shape
carat
color
clarity

Options for Altering Platinum Band

rebski

Rough_Rock
My husband and I have been trying to find (or have made) a replacement for my engagement ring, which was totally botched by Jared. We knew even before our wedding that the engagement ring was going to have to be replaced, but we didn't have time to do it then, so I got just a plain platinum wedding band, thinking that it was the safest bet for trying to match a new engagement ring to it later. Unfortunately, though, it's much too thin (I don't mean narrow--it's 2 mm wide, which is okay) to go with anything new I like, or for us to have something custom-made to match (it's about 1.1 mm thick, I believe) and be confident in its strength.

I really, really want to keep my existing wedding band, and I also really want it to look good with whatever replacement ring we might end up with. I've learned that I can't have it melted down to make something new (without having to worry about porosity) and have been told that I can't use the bottom half of it soldered together with half a diamond band to create something new (though this one hasn't been explained well). Do I have any options left for reusing this band but making it thicker (at least on top), either as just a thicker platinum band or as a diamond band?

If there really aren't any options for altering the ring while keeping it as a ring, then I may consider using it as a spacer with a new band and a new ring (I can't decide how I feel about this option, so pictures of your sets that use 2 mm plain spacers would be really helpful) or possibly using it as something else (ideas/pictures for what could be made from a platinum band would also be much appreciated).

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
What sort of engagement ring are you thinking about? If you went with a cathedral setting I'm not sure the differing thicknesses would be that noticeable. Just a thought...

Cricketcat

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
Just curious, is this platinum wedding band the one that Jared sells for around $350.00?

rebski

Rough_Rock
I'm having trouble deciding just what to do. Part of it, of course, depends on what our options are for the band. I do agree that the difference in thickness would be less obvious with a cathedral setting than with most other settings, but my original ring actually had a cathedral setting, and I could tell the difference enough (I could see the difference on the sides of my finger when viewed from the top) that it ended up bothering me.

rebski

Rough_Rock
I believe it's the that one. I think it maybe cost us a bit more than that when we bought it, but it appears to be the same one.

Vampira

Rough_Rock
Hmm, this might be a terrible suggestion without knowing what style of engagement ring you'd ultimately be after, but I wonder if you could have some milgraining or other texturing done to the band (hammered, notched, floral etched, etc.)? You could either find some element of your eventual e-ring to echo in the texturing, or go for a completely different style that might create a mini-stack effect.

I've seen some really pretty mismatched sets floating around, so maybe taking the "plain" platinum band in a totally different direction would make it work with different styles, like a tasteful mix of polka dots and plaids? :think:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of engagement rings do you like? It's kind of hard to know what suggestions to give when we don't know what look you're going to go for.

rebski

Rough_Rock
Vampira|1405572155|3714854 said:
Hmm, this might be a terrible suggestion without knowing what style of engagement ring you'd ultimately be after, but I wonder if you could have some milgraining or other texturing done to the band (hammered, notched, floral etched, etc.)? You could either find some element of your eventual e-ring to echo in the texturing, or go for a completely different style that might create a mini-stack effect.

I've seen some really pretty mismatched sets floating around, so maybe taking the "plain" platinum band in a totally different direction would make it work with different styles, like a tasteful mix of polka dots and plaids? :think:

I'm really not too concerned with the style of the band; I'm just concerned because it's too thin. I'm looking for a way to make it thicker by somehow adding metal, adding stones that would sit above the current top of the band, or using half of this band soldered together with half of a different, thicker band.

rebski

Rough_Rock
distracts|1405602297|3714991 said:
What kind of engagement rings do you like? It's kind of hard to know what suggestions to give when we don't know what look you're going to go for.

The type of engagement ring I'm going to get really depends on what I'm able to do with the wedding band. However, one that I really like style-wise--though I don't like that it seems like a band couldn't fit flush against it--is http://www.paradedesign.com/Jewelry.asp?Style=R2928/R1&Collection=Hera%20Bridal.. We may end up going for a three-stone ring (1 ct in the center, with two .40 ct sidestones) or stick with a solitaire (probably reusing my 1 ct diamond).

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it COULD be possible for a jeweler with a laser welder to weld another strip of platinum on the outside or inside and then reform it... but honestly that would be SO ineffective in terms of cost, and since it's not something they normally do it would have a pretty decent chance of looking weird. In order to find someone to do this, I would literally just take it to every jeweler and ask, because the problem isn't whether or not it's POSSIBLE, it's whether or not the jeweler is WILLING to do it.

If you're not willing to buy another ring, is there a chance you could just wear your engagement ring on your right hand?

rebski

Rough_Rock
distracts|1405607535|3715037 said:
I think it COULD be possible for a jeweler with a laser welder to weld another strip of platinum on the outside or inside and then reform it... but honestly that would be SO ineffective in terms of cost, and since it's not something they normally do it would have a pretty decent chance of looking weird. In order to find someone to do this, I would literally just take it to every jeweler and ask, because the problem isn't whether or not it's POSSIBLE, it's whether or not the jeweler is WILLING to do it.

If you're not willing to buy another ring, is there a chance you could just wear your engagement ring on your right hand?

If it's possible (though not preferable because it might look funky) to have platinum added onto the outside to just make it a thicker plain band, is there really a reason that half of this band couldn't be welded together with half of an existing, thicker band (possibly a diamond band)? I've been told that this wouldn't work, but I don't really understand why not. Or, is there a reason prongs couldn't be added to the top of this band to add some diamonds?

Unfortunately, no, I can't wear one of the rings on my right hand because I'm missing the fingers on my right hand.

