shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions? Yellow diamond --> solitaire to tapered baguettes.

abh99

Rough_Rock
Hi all, long time lurker here.

Would love your thoughts on turning my engagement ring (May 2013) into a piece that better matches my 1950s era wedding band.

Here are the stats:

Cushion
6.00 x 5.40 x 3.65 mm
1.09 Cts.
SI-1 Fancy Yellow

Proportions and finish are both very good. Round full cut French pave down the sides.

Besides wanting it to look more cohesive with my band, I have issues with the ring. I think the diamond is set too high, and with too much metal around it. It never looks clean. I had a jeweler cut out some of the gold in the head so that I could better clean it myself. I also think the double prongs make the stone look smaller than it is. In my dreams, it's a more square cut cushion. Hey, is it possible to put a cushion cut in fishtail prongs? :)

I have been looking at settings with tapered baguettes, and straight baguettes as well for the new setting.

Attached are pics of my rings together, as well as what a jeweler mocked up for me.

Any words of wisdom or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you!

img_1579.png

screen_shot_2016-09-30_at_11.png

screen_shot_2016-09-30_at_0.png

screen_shot_2016-09-30_at_1.png

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Opinions? Yellow diamond --> solitaire to tapered baguet

I'm not one of the members that's great with CAD's and i'm really just a newbie. However, being completely honest, i really dont love baguettes with a cushion and not with a stone your size. Not really sure that it would go with your current band, i think the CAD is more of a modern feel?

Is this similar to what you're going for? i do prefer the tapered baguettes and that these are angled.
cushinbaguette.jpg

Is your band channel set band? I wish i could see closer. Anyway, are you sold on the baguettes? Since you like the fishtail prongs, what about something like these?

fishtailprongs.jpg

fishtailprongs1.jpg

fishtailprongs2.jpg

fishtailprongs3.jpg

abh99

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it! Here are a few more up close shots (god, I need a manicure). My band has single-cut diamonds, channel set with milgrain detail.

I LOVE the pics you posted, but the jeweler I am working with says single-cut diamonds are extremely hard to find and match.

And can you put a cushion in a fishtail setting? I've googled it aplenty and it doesn't seem to exist.

See below for the straight baguette pic I am lusting after.

_38376.jpg

_38377.jpg

_38378.jpg

screen_shot_2016-09-30_at_10.png

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yes, could be done with a fishtail head with triple prongs at the corners. RB or OEC are the usual shapes you see in those, but here's a pale yellow Asscher with baguettes. (Found the pic on Pinterest.)

asscherfishtail.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Side baguettes are fine. I assume that would be done with white diamonds. The jeweler mockup isn't good, though. The side baguettes need to be tilted downward as the ring curves. This one is by Steven Kirsch.

skring-trio-baguettes.jpg

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

abh99|1475261525|4082434 said:
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it! Here are a few more up close shots (god, I need a manicure). My band has single-cut diamonds, channel set with milgrain detail.

I LOVE the pics you posted, but the jeweler I am working with says single-cut diamonds are extremely hard to find and match.

And can you put a cushion in a fishtail setting? I've googled it aplenty and it doesn't seem to exist.

See below for the straight baguette pic I am lusting after.

From what i gather, single cuts are more expensive but surely not impossible. Do you HAVE to use this jeweler? i mean, if you're redoing your setting, then find someone that can do exactly what you want, kwim?

i do like your inspiration pic. Looks like the baguettes are angled though which i prefer over your jewelers mock up.

abh99

Rough_Rock

Yes, they would be with white diamonds. You think they're "fine," but do you have any other suggestions or ideas? I'm not married (no pun intended) to the baguettes.

The shoulders are straight because I mentioned my love of the Anna Sheffield "Bea" ring. But I agree they look off.

And no, I don't have to use this jeweler. Of course, do it right or don't do it at all. I would like to stay under $2K (hoping to get some $ back in the trade-in).

b2001fdy_side_grande.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

abh99|1475269040|4082476 said:

I would definitely not take the head out. If your diamond would fit, they could line the inside of the head with yellow gold. But I would have a new ring made rather than taking the head out of an antique ring that is in great condition. I personally don't love fishtail prongs, and I feel like on your size stone, it might cover too much of the diamond unless they are made to be very small and delicate.

I think that style is good with your wedding band, and I think the wedding band needs to be sent to the ringmaker to make the height and width of the rings match up. Caysie van Bebber or David Klass would be good for this project.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results