Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
Just tell me what you think. This is what the vendor said:

The photo was take under a 5000 Kelvin fluorescent. This lamp emulates natural daylight and is quite well balanced, with neither a weighting toward the blue nor red ends of the spectrum.

I will also give you my thoughts on these gems, since still photos tend to show less and more than the eye sees.

The 2.36 ct, to my eye, is slightly more saturated and slightly more red than the 1.49 ct. The inclusions in the 2.36 ct, which are quite visible under the magnification of the camera, are actually not very visible with the naked eye. This stone also has a lot of fire when moved in the light.

2spinels.jpg
 

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 5, 2011
Messages
1,298
I think they both look like a nice magenta color, but I would not have thought red for either. I like the faceting of the one on the right, what look were you going for?
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
I"m basically just trying to get an idea of what I like. Most of the time I'm OK with inclusions and Ithought the inclusions in the one on the right were interesting. I just wasn't sure if the color is "Mahenge'y" or not. There seems to be a lot of variation.
 

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
1,779
athenaworth|1311258849|2973731 said:
I"m basically just trying to get an idea of what I like. Most of the time I'm OK with inclusions and Ithought the inclusions in the one on the right were interesting. I just wasn't sure if the color is "Mahenge'y" or not. There seems to be a lot of variation.
So, what is your gut reaction to these stones?

Like you, I'm not someone who has to have IF gemstones (which is fortunate, since those are rare!), but I also don't like it when the inclusions affect the performance of the gemstones. In the larger spinel, I'd be very concerned that the performance would be affected. With both of them, the color veers too much toward the purple end of the spectrum to be the color that most people think of when they think "Mahenge." That said, what are you looking for? Color is such a personal thing, it really depends on what you are looking for. I'll also add that if this raspberry jam kind of color is what draws you, I suspect there may be better examples on the market.
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
I think I like the more reddish pink with maybe a splash of purple. Does that even exist?
 

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
1,779
athenaworth|1311260298|2973750 said:
I think I like the more reddish pink with maybe a splash of purple. Does that even exist?
It certainly does, and it's a color I'm very fond of. However, you don't have to pay the premium for the "Mahenge" location to get that color. That's why I was asking what you were really looking for, because on this forum sometimes there's kind of a frenzy attached to a particular stone (Tsavorite! Loliondo spess! Mahenge! etc) or cut (Asscher! cushion!) that becomes the flavor du jour, and it isn't actually always what the poster really, really at heart loves. It's easy to get caught up in the hype.

So what are you looking for? What makes your heart go pitter-pat? ;-)
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
Well, I love that color I mentioned, and of the two spinels I've seen I love their shine compared to my tourmaline. I drank the kool aid (I hate when I drink the kool aid!) I think I can only be happy if it's a mahedge as opposed to another tourm.

However, I have to say that ever since I've seen the ring below, I've known that I want that color. I've tried getting it in other fashions, but now I know what it is, I want am obsessing about getting one.

il_fullxfull.234479104.jpg
 

LD

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
9,707
There's a big difference between the two on the hand in your first post and then the ring you've posted above. If you're trying to get a similar colour to the ring then you need to look for an orangey red.

The two on the hand are purple red/pink but I wouldn't say they were leaning more to red. The inclusions in the bigger stone are quite apparent and, whilst I'm not against inclusions and often like them, this stone really has a bit too much (for me) and I can't help feeling it'll spoil its performance. Also the inclusions take over a bit and it's difficult to appreciate the faceting. The faceting on the left hand side (the smaller stone) is more apparent but you can see a distinct bowtie. Are they Mahengeish? I'm not sure they're as vibrant as some material I've seen but they are pretty.
 

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
600
I'm not really good at reading these yet. But . . . of these two, I definitely prefer the larger -- the smaller looks a little too dark. It's so difficult to judge by a single picture like this, especially a comparison shot, b/c they have to share the shot. But the smaller's cut looks a little blah.

I see pinkypink little chunks near the corners of the larger gem, but overall I keep thinking this is more what I'm looking for in a rubellite tourmaline right now. And not necessarily that prime Mahenge "WOW" color. But I may be totally wrong.

AND, it's all subjective -- it's what makes YOU happy. I think another big deciding factor, beyond your reaction when YOU view this pic, is price. Price can always change your mind. With these two in mind -- do you like them b/c you have a reaction to them, or because you're desperate to have one of your own?

(I have done that a lot in this whole learning process -- pick less than top, just to satisfy the gem craze b/c something's right there, right now, and at the somewhat "right" price.)
 

ZestfullyBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
1,992
athenaworth|1311261541|2973766 said:
Well, I love that color I mentioned, and of the two spinels I've seen I love their shine compared to my tourmaline. I drank the kool aid (I hate when I drink the kool aid!) I think I can only be happy if it's a mahedge as opposed to another tourm.

