shape
carat
color
clarity

Orange gemstones

Pumpkin Sparkles

Shiny_Rock
I love orange gemstones, and have made it a mission to collect the brighter hues.. I purchased this beautiful pendant, It’s 14k rose gold unmarked could be 15 but I haven’t had it professionally appraised. The gemstone was tested by a local jeweler with a presidium gem tester (I know they aren’t super reliable) but it tested in the garnet/tourmaline range. It has visible color zoning. From my experience, pricescope people have by far more extensive knowledge than any of the local jewelers I’ve encountered. I had another ring that tested for citrine the same day so I know it’s not a citrine.
I would love to hear opinions or thoughts until October when I’m able to get it checked out by someone more knowledgeable in estate and colored gemstones.

My circumstances at the moment limit me from venturing more than an hr away (my son just had major surgery).IMG_1218.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1221.jpeg
    IMG_1221.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1222.jpeg
    IMG_1222.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 20
Yours are stunning! I have a smaller spessartite with liquid inclusions but this one doesn’t. It’s very clean but has zoning and some inclusions with a loupe when looked from the pavilion at an angle almost silk like.

I wanted to start off by saying how sorry I am to hear about your son. Praying for his recovery. ❤️

I am an absolute novice but I wonder if it could be a faceted fire Opal? Some of the examples I’ve seen online don’t have any fire and come in this color range. I happen to have a fire Opal and a presidium tester. I’ll test it in a bit to see where it falls.

I wanted to start off by saying how sorry I am to hear about your son. Praying for his recovery. ❤️

I am an absolute novice but I wonder if it could be a faceted fire Opal? Some of the examples I’ve seen online don’t have any fire and come in this color range. I happen to have a fire Opal and a presidium tester. I’ll test it in a bit to see where it falls.

Thank you so much, it was an inevitable surgery. He was diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (spontaneous mutation) and his progression was causing scoliosis caused by weakness in his trunk muscles, eventually causing disruption in his internal organs.. but he had a 87 degree curve. He had a complete spinal fusion from the top of neck to his tail bone.

It could be, it’s an old pendant. The filigree looks to be hand carved.. it looks to be hand made. But alas I am not a jeweler only my observation.

Beautiful find! I would have guessed sone sort of citrine, despite the Presidium result - it's the most common, and the alternatives would be likely to have fancier settings.

You could look for double refraction. Hold the stone with table close to your eye and look at a small LED indicator, at a distance of a metre or so, through one of the pavilion facets, as illustrated:

DR.jpg

Is the image doubled (two images close together that move in parallel)? Try this for pavilion facets on different sides of the stone. If none give doubled images, the stone is singly refractive. If at least one gives doubled images, the stone is doubly refractive. Of the likely candidates, glass and garnet (spess) are singly refractive; quartz (citrine), zircon, tourmaline, sapphire are doubly refractive.

I'd guess that it's a spessartite/spessartine (I don't know which word is correct. If someone else does, please tell me)
Strictly, in mineralogy, spessartite is a type of igneous rock. Spessartine is the correct name for the garnet. (Both are named from Spessart region of Germany.) But 'spessartite' is so commonly used for the garnet that insisting on 'spessartine' seems a bit pedantic. How about just 'spess'? Or is that too informal...? :)

I don't know but if it's in the garnet/tourmaline range and not lab-created, I'd guess that it's a spessartite/spessartine (I don't know which word is correct. If someone else does, please tell me) garnet. Here are my two.

1720554503759.jpeg

So this bothered me a while back too, and I decided to research it. lol The term spessartite was used to refer to this variety of garnet mostly in the UK. Spessartine was typically preferred in the US. Today, they are used interchangeably and neither would necessarily be considered incorrect. However, strictly speaking... spessartite is technically a type of lamprophyre (which is an igneous rock). So some purists still believe the proper term for this variety of garnet is spessartine. :)

I love orange gemstones, and have made it a mission to collect the brighter hues.. I purchased this beautiful pendant, It’s 14k rose gold unmarked could be 15 but I haven’t had it professionally appraised. The gemstone was tested by a local jeweler with a presidium gem tester (I know they aren’t super reliable) but it tested in the garnet/tourmaline range. It has visible color zoning. From my experience, pricescope people have by far more extensive knowledge than any of the local jewelers I’ve encountered. I had another ring that tested for citrine the same day so I know it’s not a citrine.
I would love to hear opinions or thoughts until October when I’m able to get it checked out by someone more knowledgeable in estate and colored gemstones.

