shape
carat
color
clarity

Ordering diamond: Ship to me or appraiser?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chapstick

Rough_Rock
First off, I''m very appreciative of all the knowledge on these forums. It''s been a joy to do my research here.

I''m getting ready to make a purchase from Good Old Gold, but am curious what people think about having diamonds shipped straight to me vs. shipping to an appraiser first. I know some people would probably always want the second opinion, while others I''m sure would trust certain retailers. I feel like GoG is one of those retailers that most people around here have a lot of faith in, so I''m not sure what to do.

The nearest appraiser is about an hour and half from me, so it would be a bit of a hassle and an additional expense, but if it''s definitely the thing to do then I will make it work

I appreciate your thoughts!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 4:38:36 PM
Author:chapstick
First off, I'm very appreciative of all the knowledge on these forums. It's been a joy to do my research here.

I'm getting ready to make a purchase from Good Old Gold, but am curious what people think about having diamonds shipped straight to me vs. shipping to an appraiser first. I know some people would probably always want the second opinion, while others I'm sure would trust certain retailers. I feel like GoG is one of those retailers that most people around here have a lot of faith in, so I'm not sure what to do.

The nearest appraiser is about an hour and half from me, so it would be a bit of a hassle and an additional expense, but if it's definitely the thing to do then I will make it work

I appreciate your thoughts!
Welcome Chapstick!

Thank you for your very kind words concerning the forums, we work hard to keep it a good place to hang out, research and learn!

Concerning your purchase, it really depends on your comfort level. Personally I wouldn't worry if I were purchasing from GOG as I have seen many happy customers of theirs over the years and I would have every confidence in them - but if you prefer to get the diamond verified by an independant expert then that is absolutely fine.

This article might be helpful if you haven't already come across it, it explains about the appraisal process so you can get a better idea of the procedure and services offered.

https://www.pricescope.com/appraiser.asp

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, it depends. If it''s a great cut with no inclusions that are worrisome, I''d say no need. I didn''t when I purchased mine, but I knew what I was looking at. Is there anything you question about the stone?

chapstick

Rough_Rock
I guess I am slightly concerned about one thing. It''s this stone: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5293/

On the first picture I see several black dots in a couple parts of the diamond. I have been assured the stone is still eye clean, but I guess i still worry about it a tiny bit. I feel like sending it to an appraiser won''t necessarily make that any better, though. I''ll know when I have the diamond in my hands whether or not I can see anything and if it bothers me.

Here are the exact quotes from GoG when I''ve asked: "I did not even notice them at first but now that I know where they are I can faintly see them under a 10x loupe. It is still eye clean and the picture you linked me to is a white hemisphere picture meaning that the diamond is surrounded completely by white (except for the camera lens), this type of picture really shows off the symmetry in the diamond but does not demonstrate how it would appear in an everyday lighting environment."

" There are no visible inclusions in this diamond."

So that''s what I have to go off of...and that''s the diamond I''ve picked out. I guess I can go ahead and solicit your opinions on it in general now as well. They made a video for me if you want to see it in action: http://vimeo.com/3768231?pg=transcoded_embed&sec=376823 - it''s the biggest one of the three.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think you need to worry, if GOG says it is completely eyeclean then I would be inclined to trust that. It looks like a lovely diamond you have chosen!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:08:27 PM
Author: chapstick
I guess I am slightly concerned about one thing. It''s this stone: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5293/

On the first picture I see several black dots in a couple parts of the diamond. I have been assured the stone is still eye clean, but I guess i still worry about it a tiny bit. I feel like sending it to an appraiser won''t necessarily make that any better, though. I''ll know when I have the diamond in my hands whether or not I can see anything and if it bothers me.

Here are the exact quotes from GoG when I''ve asked: ''I did not even notice them at first but now that I know where they are I can faintly see them under a 10x loupe. It is still eye clean and the picture you linked me to is a white hemisphere picture meaning that the diamond is surrounded completely by white (except for the camera lens), this type of picture really shows off the symmetry in the diamond but does not demonstrate how it would appear in an everyday lighting environment.''

'' There are no visible inclusions in this diamond.''

So that''s what I have to go off of...and that''s the diamond I''ve picked out. I guess I can go ahead and solicit your opinions on it in general now as well. They made a video for me if you want to see it in action: http://vimeo.com/3768231?pg=transcoded_embed&sec=376823 - it''s the biggest one of the three.

Thanks again for the help everyone!
This says it all. No need to worry, if they can barely see them under 10x mag.
28.gif
I would just get it set.

That stone is nothing short of swoonable. Seriously, it''s drop dead gorgeous.
30.gif
Well done!

chapstick

Rough_Rock
Thank you both, I can''t tell you how big it made me smile to have the two of you like the diamond so much!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 5:23:21 PM
Thank you both, I can''t tell you how big it made me smile to have the two of you like the diamond so much!
Most welcome, it truly is a GORGEOUS diamond and I bet you will be delighted!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone!! The only thing an appraiser would tell you about this stone is what you already know. "Eye-clean" is an opinion. You know it''s SI1 and does have some inclusions that are mapped out on the GOG web page. Only you can decide if they bother you or not. Even the appraiser can''t make that call for you. Personally the stone is so beautiful and bright I wouldn''t notice those tiny inclusions. But GOG would let you return it if it turned out that they bothered you. I wouldn''t bother with an appraisal, I''d just keep an open mind about what your own eyes will tell you.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:23:21 PM
Are you kidding? What''s not to like??
9.gif

And you''re very welcome.
2.gif

Miss_Cupcake

Rough_Rock
Well, I am not going to answer your question, but I wanted to say that I LOVE that diamond. I was seriously thinking of purchasing it until I saw the new cushions. It is so amazing looking. I can''t wait to see handshots of it set!

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to add my two cents regarding "eye-clean" SI-1''s. I recently returned a gorgeous G SI-1 since it had inclusions in it that I could see, even though the 5 other people I showed it to couldn''t see it. Eye-clean is really a personal defintion based on sensitivity and visual acuity.

I would only define a stone as eye-clean if I saw it and it met my definition. An appraiser can''t do this.

chapstick

Rough_Rock
That''s a good point, DKinLA. I feel like there''s enough to go on for me to buy the ring and hope I (and the lady, of course) can''t see anything either. Even though it isn''t optimal, if there''s a problem I''ll return it. I''m not expecting a problem, but we''ll see what happens.

I guess my real first question was not to have someone give me a second opinion on whether or not it was graded correctly, but just to make sure I get sent the diamond I paid for. Now that I think about it, though, a bit of magnification on my part is all it should take so I guess it was kind of a silly question anyway.

At least I got to show of the diamond, though! I''ll be sure to provide pictures of the finish product on the finger of a beautiful woman (in fact the most beautiful woman, if I do say so myself) once I finally get it there!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 1:37:01 AM
That''s a good point, DKinLA. I feel like there''s enough to go on for me to buy the ring and hope I (and the lady, of course) can''t see anything either. Even though it isn''t optimal, if there''s a problem I''ll return it. I''m not expecting a problem, but we''ll see what happens.

I guess my real first question was not to have someone give me a second opinion on whether or not it was graded correctly, but just to make sure I get sent the diamond I paid for. Now that I think about it, though, a bit of magnification on my part is all it should take so I guess it was kind of a silly question anyway.

At least I got to show of the diamond, though! I''ll be sure to provide pictures of the finish product on the finger of a beautiful woman (in fact the most beautiful woman, if I do say so myself) once I finally get it there!

We will look forward to it!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 1:37:01 AM

Aww.
5.gif
We shall be waiting with baited breath for those pics, that is going to be one stunning ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results