shape
carat
color
clarity

opnion setting 3ct center stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!
1.gif
I have E-ring 3.11 ct E.VVS2 my finger size is 3.5
Recently( about couple weeks ago) I did changed the setting from 4 prong basket with very low setting to 4 prong tiffany style .
however,
I don't know why.. but the Appearance of new setting become the diamond makes smaller to me than before maybe I've seen many huge ring in here ? cause my eye's use to see everybody's beautiful ring...

I did change the setting by very good jweler ( Northan california ) so I don't think that not cause
the jeweler's work.

do you think is it possible that 4 prong tiffany setting is more makes the doamond Appearance smaller than
basket setting?

I already start thinking to change setting again..sigh
my question is
do you think simple setting is more make the diamond pop out ?
one of my freind is wearing e-ring which like Daniel K Spilt Crown ( but her ring has 2 small stone each side ) setting center stone is 2.5 ct. she got the ring HW)
it's very sparkle and beautiful
30.gif

however
I really can't tell the center stone it self well. it's just all sparkling .
another word no idea how big the center stone. just looks banch diamond

another my freind is wearing 2.15ct (van cleef & A) and it's simple 4 prong solitaire setting.

it's way more looks big
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

in any setting I would like to go for the diamond pops out
30.gif

please give your an opinon.
thanks.
1.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post picture???? That would definitely help us to figure this out.....
2.gif

WFPaveChampagne

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think anything could make 3 carats look SMALL....esp on a 2.5 finger...

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
thnak you very much for your response
I took pic right now but the pic didn''t come out well. but anyway I do attoch it for the idea
( it''s taken under the shade ,we just had rain here )

it''s new setting.

P1040165.JPG

WFPaveChampagne

Shiny_Rock
Yowsers! It is beautiful!!!!

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
another one

ring2mai.jpg

WFPaveChampagne

Shiny_Rock
3.gif
I just got drool on my keyboard....

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Why did you take it out of the setting with the low-set 4-prong basket?

I will tell you that from my experience (three different center diamonds and 5 different setting in 16 years!) having the side stones really just makes a whole lot more "bling" factor and everything just works off of each other and you get a lot of "pop". That is probably why your friends'' rings, with smaller center diamonds, seem to stand out more than your solitaire.

When I got my 3.29 ct RB, I set it as a solitaire (6 prong) because I thought it would "stand" on its own. But, it just didn''t have the "wow" factor I thought it should have, so I set it in a three-stone setting, flanked by trillions, low basket set.

When I had it in the 6-prong setting, it definitely didn''t seem to sparkle as it does in the low basket setting; I thought that maybe because it had too much "metal" (six prongs) surrounding it when it was in the solitaire setting.

You are so lucky to have a stone of that size in an E color, VVS2 clarity! Mine doesn''t come close to that! And, to have a ring size of 2.5 -- I am so envious!

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
hi!! thank you very much for your response.
I''ve been thinking about it since last night! end up couldn''t sleep lot...sigh.

>Why did you take it out of the setting with the low-set 4-prong basket?

abou the low set basket one,
I did order to make the setting as much as thiner prong and band and lower than usual when I did order it.
( ofcorce the jeweler told me that it''s not good idea for the stone size. but I told them *just make it whatever I want to....)
Ive'' had wear the ring about 7 years.

however couple month ago I noticed that the diamond bottom is just little bet touching to my finger when I bend my finger.

also I got eternity ring last year.it was surprise gift so my husband didn''t think if I like high setting or low setting.
end up
my e-ring side was touching to the eternity ring diamond.so I needed to make e-ring more high setting.
AND I noticed that Diamond is moving ( I mean if I touch the center stone,it''s move)
I didn''t bring the ring to check up for 5 years...because the jeweler is NY and LA or Las vegas.
I just don''t wanted to send it in mail and can''t live without it even couple week.
end up I almost close to lost the center......
6.gif
what''s funny that the jeweler was way surprised to heared what''s going on and
one of worker come to my house to talk about new setting.because I told them that I go LA when I have time...
( I hate Air plane,so didn''t know when it can be)
also needed to cahnge more thick prong.
that''s the why I did change to tiffuny style 4 prong.
>I will tell you that from my experience (three different center diamonds and 5 different setting in 16 years!)

wow!! 5 diffrent setting!!! that''s sounds so fun!!! you must be excited everytime you got new setting.

