shape
carat
color
clarity

Orange Sapphires-Whats considered a great color?

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello,

Im commissioning your opinions, expertise, and knowledge once again!!

What color is considered a good color for orange sapphires. Yellow- orange, red-orange, dark saturation or lighter saturation.

Gem select has a few. Whats your take on orange sapphire color. What am I looking for?

Thanks for your help :)

oranges3.jpg

oranges2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would personally stay away from orange sapphires, and go for mandarin garnets instead. 99% of orange sapphires are diffused. However, if you don't care about the diffusion treatment, then I would stick with an orange sapphire (and a mandarin garnet as well) that shows the least amount of brown.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1310745077|2969685 said:
I would personally stay away from orange sapphires, and go for mandarin garnets instead. 99% of orange sapphires are diffused. However, if you don't care about the diffusion treatment, then I would stick with an orange sapphire (and a mandarin garnet as well) that shows the least amount of brown.

Yes, TL thank you . I just finished reading some article from palagems about these. diffused things. Yuck!!! :errrr:

Im now looking for spess garnets.

So what do you recommend for spess garnets. Should they be red orange or more of a yellow orange?

Thanks,

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deciding which hue to purchase is a very personal choice; some prefer a touch of yellow, some like a touch of red to give it that slightly fiery colour, and some swear by a straight orange. Pricing will depend on which hue you pick.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ZestfullyBling|1310745434|2969687 said:

Yes, TL thank you . I just finished reading some article from palagems about these. diffused things. Yuck!!! :errrr:

So what do you recommend for spess garnets. Should they be red orange or more of a yellow orange?

Thanks,

Red orange ones tend to be more brown than yellowish orange ones, in my experience, but some yellow orange ones look like an ugly yellow ocre color, and you should avoid those as well. It's hard to find good mandarin garnets these days, but some can be had in smalle sizes on ebay if you look at Tan's sites. I think he has some, even though his prices have gone up on everything. Mandarins are one of the most photoshopped gems as many dealers try to remove as much brown in a photo as possible, so be careful.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple of small red-orange emerald cut sapphires that are treated and they do have a little brown in them...they are still pretty but not really the color I wanted...might have to consider selling them...

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1310745773|2969694 said:
ZestfullyBling|1310745434|2969687 said:

Thanks,

Red orange ones tend to be more brown than yellowish orange ones, in my experience, but some yellow orange ones look like an ugly yellow ocre color, and you should avoid those as well. It's hard to find good mandarin garnets these days, but some can be had in smalle sizes on ebay if you look at Tan's sites. I think he has some, even though his prices have gone up on everything. Mandarins are one of the most photoshopped gems as many dealers try to remove as much brown in a photo as possible, so be careful.

Thanks for you comments! Really giving me a lot to consider.

Chrono your mandarin garnet is Gorgeous in the Whiteflash setting!!! Wow!

Tl do you have any examples of a "good mandarin garnet"?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure of the accuracy of this vendor's gems IRL (I never bought anything from them), but this is the color of the best material IMHO. It's a fuzzy photo, but I think it showcases that neon orange color of some of the best material out there. This might be too expensive or difficult to find, and you may find a nice yellowish orange or reddish orange that suits you better.

file.jpg

If you ever saw a bottle of that neon Fanta soda in the States (not elsewhere), that's the color. No yellow, no brown, just neon orange. If you look at this photo, and then do a search on google images for "mandarin garnet" - almost all the photos show more yellow and/or brown than this stone in this photo I attached here.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1310752123|2969775 said:
I'm not sure of the accuracy of this vendor's gems IRL (I never bought anything from them), but this is the color of the best material IMHO. It's a fuzzy photo, but I think it showcases that neon orange color of some of the best material out there. This might be too expensive or difficult to find, and you may find a nice yellowish orange or reddish orange that suits you better.

file.jpg

If you ever saw a bottle of that neon Fanta soda in the States (not elsewhere), that's the color. No yellow, no brown, just neon orange. If you look at this photo, and then do a search on google images for "mandarin garnet" - almost all the photos show more yellow and/or brown than this stone in this photo I attached here.

I think I prefer yellowish orange. What do you know about gemselect.com? When they have a video link on the website for a gem, is it representative of how the gem looks IRL?

http://www.gemselect.com/spessartite-garnet/spessartite-garnet-213605.php

spessartite-garnet-gem-222330b.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never bought from gemselect, but if you do a search on their name in PS, you might find some reviews.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The video you've linked to shows (to my eyes) quite browny orange colours. Trying to find the "ideal" colour in orange is very difficult so if I were you, I'd just buy the ones that I liked.

Good luck in your search.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1310756196|2969843 said:
The video you've linked to shows (to my eyes) quite browny orange colours. Trying to find the "ideal" colour in orange is very difficult so if I were you, I'd just buy the ones that I liked.

Good luck in your search.

Your are right LD. I detected brown too. I was watching the video of that one and comparing it to this one.

The garnet below has more yellow i think. I like this one alot more.
http://www.gemselect.com/spessartite-garnet/spessartite-garnet-222330.php

I have never bought from gemselect. I did a search and some have good experience some do not. I was wondering if the video the show is normally what gem looks like IRL.

Guess I will have to order and see.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results