I know that the simplest option is to just go out and find new, well-matched rings and ditch the old wedding band, but I'm rather sentimental.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rebski|1405609825|3715080 said:
If it's possible (though not preferable because it might look funky) to have platinum added onto the outside to just make it a thicker plain band, is there really a reason that half of this band couldn't be welded together with half of an existing, thicker band (possibly a diamond band)? I've been told that this wouldn't work, but I don't really understand why not. Or, is there a reason prongs couldn't be added to the top of this band to add some diamonds?

Unfortunately, no, I can't wear one of the rings on my right hand because I'm missing the fingers on my right hand.

I know that the simplest option is to just go out and find new, well-matched rings and ditch the old wedding band, but I'm rather sentimental.

Oh well that is certainly a good reason for not being able to wear it on the right hand. Now I feel like a jerk, sorry.

I understand being sentimental. Just so long as you understand that it might cost you more money and it will definitely cost you more effort. My mom's wedding ring got damaged badly once and we had to go to TEN BILLION jewelers approximately before we could find one willing to fix it. It got done in the end though and looks great, but we had to put up with a lot of nonsense to get there.

I don't see why soldering it to half of a diamond band wouldn't be possible, but, again, this is the sort of thing that you're probably gonna have to ask several jewelers to do in order to get one to say yes. I'd look into something like a seven-stone, maybe, if you like that look?

I don't think prongs could be added to the top of the band. I mean, I'm not sure on that, but it seems far more likely to go wrong.

rebski

Rough_Rock
distracts|1405616413|3715155 said:
rebski|1405609825|3715080 said:

Oh well that is certainly a good reason for not being able to wear it on the right hand. Now I feel like a jerk, sorry.

I understand being sentimental. Just so long as you understand that it might cost you more money and it will definitely cost you more effort. My mom's wedding ring got damaged badly once and we had to go to TEN BILLION jewelers approximately before we could find one willing to fix it. It got done in the end though and looks great, but we had to put up with a lot of nonsense to get there.

I don't see why soldering it to half of a diamond band wouldn't be possible, but, again, this is the sort of thing that you're probably gonna have to ask several jewelers to do in order to get one to say yes. I'd look into something like a seven-stone, maybe, if you like that look?

I don't think prongs could be added to the top of the band. I mean, I'm not sure on that, but it seems far more likely to go wrong.

Don't feel like a jerk! I hadn't mentioned it before.

We'll try asking around some more regarding welding part of the old band together with something new. I just didn't know whether this was something that everyone would think of as a bad idea, or we just haven't found the right jeweler yet. Maybe we could even use both halves of the old band to make two new bands for on either side of the new ring. We'll see!

Thanks for your input!

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
I feel your pain. My 14K yellow gold wedding ring was damaged by a jeweler and I thought it was a lost cause. Thanks to this board, they told me to find a jeweler with a laser welder to repair it. It cost me but you can't replace a wedding ring. I thought he would have had to melt the ring down and recast it but he didn't, it looked just like new when he finished it. He had to completely rebuild it though because it had diamonds channel set and the other jeweler had damaged that also. Hopefully you can find a jeweler that can do something similar. You would want someone that makes custom jewelry. Mine was an artist. I don't know about pave and such but his designs sung to me.

This is kind of off the wall but could you see wearing it as a thumb ring? Or a toe ring?

rebski

Rough_Rock

rebski

Rough_Rock
allowingtoo|1405647759|3715473 said:
I feel your pain. My 14K yellow gold wedding ring was damaged by a jeweler and I thought it was a lost cause. Thanks to this board, they told me to find a jeweler with a laser welder to repair it. It cost me but you can't replace a wedding ring. I thought he would have had to melt the ring down and recast it but he didn't, it looked just like new when he finished it. He had to completely rebuild it though because it had diamonds channel set and the other jeweler had damaged that also. Hopefully you can find a jeweler that can do something similar. You would want someone that makes custom jewelry. Mine was an artist. I don't know about pave and such but his designs sung to me.

This is kind of off the wall but could you see wearing it as a thumb ring? Or a toe ring?

I don't really see myself wearing it either of those ways. I'm feeling much better now, though, about the possibility of having it changed up so that I can continue to use it as a wedding band with whatever new ring we choose.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A jeweler could melt down your wedding ring and hand make a thicker, 1/2 shank that could be used for the bottom of a different top to complete a ring. Melting it down and hand fabricating will eliminate porosity that might occur with casting. For a simple shape, a good jeweler has alternatives to casting which would work just fine, especially with a platinum item. Sounds as if you could use the entire wedding ring to make half or a bit more of a somewhat more substantial ring to wear all the time.

rebski

Rough_Rock
Oldminer|1405695458|3715858 said:
A jeweler could melt down your wedding ring and hand make a thicker, 1/2 shank that could be used for the bottom of a different top to complete a ring. Melting it down and hand fabricating will eliminate porosity that might occur with casting. For a simple shape, a good jeweler has alternatives to casting which would work just fine, especially with a platinum item. Sounds as if you could use the entire wedding ring to make half or a bit more of a somewhat more substantial ring to wear all the time.

Interesting. Why is porosity a potential problem with casting but not with hand fabricating?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hand fabrication beats the air out. It's a completely different process.

rebski

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1405724086|3716193 said:
Hand fabrication beats the air out. It's a completely different process.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for all your help, everybody! We'll seek out someone who can either make a new band from the old platinum via hand fabrication or someone who can laser weld part of the old band together with something new.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results