>When I got my 3.29 ct RB, I set it as a solitaire (6 prong) because I thought it would "stand" on its own. But, it just didn''t have the "wow" factor I thought it should have, so I set it in a three-stone setting, flanked by trillions, low basket set.

I want to *wow* hahaha!!! sounds yours beautifl setting!!
>maybe because it had too much "metal" (six prongs) surrounding it when it was in the solitaire setting.

sounds right to me.
>You are so lucky to have a stone of that size in an E color, VVS2 clarity! Mine doesn''t come close to that! And, to have a ring size of 2.5 -- I am so envious!

thank you very much for you say so. but it''s diffucult to find 2.5 ring...
most time I have to order .
it''s took to 10 years to get it!!ahaha
in fact I was more intrested with color stone or fashion ring ( I am big fun of van cleef pave ring)so I always asked to hubby to get ruby or diamond fashion ring than simple diamond.

my husband didn''t have money when we got married. we both young so
first e-ring was 0.7 princess cut ( F SI 2 )and second is 2ct cushion ( E SI2) ,then 3.5ct ( round D VS1 )
but I keep them and I still wear the first one at our aniversary day.
what''s my problem is whatever I see beautiful e-ring I want to get same one!!!!!

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
headlight! is the picture of ring your''s?
WOW!!! it''s so beautiful
30.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A huge rock on a tiny finger does not leave allot of room for intricate design... but something should work
2.gif

I can''t figure out how the ~2 caraters looks larger to you on the other settings, but perhaps it is the little extras of the intricate settings that you want. Could it be ?

You might want to take a look on the website of "Art of Platinum" and perhaps "Icestore" ... that''s what I mean
2.gif

WFPaveChampagne

Shiny_Rock

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have any real advice, but I wanted to say WOW! I love your diamond. And on such elegant hands... Lucky you!

I love the look of a simple solitaire with an eternity wedding band. Can you post a picture of your e-ring with your eternity band?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
my husband didn''t have money when we got married. we both young so
first e-ring was 0.7 princess cut ( F SI 2 )and second is 2ct cushion ( E SI2) ,then 3.5ct ( round D VS1 )
but I keep them and I still wear the first one at our aniversary day.
what''s my problem is whatever I see beautiful e-ring I want to get same one!!!!!

Wait! You also have a 3.5c round D VS1? In additon to the 3.11 E VVS2?
23.gif

I think that the very low settings tend to make the stone look a bit smaller.

But this is not a problem when your stone is over 3 carats!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally don''t like the Tiffany 4 prong imitation settings with those stark sharp prongs esp for a stone that size...it makes it look too edgy and not fluid enough in my opinion. There are other Tiffany imitation settings out there that look much closer to the real thing, have you considered those at all? SuperbCert/Excel and WF have two very nice ones for under $1k.

Do you have any images of your old basket style head? I''d love to see that!

If you don''t like it, change it again! You should be happy in the end. I think that stone looks big but I kind of agree it should maybe look a bit bigger on a 2.5 size finger! That is just a miniscule finger, I am surprised the 3c doesn''t entirely cover it.

I don''t know if I would want to add actual side stones to that ring...it''s a completely different look, but you may want the 3 stone look. It''s a preference...what do you really love? Have you seen any rings on here you think are just beautiful? Maybe have a custom ring made or at least a custom head?

Personally I don''t like it when rings sit too low on the finger because I think they make the stones look smaller, but from your pictures that diamond looks like it is actually sitting up pretty high, so I''m a bit confused? Is this setting lower than the basket? Many times baskets sit lower than 4 prong.

Also, when did you get this diamond? Do you know the ''cut'' quality of it? It could possibly be a deeper stone which may account for why you feel it looks smaller than your friends? Sometimes if stones carry too much weight in their bottom half due to cut and depth, the top of the stone ends up looking smaller. Do you have any specs on the stone? aka a GIA cert or something?

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing fire!
your wife''s ring is so-----------------------beautiful!!! yes my last setting is the kind od low setting.
thank you very much fot response with my post!!
I love your watch!! my hasband has it !! it''s A .Lang 1 . you must have really nice taste of watch
1.gif

he corect Rolex vintage but now he is in love with Breguet ref 5307 BA.
but I like Vacheron C.
I was corecting watch but a watch is bracerett to me ,so my watch never right time
6.gif

here is pic of the old setting.

settingoldandnew.jpg

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
hi! Ana!
1.gif
thank you very much for your post.

