shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions wanted! Can someone help make sense of these report

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
After what seems like forever, I feel like I am close to finding a stone.

This is this diamond that I’ve been looking at:
http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-131784.htm

Here are the reports etc on it.  Please help me make sense of it, especially the Sarin report, which I am less familiar with.  I welcome comments & opinions. 

emsmile.gif

Thanks!

Carat Weight: 2.37
Color: E Clarity: SI1
Depth%: 59.8
Table %: 55
Symmetry: VG
Polish: EX
Girdle: TN-
Culet: N
Fluorescence: N
Measurements: 8.68 x 8.75 x 5.21
Cut Grade: Ideal
.5 HCA

Ideal Scope:

40x Magnification:

Sarin Report:

HCA Grade:

Thanks for the help! 

-Steve

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The stone is to my liking - there are others that say it will show darkness when seen from very close up.
if you note the 3 areas of darkness near the outside star points - these are because the camera lens is blocking the light from there. A slight ly deeper pav or steeper crown angle would have taken those away.

So if you have a big head of hair and you look from less than 10 inches - the stone will appear a little dark in places.

but from a normal view distance of say 14 to 20 inches it will be ablaze.
It has a better spread and will look about 5-10% bigger than most other ideal cuts and it will not show the dirt anywhere near as much.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh - and the girdle is thin - so minimum 6 prongs and not too high if it is going in a ring - or rubbed in bezel settting - that will protect the girdle from chipping.

No 4 prong very high settings for this baby

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 2:18:27 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
The stone is to my liking - there are others that say it will show darkness when seen from very close up.
if you note the 3 areas of darkness near the outside star points - these are because the camera lens is blocking the light from there. A slight ly deeper pav or steeper crown angle would have taken those away.

So if you have a big head of hair and you look from less than 10 inches - the stone will appear a little dark in places.

but from a normal view distance of say 14 to 20 inches it will be ablaze.
It has a better spread and will look about 5-10% bigger than most other ideal cuts and it will not show the dirt anywhere near as much.
Gary,
Thanks for writing back. This stone would be used for a ring. It would go in either a WF or SuperbCert 6 prong Tiffany replica setting. Would you envision any problems with something like that?

This seems to be a good stone, the compromises as little as possible in my budget.

Thanks!

Oh, why would it not show dirt as much? I bought an US cleaner as a day after engagement gift. ;-)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
not everyone agrees with Garry on these shallow/shallow combos.
There are some good reasons to avoid them.
There is thread after thread around here on it so im going to spare my arm.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dont love the v-thin girdle either, find out how much of it is v-thin and get insurance and as Garry said watch how you set it.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 9:10:20 PM
Author: strmrdr
I dont love the v-thin girdle either, find out how much of it is v-thin and get insurance and as Garry said watch how you set it.

Strmrdr,
If you see any that you think are worth checking out, please send a link... I''m looking for a D-F, SI1, 2.25 ct+ ... Oh $26k budget

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It has a very nice spread and still a nice cut even if it''s a bit too shallow for some here. I''d take it, but take Garry''s recommendations for setting it and make sure it''s insured during the setting process and insure it youself immediately upon receiving it just to be extra careful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results