shape
carat
color
clarity

Optical Illusion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rwkgirl

Rough_Rock
My mother just dropped off my great grandmother''s diamond to be removed from an old ring for my engagement ring and she mentioned something about this optical illusion in the stone. It is an old european cut, approx 60points, no visible flaws, and that when you look straight down on the stone, it looks like there is a hole at the bottom (but the bottom comes to a point). So my question is can anyone explain to my why it would look that way? Thanks so much for any help.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It isn't an optical illusion. All old stones have a large culet. Modern stones have it down to a pointy end, hence you don't see it. In old stones, it is sort of chopped off (like another facet), hence the hole appearance. To the naked eye, however, (say from the side view), the culet is very small and so it still looks pointy.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Chrono, it''s probably an open culet. You can be able to see all the way through the stone when the culet is open. Do a search on this or antique cushion and you''ll get an idea of what this looks like.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 5:31:53 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I agree with Chrono, it''s probably an open culet. You can be able to see all the way through the stone when the culet is open. Do a search on this or antique cushion and you''ll get an idea of what this looks like.
Ditto.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results