shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meffaman

Rough_Rock
After 12yrs of marriage I'm looking to buy my wife a new ring. She isn't the type to get worked up over this sort of thing and is happy with what she has, but she deserves more than what I was able to afford when we got engaged, so here I am, driving myself crazy wanting to make the right decision. I won't settle for junk, so I've been limiting my search to quality stones.

I'm set on a 3 stone RB setting, something about that look is really nice. Anyway, I figured I'd start off by choosing the side stones, and I'd like to know what the group here thinks of these:
Side Stones

Carat Weight: 0.50
Clarity: VVS2
Color: E
Shape: Round brilliant
Cut External
Polish: GIA ~ Very Good
Symmetry: GIA ~ Excellent
Proportions: AGS ~ Ideal
Cut Internal
Symmetry ~ Hearts & Arrows
Light Return ~ Excellent

Carat Weight: 0.50
Clarity: VVS2
Color: E
Shape: Round brilliant
Cut External
Polish: GIA ~ Excellent
Symmetry: GIA ~ Excellent
Proportions: AGS ~ Ideal
Cut Internal
Symmetry ~ Hearts & Arrows
Light Return ~ Excellent
BrillianceScope
White Light Return ~ Very High
Colored Light Return ~ Very High +
Scintillation ~ High

$5343 for both.

I prefer an e/f color. The clarity on these is higher than my standards, I'd go as low as VS2, but I can't find matching stones in this color & size. I'm also willing to drop down in size a bit. That aside, I'd like to get a feel for what people think of the stats on these stones. Do they match as good as I'm going to get? Is the girdle thickness Ok? That sort of thing... Of course I'd like to know opinions on price as well. I'm the type to bargain and I figure there must be some room to move on these, though I understand the company needs to make a profit, so I'm not unreasonable.

Thanks in advance!
wavey.gif

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Gday Meffaman

Love your sentiments about giving the good lady the best.

There are 3 Billion guys in the world and she choose you; enough reason

If you can post the crown angles, pavilion angles, table size and girdle thickness there are a number of regulars that will go to great lengths to help you in your choice. Your vendor should be able to give you these details
Good matching pairs on 0.50cts are very easy to find so you don’t need to settle for vvs.
Johan
Melbourne Diamond Exchange Ltd

meffaman

Rough_Rock
Thanks MDX, here's more detailed information on the 2 stones.

E
VVS2
Diameter:5.13-5.16mm
Weight:.50
Total Depth:61.3%
Table Size:54.7%
Crown Angle:34.5%
Girdle Thickness:0.78-1.36% Thin-Medium
Pavilion Angle:40.8%
Pavilion Depth:43%
Culet:0.6%

E
VVS2
Diameter:5.13-5.15mm
Weight:.51
Total Depth:61.3%
Table Size:55.4%
Crown Angle:34.2%
Girdle Thickness:1.17-1.95 Thin-Sl.thick
Pavilion Angle:40.8%
Pavilion Depth:43%
Culet:0.6%

$5343 for both.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Those stones do look good. The first scores a 0.9 on the HCA, the second a 1.1, both excellent scores.

However, if you're looking to save $1K by a tiny drop in color and clarity, White Flash has four F VS2 0.528-0.530 A Cut Above H&A stones for $2130 each.

Haggling really depends on the vendor. Are you getting the stones from a local jeweler? Often a retail establishment will have room to haggle because of the incredible mark-up. Are you getting them from an online vendor? If the vendor has access to the same stones as other vendors, then s/he is probably already giving you the best price he can. You can always ask, but don't be surprised if the answer is no.

Edited -- I think these stones are from Good Old Gold, which would explain the dirth of information available on them. I don't think that GOG haggles . . . you may be able to find a stone with similar specs online for less $, but you won't have instant access too all the information on it. GOG is the best at providing the WHOLE scoop, and you have to keep in mind that all their time spent putting that information on the web (and the $ for the equipment to do so) is worth a little more.

I bet that GOG would be able to find you a "jammin"
1.gif
stone for the center as well. They really are one of a kind.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Aren't you putting the cart before the horse? IMHO, I'd concentrate on the stunner center stone - then move to the sides to match.

Or did I miss that you already have the center stone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Size, color, table sizes match perfectly: sure bet! Now you'd need a D-F-VS center for those and you are done.

