shape
carat
color
clarity

Orange Phosphorescence Hints at Lab Grown Defect

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Being shortwave UV (which never makes it to the Earth's surface from a natural source, such as the sun), is this of any concern in terms of the actual integrity or optics of these particular CVD diamonds?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Being shortwave UV (which never makes it to the Earth's surface from a natural source, such as the sun), is this of any concern in terms of the actual integrity or optics of these particular CVD diamonds?

Uv response is one way to detect mmd from mined so its important from that aspect but otherwise I do not know of any consumer level effects from it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Uv response is one way to detect mmd from mined so its important from that aspect but otherwise I do not know of any consumer level effects from it.

Just reading between the lines of the closing comment:
The change in the fluorescence colors could be "due to the defects in the internal crystal plane," the authors say.

..."could be"...not definitively.
Seems like another anti-LGD smear campaign article by the EGD proponent crowd. Merely my take on it...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting! I wonder how this was discovered?

Seems like another anti-LGD smear campaign article by the EGD proponent crowd. Merely my take on it...

I have the same take actually. Not of whoever discovered it, but the authors of the article. The use of the word “defect” rather than any number of more neutral synonyms sort of gives the agenda away.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

I dont read it that way.
They have a theory but no proofs as to why it is that way == "could be"
UV response is one of the differences between mmd and mined so not a smear.
Also defect is the right word to use in that context.

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Bittersweet...the Russia-Ukraine turmoil leading to sanctions is having a much bigger impact to the number of folks in India (I would have never come close to guessing it being as high as 1.5M people), but I'm glad to hear that they are making strides to keep people employed by shifting to LGD.
However, I can't help myself from speculating about the (potential) bad aspects: rapid implementation to bring manufacturing online could mean making sacrifices to do so, which may lead to producing lower quality LGD rough.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
This post has really been bugging me and I need to apologize for the appearance of making light of the war.
That was not my intent at all.

Not taken that way at all, Karl_K...at least by me.
If anything, it brings light to the situation and shows just how vast of a global impact (to the diamond industry, in this instance) that Russia's aggression is causing, both directly and indirectly.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results