shape
carat
color
clarity

Orange sapphire or Spessasite Garnet?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a lovely ring (circa 1970s I'm guessing) with a lovely very vivid orange gem. I tested it using the Presidum tester and it indicates sapphire. From how it looks I always assumed it was spessasite garnet, never having thought a sapphire could be that orange. It's a real chameleon in the light, it seems to throw a pinkish red at times and from the underside the colour is a rather mild orange with pink tint. I'm wondering if the gold mount is changing its colour when viewed from above? The mount is open on two sides but gold encased on the third. It's a triangular cut, another reason why I assumed it was spessasite garnet. Now, the question is "how can I find out/ work out what it actually is? Am I going to need a gemologist to remove it from the setting to examine /test it? I'm wanting to sell the ring and I need to be able to say what it is - any thoughts - _13963.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring! Are you located in the US? You can get it tested with AGL.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, unfortunately I'm in Australia and any local jewellers I visit seem to know less than me. I inherited it from an aunt who had some really interesting pieces of jewellery. It's in 14kt so it's unlikely to have been bought or set here as we do mostly 9ct or 18ct gold settings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should be able to separate orange sapphire from spessartine garnet by just looking at the stone. Spessartine will have the same color on all axis of the stone, sapphire will not. You should be able to see this with just your eye, or if have access to a dichroscope it would be very apparent. This is tool you can buy for less than $50, which would cost you less than sending the stone to a lab, and you would have it the rest of your life.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone. I'm more convinced now that it is spessasite garnet. I have a 8ct yellow sapphire (double facet cushion cut) and this stone handles the light in a completely different way. This goes "neon orange". I think I'm safer calling it spessasite because that's a cheaper stone and a buyer wouldn't be aghast if it turned out a more valuable orange sapphire. It's big, 13mm X 13mm so I've estimated it at 9 carats. Now for value, weighs 5 grams in 14kt gold mount, is $900 a fair price ?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a huge stone for both a sapphire or a garnet. I would double check to make sure it's a natural stone.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never thought they made synthetic spessasite! I will have to have it tested to confirm one way or the other. I can't be selling a fake stone. Whatever it is it's rather beautiful and looks different in every light. _1759.jpg _1760.jpg _1758.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would at a minimum find a gemologist near you who would be willing to run some tests on it for you.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which city is closest to you? I've taken things to the lab Chrono linked before but unless you send items in bulk it's not cheap. Some of the gemstone dealers here would be able to tell you, down in Melbourne there are a number of valuers that can tell you how much the ring is worth and what the stone is like these guys;

http://www.agtl.com.au/valuer_profiles.htm

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The fact that the presidium pointed to corundum does raise the idea of a synthetic in my mind - a very clean, bright and large stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Extremely large, clean and neon, plus your tester thinks it is corundum, so my guess is synthetic corundum.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never thought of orange synthetic corundum. I know they do blue, red and purple but orange never crossed my mind. Interesting. So it will either be a $50 beautiful but synthetic stone or a rather impressive and quite expensive spessasite. I found a gem laboratory here in Sydney to take it to. Having read more about gem testing equipment (way too expensive for a lay person to buy), if you have the right equipment it's a relatively straight forward process.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bron357|1454633353|3986950 said:
I never thought of orange synthetic corundum. I know they do blue, red and purple but orange never crossed my mind.

Different modifier than yours but here is a synthetic orange stone in a 24kt gold mounting :o It was gorgeous and kind of a novelty - the band was adjustable like a dime store ring. (I almost bought it because it was cheap and fun...until I realized that while the high karat gold was why they could make an adjustable setting, it was also too soft for practical wear)

