shape
carat
color
clarity

OT Jeweler Question - Rich Sherwood?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
My OT question is this:
Can I (inexperienced but eager) set precious gems and diamonds into ring and pendant settings myself?
I know of those jewelers pliers that apply pressure evenly.
Is that what jewelers really use?

If you don''t want to bore everyone and email me off board that would be fine too. I just want to know if I can do it and what I''ll need and any other info. you can think of.

Thanks a bunch!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Tanya. The setting process involves two components: notching the prongs and setting the stone. Both of these are a learned art, which require a bit of training and practice in order to set stones competently.

Most setters get schooling or go through a period of apprenticeship and then move on from there. The common practice is to start with inexpensive stones and then move up in value as your skill increases. You will break your share of stones before becoming proficient.

Usually there are vo-tech schools in your area teaching jewelry making classes. That would be a great way for you to get started.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Rich. That's what I thought but I needed to know for sure. There are people telling me I can just buy those parallel pliers and do it myself, but I think that's for the crappy cheap jewelry.
I'll continue paying the $5-$10 per gem to get them set by a professional. Maybe I'll take a class in the future, but I doubt it because I have NO patience for these things. That's why I'll never be an expert at anything - but that's a whole different can of worms.
Thanks again!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results