However, I have to say that ever since I've seen the ring below, I've known that I want that color. I've tried getting it in other fashions, but now I know what it is, I want am obsessing about getting one.

You get what makes your heart sing! It really has nothing to do with the koolaid. If this is what you want then darn it you should have it. The spinel ring in the photo is delightful. Remember don't settle on any mahedge just to join the club. Get the one that brings you to your knees. You have to love it, you have to wear it, you will be the one displaying it. Last but not least you are the one who will be staring at it day in and day out. ;-)
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
ZestfullyBling|1311281057|2974024 said:
athenaworth|1311261541|2973766 said:
Well, I love that color I mentioned, and of the two spinels I've seen I love their shine compared to my tourmaline. I drank the kool aid (I hate when I drink the kool aid!) I think I can only be happy if it's a mahedge as opposed to another tourm.

However, I have to say that ever since I've seen the ring below, I've known that I want that color. I've tried getting it in other fashions, but now I know what it is, I want am obsessing about getting one.

You get what makes your heart sing! It really has nothing to do with the koolaid. If this is what you want then darn it you should have it. The spinel ring in the photo is delightful. Remember don't settle on any mahedge just to join the club. Get the one that brings you to your knees. You have to love it, you have to wear it, you will be the one displaying it. Last but not least you are the one who will be staring at it day in and day out. ;-)
You couldn't be more right, Zesty. I sent the "dream color" pic to JW - let's see what he has to say. ;-)
 

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
4,092
I love that ring as well and have to say that my pear is SO close to that exact color IRL.

You will be the one wearing whatever you end up with so find one that sings to you. I don't care for the faceting on the first one, the second one has too many inclusions to me and I fear would hurt it's performance. I think you should keep looking.

I feel your agony. I had to have a Mahenge myself after seeing all the lovely ones on PS. I knew that it had to be more in the red tones but I wanted the pink too.
 

momofive

Rough_Rock
Joined
Mar 13, 2011
Messages
43
I have to agree with the others. I like the second stone, but the inclusions would not make me happy. I love, love the ring. Where did you find that setting?? I'm new to the colored stone craze, so please indulge me. Is that a Mahenge?
 

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
1,779
athenaworth|1311281245|2974028 said:
[
You couldn't be more right, Zesty. I sent the "dream color" pic to JW - let's see what he has to say. ;-)
I hope he has, or can find, what you're looking for, it's a gorgeous color!
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,517
Based on pictures alone, the two cushions you posted couldn't look more different than the pear in the ring. Actually, I prefer the colour of the cushions compared to the pair. They are better saturated than the pear and the purplish hue is pleasing to my eye. The pear looks orangish red on my monitor. However, I'm concerned the larger cushion's inclusions might distract the eye, rather than make it look interesting in a positive manner.
 

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
1,934
The first two stones have quite a bit of purple in them but I do find that the color is nice. I'm an orangy red fan myself so I like your inspiration stone, but I do think it lacks the vibrance and intensity of color that creates that wow factor. So, while the first two stones are nice, they aren't comparable to your ideal IMO.
 

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
880
I'm still new to colored stones so take this with a grain of salt but are the dark spots in the right stones the inclusions? Its hard to tell sometimes it can be the lighting but if those are inclusions, they would be way too many for my tastes.
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
They're kind of bubbles I think, but yeah, that's still inclusions.

I wound up buying a little 1.14 carat from DB and already have it set. It has really scratched my itch well.
 

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
4,092
athenaworth|1311372575|2974875 said:
They're kind of bubbles I think, but yeah, that's still inclusions.

I wound up buying a little 1.14 carat from DB and already have it set. It has really scratched my itch well.
Wow, you were ready for one :o .
 

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 30, 2009
Messages
1,770
I saw that listing on DB and almost pounced on it too. I'd love to see it AthenaWorth!
 

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
1,779
bright ice|1311373992|2974887 said:
Who is DB?
The Site Which Shall Not Be Named...shhh!


Wow, Athena, you work fast! :o

So, photos? :naughty:
 

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
1,779
herekittykitty, I thought we were expressly forbidden to name that site. Has that changed?
 

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 30, 2009
Messages
1,770
Aoife|1311375294|2974898 said:
herekittykitty, I thought we were expressly forbidden to name that site. Has that changed?
Oh, I didn't know. I can't edit it so I emailed a mod.
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
You know how it is on DB - you see something, you've gotta swoop in! Especially for the price. Deorwine was the previous owner and she's been just as sweet as can be. I hope she'll post her new stone soon. I told her I'd wait but as you can tell I'm not a fan of waiting.

So without further ado

IMG_4931.JPG

IMG_4933.JPG

IMG_7337.JPG

IMG_7341.JPG
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Tennis Bracelet Love
    Tennis Bracelet Love

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top