24korangecz.jpg

I hope your beautiful stone is the real deal...because it really is impressive :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly don't mind if it's natural or created. It's still beautiful. And better still, I've decided to keep it!
I just have so many rings (been buying all my life with a passion) and now I'm retired I hardly get out and about enough to wear them all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bron357|1455752759|3992303 said:
I honestly don't mind if it's natural or created. It's still beautiful. And better still, I've decided to keep it! I just have so many rings (been buying all my life with a passion) and now I'm retired I hardly get out and about enough to wear them all.
Whatever it might be, there is no question that it is a beautiful ring. I am very sure you'll enjoy wearing it very much. :appl:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Which brings up an interesting question. Does it really matter what something is, as long as you enjoy it? I know this sounds crazy coming from someone who sells natural colored stones. My wife has very little interest in the value of a stone, and is only concerned with the finished piece. She wears mostly things that are purchased near the cash register of places like "Forever 21" and "Marshalls". It the look she likes, she has no idea, nor cares what they are made out of. I came back from Tucson this year with several really nice unheated blue sapphires, sapphire is her birth stone. Asked her if she wanted one that was 6 carats before it gets sold. She said no, but that I could make her a cappuccino then feed the birds and deer instead.

So often I read here where people are seeking out the opinions of others, the see if they like something. But isn't it really if YOU like it? Does it really matter what it is, as long as you like it? The only piece of Jewelery I own, if it can be called Jewelery is an Apple Watch. I bought several cheap knock off bands for it, that look just like Apple bands, but at a fraction of the price. I like the funky colors and switch out the bands all the time.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
PrecisionGem|1455801410|3992514 said:
Which brings up an interesting question. Does it really matter what something is, as long as you enjoy it? I know this sounds crazy coming from someone who sells natural colored stones.

You bet it does; in fact, sounds crazy is an understatement :lol:
But then again Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
eastjavaman|1455805683|3992541 said:
Which brings up an interesting question. Does it really matter what something is, as long as you enjoy it? I know this sounds crazy coming from someone who sells natural colored stones.

Why? Apparently to the OP it doesn't.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Very well said Precision Gem! I know if I am buying something for myself my first priority is I must like it! I really enjoy my opals and have bought rough and cut stones that others didn't rate but I really liked and got them for a really good price. At the end of the day I am the one looking at and enjoying my purchase.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you said that PrecisionGem. Most of the colored stones in my Vietnamese jewelers (such as the one I showed)...shops that primarily sell 18kt+, high end diamonds and jade. They say it's because their customers prefer larger perfect stones. Jewelry is just an accessory for many, including myself. I can't get myself to spend some of the $$ that others do on a single piece because I would feel like I would need to wear it every day to justify. I have some vintage czech glass necklaces and other costume pieces I wear for fun and when I travel. When I come here for opinions its because it's a larger purchase and I am unsure about the price and/or afraid I am overlooking something that would bother me later. I take it in stride and there have been times when I've bought despite suggestions otherwise - no regrets because I did it informed. But as others said - its a matter of priority and taste - why some buy high end designer bags/shoes and others don't.

Anyway - so glad you decided to enjoy your pretty ring OP!

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
PrecisionGem|1455815618|3992592 said:

PG, I was referring to your comment; which of course sounds crazy when it is coming from a natural stone vendor like yourself, which seems to encourage us to buy synthetic, but your good intention and wisdom is well received. :)

So how do we judge beauty? Natural or Man Made? Certainly art is mostly man made, and even natural stones would not look impressive in the rough; thus, require interventions
Ok, I think I veered out too far from the subject. :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eastjavaman|1455863904|3992830 said:
PrecisionGem|1455815618|3992592 said:

PG, I was referring to your comment; which of course sounds crazy when it is coming from a natural stone vendor like yourself, which seems to encourage us to buy synthetic, but your good intention and wisdom is well received. :)

So how do we judge beauty? Natural or Man Made? Certainly art is mostly man made, and even natural stones would not look impressive in the rough; thus, require interventions
Ok, I think I veered out too far from the subject. :lol:

I think he's more so saying enjoy what you enjoy.

If you enjoy fine natural gemstones because they are rate, from the earth, and unaltered....then great, hell sell you some.

If you enjoy an antique peice because of the color, size, history and design..... Nothing there you just listed had anything to do with what the stone actually is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results