay in having the ring sent to us was beyond our control? Do you honestly think we malisciously held off and purposely delayed the shipping of the ring after my sister spent hours with you on a busy Saturday and completed your ring for you in record time? I am sorry but this doesn't make sense to me.

I just wanted other potential buyers a heads-up about GOG and seek out a recommendation for someone who could resize a ring. Before I went to GOG, I was under the impression based on the positively gushing posts that GOG was attentive to it's customers needs. I come back with a different story. That's all - plain and simple.

----------------

Please don't take my posting the wrong way Team02. I completely understand you being frustrated (a. me not being there that day, b. your diamond was set before we knew you had changed your mind, c. your ring came a week later than anticipated from the manufacturer). You are justified. My simple question to you is ... If you were in my shoes (please try to put yourself in my position for a moment), what would you do differently? I am open to hear your suggestions.

Would you ...
a. Fire Amy? If so, why?
b. Cease doing business with ring manufacturers who once in a while do not complete their rings when they say?
c. Your suggestions?

I am responding to you openly on a public forum so that YOU KNOW I am not one who has to be dragged out of the woodwork nor do I hide from my problems. I firmly believe the *key* to improving client care is by listening to their concerns. I look forward to your response and if it makes sense will act upon it immediately.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/22/2004 3:03:08 PM Team02 wrote:

aldewey - you keep harping on the same point. I've already addressed this a number of times. It was the ring setting service that was the chief problem.
Please carefully reread my previous posts.

To the poster above:

I appreciate your warm wishes, but question some of your comments like:

'I think it would have been best to discuss this with GOG first before posting, as I have done many times with vendors before making anything public.'

PS is not a service to protect vendors - it's a supposed to be a public forum. The issue here is that I don't trust GOG in so far as the ring service. My dissatisfaction was with the level of service - period. I wouldn't trust them to resize our ring. Why would I go to them again? Haven't other posters before expressed the same before about GOG's service on this post alone? It was like they were scared to come out the woodwork when they did. That's not the way it should be.

Thanks and best wishes to all. BTW, I didn't got a blank private message from someone, please resend.

----------------

THIS is why I suggest talking to the vendor FIRST. I don't think I am nuts here, but I really like to have conflict resolution with less conflict. Telling customers your negative expereience WITHOUT talking to the vendor, when they post here and have loyal customers and potential customers can be construed to me as a hot headed, angry decision to incite people to not use them.

Why do I say that? Because if the RING was the most important thing, you would call the vendor and say "hey, this went wrong, and I am not happy. What can you do to MAKE me happy?" I only use disparraigement as a last resort, after talking to them didn't help. Why? Because when you throw something out into the internet, you CAN'T take it back. What if they came online and said, "hey you waivered on every details, we did our best and you didn't communicate." And people read both sides and agreed with the vendor. This has actually happened. Then you have egg on your face.

We had issues with on-line vendors. We spoek to them and allowed them to fix them. That's the way it works. It's like running to tell on someone when you think you're right, they tell their side of the story and you look foolish.

It's NOT to protect the vendor as much as it is just brash and irritating to have people argue about what went down, when you use a public forum to try and dispute an issue that was never disputed, but just simmering in your own mind. You rehash parts and pieces, and if people don't agree with your side, then there are arguments. Totally useless! How about if you have an issue, and you CONTACT the vendor, and they ignore you, or blow you off, THEN come online and complain about it, because then you can say, "Hey, I tried to fix this nicely, but now it's out there!" Instead of cutting off their response to you and your fiance and just showing a one-sided view on a public forum.

As Jonathan said, put yourself in HIS place. If this were E-Bay and you sent an item, but forgot something required in there as an honest mistake or miscommunication, would you want the negative feedback and your rating to go down, or would you prefer they e-mail you and say, "Hey! You forgot this!"

You have every right to post your experience and opinion, I am just not all that excited about your conflict resolution (with all the extra conflict).

I still wish you well, and hope that it all works out in the end for you both!

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Hey All----

Have you ever heard of beating a dead horse!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 4/23/2004 3:49:15 PM baltneu wrote:

Hey All----

Have you ever heard of beating a dead horse!!!
----------------
Agreed. I personally think it's time to close this thread. I could see the benefit in continuing it if there were constructive give-and-take occurring, but at this point, it's simply arguing with no constructive resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results