shape
carat
color
clarity

Orange Sapphire from Simply Sapphires

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kizmet

Rough_Rock
Hello All,
Lately I have become obsessed with this Jessica Scott ring that I find simply divine. Here is the link to that ring:
http://thisisauto.com/products/5,5,0/

So I have been doing some searching, and I have found this sapphire from Simply Sapphires. It is 2.45 ct- 8.6 by 6 by 5.1 mm. It has had no treatment. I looked on the forum, and the store is one people have purchased from. I really just wanted to ask the experts their opinions! I understand that if opinions are low on the stone. I''m simply interested in that it is untreated, the color, and price. This is the link to the sapphire, and there are more pictures at the bottom of that page:

http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesyellow2006/orangeo245-sm.html

Thanks for any and all help!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I don''t care for it. The color isn''t all that great and there are a lot of dark areas on the stone.

The price is way too low for an un-heated stone.

Linda

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about this Spessartite Garnet instead? It has a gorgeous orange color very similar to the ring you like. I have bought gems from Daniel twice now and he is really great to deal with.

I don't love the one you posted either...what exactly about the color of that one do you like?

http://www.customgemstones.com/GARNET/ga914.html

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, but I think that is a pretty nasty looking sapphire.

I agree with neatfreak - why not get a spess.?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora,

I agree. I would be ashamed to put that on my website.

Linda

kizmet

Rough_Rock
I have tried to reply twice, and each time my computer have messed up!

kizmet

Rough_Rock
I was so excited to have the computer post, I didn''t even finish!

Anyway, I wanted to thank you for the honest opinions. To answer your question, I like the mellow color of the stone. I loved (LOVED) the garnet you posted! The reason I have not broadened my search to other types of stones is that I am rather paranoid about ruining them. I am famed for my clumsiness and I have one cat that chews on jewelry! I do have two other stones I am looking at that I will try to post now.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2007 2:40:08 PM
Author: Nimrata
I was so excited to have the computer post, I didn''t even finish!

Anyway, I wanted to thank you for the honest opinions. To answer your question, I like the mellow color of the stone. I loved (LOVED) the garnet you posted! The reason I have not broadened my search to other types of stones is that I am rather paranoid about ruining them. I am famed for my clumsiness and I have one cat that chews on jewelry! I do have two other stones I am looking at that I will try to post now.

A spess has a pretty high Moh''s score, so I think you should be ok going that route too. And the colors are just sooooo much nicer and they are pretty affordable generally.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry I don''t like BE treated stones.

Linda

kizmet

Rough_Rock

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
as with sapphire, the same with spessartite: there is something for every budget. high end sapphire and/or high end spessartite will command high end prices.....but spess will be less expensive at the high end [and low end as well] which we''re now talking thousands, not hundreds. high end spess = $600 to $1000k per carat while high end sapphire will be many many thousands higher per carat. buying directly from the cutter should save some dollars.

i too am not impressed with the sapphire and i do think the $389 would be better spent on a spess. investigate spessartite: it comes in many different hues of warm glowing sunset colors to redder ember colors.

http://www.palagems.com/spessartite_buyers_guide.htm

and polk around the palagems website to see some really high end spessartite!

my e-ring is an 8.18 nigerian spessartite with no brown, excellent cut and crystal. i also have a small little three mines spessartite that is more of a dreamy [as opposed to sparkley] orange.

i do hope you consider spessartite. it is a wonderful stone even if not durable enough for 24/7 wear. good rough is getting harder to find and prices have already been seen to rise for this gem. spessartite can seduce you: welcome to the world of orange!

movie zombie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, that sapphire has yucky colours and I would not touch a BE stone with a 10 foot pole. I''d look for other alternatives. Spessartite, as suggested by others, is a wonderful stone is still inexpensive today and has excellent colour.

kizmet

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the information! I guess part of the reason I was looking into sapphires is the history behind using the stones. But I think I now have been looking for so long with my criteria (not round, must have color) that I am now starting to like this round white sapphire on the wildfishgems site!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
while white sapphire is a far far way from orange, i certainly think it would be a good sapphire alternative colorwise....and, i think, a bit unusual which i always think is a plus.

movie zombie

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Have you looked at The Natural Sapphire Company? I can get lost on there website for hours. Go to their unique sapphires, if you haven''t already.
1.gif

kizmet

Rough_Rock

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
For what it''s worth, I have a Be-diffused sapphire as part of my collection (just to have one). It''s certainly not a "mind-clean" stone, but it is quite an attractive shade of orange.

It was quite cheap, too.
12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results