My circumstances at the moment limit me from venturing more than an hr away (my son just had major surgery).IMG_1218.jpeg

Thank you so much, it was an inevitable surgery. He was diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (spontaneous mutation) and his progression was causing scoliosis caused by weakness in his trunk muscles, eventually causing disruption in his internal organs.. but he had a 87 degree curve. He had a complete spinal fusion from the top of neck to his tail bone.

It could be, it’s an old pendant. The filigree looks to be hand carved.. it looks to be hand made. But alas I am not a jeweler only my observation.

oh my goodness. Poor guy. Praying for a speedy recovery!

I tested the fire Opal and it did fall in the garnet/tourmaline/iolite range. All of my opals fell within that range, actually.

Strictly, in mineralogy, spessartite is a type of igneous rock. Spessartine is the correct name for the garnet. (Both are named from Spessart region of Germany.) But 'spessartite' is so commonly used for the garnet that insisting on 'spessartine' seems a bit pedantic. How about just 'spess'? Or is that too informal...? :)

Jinx! :geek2:

I bow down to the masters! Hahaha thank you! I didn’t realize they all had a haze.

No that was a good suggestion! And you could very well be correct!! It's tough to tell for certain. This guy is just giving me such strong citrine vibes. :geek2:

Beautiful. I’d go with Madeira Citrine.
Wishing your son a speedy recovery.

Possibly, I guess the only way to really tell is with the proper equipment and someone knowledgeable.

Thank you! He is by far stronger than me and doing better.

No that was a good suggestion! And you could very well be correct!! It's tough to tell for certain. This guy is just giving me such strong citrine vibes. :geek2:

I hope so I don’t have one of those in my collection (darker shade citrine) Either way I know it’s natural I just need to pull out a good ole wine glass with distilled water to take a picture. It’s the only way I can clearly see the color zoning or inclusions in yellow and orange gemstones. :lol-2:

Off topic, but thank you for the well wishes for my son. I don’t go out much anymore, and have succumb to being very introverted and hardly any communication beyond my fiancé and kids.. I’m grateful to know that there are amazing people out there with hearts that care and wish well for strangers.
I am truly grateful for all the positive words and well wishes, you guys have made my evening.
I come here to escape my world just a little bit to enjoy jewelry, my escape when things get hard I tend to fidget or just stare at my jewelry in between difficult moments as well as good ones. This community is pretty amazing. Thank you!

Off topic, but thank you for the well wishes for my son. I don’t go out much anymore, and have succumb to being very introverted and hardly any communication beyond my fiancé and kids.. I’m grateful to know that there are amazing people out there with hearts that care and wish well for strangers.
I am truly grateful for all the positive words and well wishes, you guys have made my evening.
I come here to escape my world just a little bit to enjoy jewelry, my escape when things get hard I tend to fidget or just stare at my jewelry in between difficult moments as well as good ones. This community is pretty amazing. Thank you!

It may sound silly to some, but I think many of the regular members here would agree that this is not just an online gem/jewelry community. I've seen (and experienced myself) some tremendously compassionate, kind-hearted, and truly supportive acts here. And it's genuine... we do genuinely care about our posters. Big hugs to you and your kiddies! And tell your dear fiancé we said "hi." :D

Thank you.
We are all “strangers” but connected by our love of pretties. PSers are kind and caring and many have been around for years and through lots of tough (and wonderful) times. I for one totally recommend spending time cleaning and admiring jewellery, it is good for the soul.
And here is my first PS posting. How proud I was of this my spessarite garnet. Ha. Silly me, it was actually lab sapphire and I didn’t even know back then that sapphires (natural or lab) came in orange.
Since then I have learnt so much and I don’t love my orange blob any less.
IMG_5165.jpeg

