shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Abomb

Rough_Rock
I have been reading, researching and browsing the net for a couple of weeks. Before I began I knew NOTHING about diamonds.

To get to the point I found this site and it has been most helpful, lots of insightful opinions being tossed around.

So now..

I plan on proposing in Mid October. Even after reading many semi negative to down right negative opinions on Birks I have decided that I will be buying there. I love the Birks Blue setting and feel my g/f will as well. I know I am paying a premium but feel that she will appreciate the name brand as well we are likely to be moving around Canada and with Birks in every major city it is a plus.

Enough history. Here is the stone I have almost decided on. I guess I just want to hear that it sounds good from someone else.

.32 VS2 H very good cut, very good polish, good symmetry, no fluorescence. Total Depth 61.3
Table 57%
Crown Angle 34.1
Pavilion depth 43.5%

Other specs I know: medium girdle, no culet

This is set in a platinum ring for $3500 CDN.

Thanks

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

.32 VS2 H very good cut, very good polish, good symmetry, no fluorescence. Total Depth 61.3
Table 57%
Crown Angle 34.1
Pavilion depth 43.5%

Other specs I know: medium girdle, no culet

This is set in a platinum ring for $3500 CDN.

Thanks

----------------

Well Abomb:

3500 canadian converts over to 2550.00 US dollars. Now I am accounting for 1000 dollars for the setting and you would have 1500 dollars left over. With $1500 dollars you can get a branded ideal cut hearts and arrows stone or unbranded stone in the 1/2 carat h vs2 range.

Look at it this way. You can spend a thousand on a setting. You can then get a 1/2 carat hearts and arrows stone which cut wise will outperform the current stone your interested in. It's a consideration and it seems your preference is leaning towards the brand name setting. If you think she will prefer the brand name setting and smaller stone over the bigger diamond which will probably perform better visually and a setting which will still be nice, but not the brand name you qoute than those are the 2 things you have to choose from. You can get a better diamond for a better price and a brand name setting which might not be the Birks Blue but dvatche has some beautiful platinum settings around the thousand dollar range.

It's all a matter of your own preference, but personally I know my fiance would apprecciate a bigger stone which would perform better..

This is just my 2 cents though, but I hope I have outlined some other options for you to consider...

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results