>I can''t figure out how the ~2 caraters looks larger to you on the other settings, but perhaps it is the little extras of the intricate settings that you want. Could it be ?

maybe my writing English was not good . I am sorry about it.
it''s not my ring.

>one of my freind is wearing e-ring which like Daniel K Spilt Crown ( but her ring has 2 small stone each side ) setting center stone is 2.5 ct. she got the ring HW)
it''s very sparkle and beautiful
however
I really can''t tell the center stone it self well. it''s just all sparkling .
another word no idea how big the center stone. just looks banch diamond
>another my freind is wearing 2.15ct (van cleef & A) and it''s simple 4 prong solitaire setting.

I wanted to say the freind who wear 2.15 is looks more bigger to me than another freinnd.
( when I see over the table)

so I ''ve thinking that should I have diamond setting or keep simple one?

hi!
1.gif
thank you very much for your post
2.gif

I am still not good at degital camera but I did try.

hi! patty
1.gif

yes I all keep my ring.just because my husband dosen''t like to trade ....( well I don''t mind it at all. )
he is more romantic person... me ? NO ...
9.gif
I even don''t look old ring expect the first one.so I''d later get something else
but I guess it''s gose to future dougther in low.

hi!
1.gif
Mara
thank you very much for your an advice

>If you don''t like it, change it again! You should be happy in the end.
Mara!! thank you thank you thank you!! that''s what I need to hear.
...I don''t like the tiffany stle setting....( I just have it for about 13 days)

>I think that stone looks big but I kind of agree it should maybe look a bit bigger on a 2.5 size finger! That is just a miniscule finger, I am surprised the 3c doesn''t entirely cover it.
what''s my problem is my finger is really long.
you can see from the picture. my hubby has big hand but finger is not the diffrence.
usual people dosen''t notice, but once put hand togeter you can tell it.
>Also, when did you get this diamond? Do you know the ''cut'' quality of it? It could possibly be a deeper stone which may account for why you feel it looks smaller than your friends?

I am sorry again... what I wrote about my freind is mean not my stone is looks small.
I have freind''s that one has setting with many diamond ,one is simple tiffany style setting
to me it''s looks bigger who who has simple setting. so I wonder if I should keep simple setting
OR go for some setting with daimond.

>Sometimes if stones carry too much weight in their bottom half due to cut and depth, the top of the stone ends up looking smaller.
really!!!!
6.gif
you mean if I carry something havy diampnd would be small??

>Do you have any specs on the stone? aka a GIA cert or something?
yes, I have all paper. it''s from HW .

handsandm.jpg

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
this is another pic , it''s e-ring and A band.

2ringwedanden1.jpg

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
this is my hubby hand & my hand.I wonder long finger makes ring somall???
my hubby think I am nuts...

mesmhandpic.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2005 12:45:26 AM
Author: flower12
Dancing fire!
your wife's ring is so-----------------------beautiful!!! yes my last setting is the kind od low setting.
thank you very much fot response with my post!!
I love your watch!! my hasband has it !! it's A .Lang 1 . you must have really nice taste of watch
1.gif

he corect Rolex vintage but now he is in love with Breguet ref 5307 BA.
but I like Vacheron C.
I was corecting watch but a watch is bracerett to me ,so my watch never right time
6.gif

here is pic of the old setting.
flower12
i think the higher setting would make the stone look bigger but the negative side with the higher setting ,it's easier to get caught on your clothes and other objects.

btw; yes, i love my Lange 1 .what color combination is your husband's Lange 1? i'm thinking about buying a Patek Philippe # 5054 or 5055 in yellow gold.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the basket setting better...but that is just me. The 4 prong tiffany looks very stark and super high! Is that the one you have right now, and the basket is the old one? That pic with your wedding band looks beautiful! Is that the basket or the Tiffany??

