shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions wanted for 3stone ratios

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are considering adding two smaller stones to my solitaire to make it a 3 stone. My center stone is 6.05x6.05 and I really don''t know what a good ratio would be. I was thinking .25 or so because that way not only would they be lower towards the band so the center stone popped, they would be smaller too. I don''t want to detract from the center stone.

What do you all think? I asked a couple ladies last night for their thoughts and decided to go public now.

Its too hard to guage how it will look ON from photos so Im likely going to stop in a few places to try stuff on and see what they look like. But I wwant some thoughts in the process.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture of my ring - the center stone is 1.24; the sides are .30.

I think I could have gone with .25 stones.....I, too, wanted to showcase the center stone.

If you like the proportion look here, then go with .25 each side....would be the same ratio (25% of center). If you'd like even more showcase, I'd go with .20 each side (20%).

3-stone proportions DR.JPG

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Good Question - often debated here on PS - and something I have been trying to decide myself.

Click below to read an excellent discussion and see some nice pictures.

3 Stone Discussion

Myself - I like the 2-1 ratio. That is - EACH side stone should be half the ct of the center stone.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome! Thank you. I like your ring a lot!
When I was searching I didn't find that thread. Thanks for posting that. I saved that chart patty posted. Im thinking the two on the right look the best to me but the center is almost 2x what I have.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/9/2004 10:34:07 AM ame wrote:

Im thinking the two on the right look the best to me but the center is almost 2x what I have. ----------------

No.... those pictures were just supposed to show the relative size of ceneter and sides.

I had the ratios and then calculated what the weight of the sides woudl be for the 1.5cts center in question! If you decide which model looks best, than the weight of sidestones can be worked out backwords starting with a size (in milimeters) as well.

The two pictures to the right have the sides 65%-70% of the center's diameter - this means about 4-4.2mm relative to the diameter of your stone. The weight of those would be about 0.3cts each, or just below.
read.gif

Hope this helps
1.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I was guessing right! I have made a few little models in Illustrator for myself using a 4mm(.3ct?) and a 3.5mm side stone (roughly .25ct?) and I think I like the .3ct myself. Ill try stuff on and see what I think. We may not even do this but to have a feel for what we are getting into, its good to know.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is what I did here a minute ago. Which do you prefer?

6mmwsides.jpg

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
I like the second one with the smaller sidestones...i really like the look of the sidestones more as accents with the center stone being the center of attention.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
The charts I have show that a 4mm diameter stone is usually .23-.25 carats and a 3.5mm diameter stone is usually .16 or .17c.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results