[/QUOTE]

It may sound silly to some, but I think many of the regular members here would agree that this is not just an online gem/jewelry community. I've seen (and experienced myself) some tremendously compassionate, kind-hearted, and truly supportive acts here. And it's genuine... we do genuinely care about our posters. Big hugs to you and your kiddies! And tell your dear fiancé we said "hi." :D
[/QUOTE]

I’m grateful to have stumbled upon this community! With everything going on around us, genuine words with care makes me hopeful. Thank you, for your sweet words, I sure will! <3

Thank you.
We are all “strangers” but connected by our love of pretties. PSers are kind and caring and many have been around for years and through lots of tough (and wonderful) times. I for one totally recommend spending time cleaning and admiring jewellery, it is good for the soul.
And here is my first PS posting. How proud I was of this my spessarite garnet. Ha. Silly me, it was actually lab sapphire and I didn’t even know back then that sapphires (natural or lab) came in orange.
Since then I have learnt so much and I don’t love my orange blob any less.
IMG_5165.jpeg

I love that, that’s probably what made me join and post. I love learning new things and I ALWAYS learn something when I post.

That ring is amazing and the color is spectacular! Who would’ve thought, it’s beautiful!

Bron357, your "orange blob" is fabulous! I love orange, and you have a lot of it. And I love cleaning my jewelry, too, thanks for letting me admit it.

Pumpkin Sparkles, best wishes for your son's recovery. A young person's body can adapt and heal in amazing ways. Take care of yourself while you care for everyone else.

This forum is not only incredibly blessed with talented people, these people are kind and real as well. PS is described as the most civil forum on the Internet, and as someone with no family nearby who is a total diamond idiot, I can hardly believe my good fortune. Welcome!!

Bron357, your "orange blob" is fabulous! I love orange, and you have a lot of it. And I love cleaning my jewelry, too, thanks for letting me admit it.

Pumpkin Sparkles, best wishes for your son's recovery. A young person's body can adapt and heal in amazing ways. Take care of yourself while you care for everyone else.

This forum is not only incredibly blessed with talented people, these people are kind and real as well. PS is described as the most civil forum on the Internet, and as someone with no family nearby who is a total diamond idiot, I can hardly believe my good fortune. Welcome!!

Thank you for your kind words, I’m seeing that side you just described and it is heart warming to know that so many talented and kind hearted individuals would not only help me on my journey collecting but also experience kindness, in areas I don’t normally get to experience it being at home with my kids.
It doesn’t help living in a small town with 2 stores and a population under 2,000 lol.

@Pumpkin Sparkles i hope your son is on the news, the surgery sounds life changing

orange is almost my favorite colour
so i love these kinds of threads

may i stray off on a tangent and enquire about the ring in your aviata pix?

@Pumpkin Sparkles i hope your son is on the news, the surgery sounds life changing

orange is almost my favorite colour
so i love these kinds of threads

may i stray off on a tangent and enquire about the ring in your aviata pix?

Yes, thank you! After surgery he was 4-5 inches taller. (estimated not exact) he’s also doing so much better with his pain, now it’s relearning and building tolerance sitting up and relearning what he can and can no longer do. But he is improving everyday, for that I’m grateful.

The ring in my avatar was inspired by my son and I, we’ve had our ups and downs for 13 yrs, he was 9 months old when we got his diagnosis, and it’s been a journey. He lost his ability to walk at 8. But through it all he is my most happiest child, even though his abilities are limited and the progression takes away a little at a time, He is still my happiest kid, hardly complains (as long as he has his Xbox controller)
He had a hand in choosing the stones and color of gold. He finds Star sapphires fascinating and is a big fan of Star Wars, that’s actually something our little family bonds over. The 3/4 carat diamond represents him, and the 5 carat white star sapphire represents me. I had it made before his surgery just in time for him to see and hold what he helped create. It was perfect, the way the inclusions are within the stone the Star is either centered or closer to the diamond (1st pic). Never veers off to the other side.

Attachments

• IMG_1156.jpeg
    IMG_1156.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1167.jpeg
    IMG_1167.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics