shape
carat
color
clarity

opinions

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
As uncomfortable as it makes me to post outside of colored stones it seems that here is the appropriate place for this. Ive been making this ring moving and shaping the 20kt gold gingerly with the torch and gravity I really like the fluid shapes and surface. The metal is pretty much distributed around the ring as I wanted and I could go on to create a seat for setting a stone as I intended. But now Im considering leaving it as is. I've already compromised/changed my mind about the stone to set in there, since there wasnt enough material to hold the 6.9mm stone I originally wanted. I decided to set my chrysoberyl cateye from gemtrader instead and made a new batch of gold to set the 6.9mm purple spinel. So I have another ring started with more metal volume to work with for the spinel. Should I make the seat and set the cat in this one or keep this as is and make a 3rd batch of 20kt to fashion a setting for the cat? Would you wear a 20kt gold ring that looked little other than slag? Also wondering if cateye ring should be finished as slag or hammered.

slag1.jpg

slag2.jpg

slag3.jpg

slag4.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
here is the cat trying on a hammered silver setting, just to give an idea how it might look.

catprospectus.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
VL, Here's my suggestion...wear the ring as is for a couple of hours and see if you love it as is. I would worry about the uneven shape being comfortable...which for me is almost as important as the design. Then...tape/glue a life-size pic of the cats eye onto it and try that for a couple of hours and see if you like it winking at you. Not ideal, but since you are making it yourself, it's only you who are in the hurry to decide. The gold and the stone are willing to wait while the artist thinks about it. If you don't like it, you can always rearrange or melt it down again.

Laura

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
your ring is very organic. i like it. took me a while though because the photo reflects so much blue.......

i agree that wearing it a bit to see what you think. i almost think you'll want to leave it as is......i'm not sure it needs a stone at all despite the fact you designed it to do so!

MoZo

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results