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
hi! Date:

>i think the higher setting would make the stone look bigger

you think so?
I got really confused since I saw lot of beautiful ring pic here.
I told my hubby that my ring got shrunked.
39.gif

then he says my p#@# is shrunkend too....
7.gif

he dosen''t listen with serious
38.gif

maybe too much thinking about diamond
6.gif

>but the negative side with the higher setting ,it''s easier to get caught on your clothes and other objects.
you are right!!!!
I already did it
39.gif

>btw; yes, i love my Lange 1 .what color combination is your husband''s Lang 1?
it''s platinum I belive, I ususal don''t attention whatever he tallks about watch
2.gif

it''s ganna be so long story.
also he has Datografh .

>i''m thinking about buying a Patek Philippe # 5054 or 5055 in yellow gold.

I love Patek. I got calatrava WG from mother in low.
and I love it than my Rolex because it''s very simple.

I like 5055 . do you like YG?

btw, which insurance company do you recommend?
what we ahve now is bit expensive.so I am thinking to change.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree that the lower basket makes a diamond look and feel more substantial for some reason. Maybe because the focus is on the diamond's face? or because the basket covers and balances the pointy part/pavillon making everything feel chunkier/weightier? Hard to describe exactly, but I think I understand what you mean Flower.

Sidestones and halo/frame settings definitely accentuate center stone too! A lot of people here like the eternity band shank rings too..the matching w-band and e-ring look.

It takes a while to figure out what style you like best. Luckily, PS is a great place to learn, experiment and ask for advice. Many people here have changed setting multiple times. I went through three different ones with my first round 1ct diamond..now planning to find another one for making stud or leverback earrings(still unsure).

My new e-ring is a low-set oval(roval) that I love and should satisfy me until we're able to get my dream ring(which shifts/morphs way too often...I see something gorgeous here every week that helps me fine tune my ideas!).

Yes...Art of platinum/Leon Mege has some delicious designs.
18.gif

Let us know what you decide!
1.gif

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
> second is 2ct cushion ( E SI2)
sorry it was not cushion.
was oval

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
flower12

(2) platinum Lange watches
6.gif
your husband sure has a big appetite for watches.
9.gif
i like the Patek #5055 RG with the pink color dial.

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
Flower,

Thanks for posting the pic with your anniversary band. That is such a lovely combination!

I recently changed my setting from 6-prong, high set Tiffany-style to a 4-prong, lower head. And I posted thinking my diamond looks smaller! So I''m not sure now... I was thinking that the higher the head, the bigger the perception of the stone. My diamond is only 1 carat, though, nothing like yours.
9.gif

I always love the look of a classic Tiffany setting for a solitaire, but the more time I spend on Pricescope, the more I seem to like the basket styles, too.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL...yes, you certainly are nuts! :) How funny and great is it tht your hubby will pose for the hand shot! I think a 2.5 ring size is a record here... It looks huge. I like the basket actually...and it does tend to make a stone look a little larger I think.

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing fire
1.gif

>i like the Patek #5055 RG with the pink color dial.

sounds very beautiful one!!

yes my hubby is really crayzy with watch. but it''s ok because I can get something too!!
emteeth.gif

he got this one last week.( was very good price )

sbrolex.jpg

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Mara
1.gif

after I did changed to the Tiffany style. I realized that I like Basket better too.
the wedding band is basket.

Kaylagee
1.gif

>I have to agree that the lower basket makes a diamond look and feel more substantial for some reason. Maybe because the focus is on the diamond''s face? or because the basket covers and balances the pointy part/pavillon making everything feel chunkier/weightier?

Kaylagee
I agree with your opinon,
that''s what I wanted to say!!

>PS is a great place to learn, experiment and ask for advice.

I wish If I knew this site before! there is so many people has knowlege with Diamond.

bluedawg
1.gif

>I always love the look of a classic Tiffany setting for a solitaire, but the more time I spend on Pricescope, the more I seem to like the basket styles, too.

oh, did you changed the setting too?
me too, I still like basket !

moremoremore
1.gif

> How funny and great is it tht your hubby will pose for the hand shot!

hahaha
3.gif

but he''s finger is not short at all... he didin''t know why I was taking pic of hand
9.gif

>I like the basket actually...and it does tend to make a stone look a little larger I think.

me too...
I will change the setting maybe next month.
now I am thinking to should I go for setting with Diamond or not?
in fact it''s not good to have samll ring size because price is same and most time I have to order to make the setting.
and price go up more...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results