It might be easier (nad cheaper) for a jeweler to provide the sides (and the right jeweler could provide them at this cut quality standard too) but why not get them? These are great.

meffaman

Rough_Rock
Fire&Ice,

You didn't miss anything, I'm just not well educated on the process and didn't realize the center stone is the best place to start. I'm completely new to all of this, but I think I'm starting to get a handle on some of the important factors and would like to share my thoughts, if I may.

What I think I'm starting to realize is that selecting diamonds, whether big or small, clean or not so clean, is that it mainly comes down to what pleases the eye, and of course what the budget dictates, though to a lesser extent.

What really makes things confusing for me though, is when I see an SI stone with a G color that scores a 9.8 on the Isee chart and Very High on the Brilliance scope, versuses a VS stone with a D-F color that doesn't perform as well in those categories. And I'm talking about similar sized stones that are all considered to have ideal cut proportions. My guess is that it's just another example of mother nature making everything unique.

I'm the type of person that will almost always buy something that costs more due to quality because it lasts longer or performs better making life easier, but diamond searching has me beside myself. In my eyes it's very similar to buying a piece of art like a picture, where you like what the artist did with the paint, and you're not so concerned about the canvas underneath.

Rolling with the underneath/inclusion thought, do inclusions play a major role in how a stone performs with respect to light return and brilliance?

Thanks for letting me go on there, so many thoughts and factors all coming out at the same time has me a bit dizzy.....

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
First, hat's off to you wanting to please your wife with this lovely gift.

That said, let me think out loud here. While one has to view all the componets & get an idea of what one wants, the logical first step (to me) would be the main event - the center stone.

It wouldn't be a F&I response if I didn't question the colorless (DE) choice. A well cut G stone will sparkle like mad & won't break the bank (something women are particular about - we're practical sorts that balance quality/quanity/cost frequently) Just something to consider. I wouldn't limit your quest solely based on colorless stones.

That said, what size will your center stone be? And, what type of 3 stone setting are you leaning towards? Pick a well cut pleasing center stone for the main event. Then, think about the setting.

Once that is resolved, then find the side stones. The side stones are dependant on the center stone. You don't want the tail waggin the dog by going in reverse. Find something complimentary. Since the side stone are smaller, you can go down one color or so. But, that center stone gotsa scream loudly & the others scream in harmony with the center leading the chorus. Make sense?

As far as clarity goes, it has the least impact on the beauty, brilliance & transparancy of a stone (as long as you don't go to far down the ladder of quality)

meffaman

Rough_Rock
I'm looking at 1ct in size for the center stone. I think you're right, make the middle stone the star and the side stones the back up singers. I'm not stuck on the colorless range, and I'm finding G stones seem to have an excellent balance of quality and price.

Here's one that caught my attention:
G Stone
I'm also wondering how this cheaper stone will compare if put side by side? Hugh difference, or minor and worth saving $2k
Cheaper G Stone

As you might have guessed, I've been through a lot of stones on GOG's site. I like the idea of having all that information available.

One last question (maybe), what do people think of feather inclusions? I thought I read somewhere that they can be a weak point in the stone? Or is this only if it extends to the outer portion of the stone?
read.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feathers... unless they are huge (such as there may be in I clarity or lower), no issue. Again, the relation between the crack (that's a feather, just some internal fracture) and the volume of crystal around is the important point. If the thing breakes the surface it may still not be an issue, if it spans the thickness of the stone (say in a thin area near the girdle) than it surely is a detraction.

As for the two stones you have picked up: they should appear identical given the reports on cut. If you care about invisible perfection, and a 0.05mm deviation of an arrow's tip bothers you, than this is a completely different perspective than mine. To me, there is no relevant quality difference between the two in color, clarity or cut. The one further test which may make me think differently is having those between my fingers.

one Q though: are you sure about matching the G centre with the E sides? The combination does not make alot of sense to me, and I am quite sure Jonathan could find the sides for you (G-VS comes to mind for them).

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/24/2004 2:33:57 PM meffaman wrote:

I'm also wondering how this cheaper stone will compare if put side by side? Hugh difference, or minor and worth saving $2k
Cheaper G Stone

One last question (maybe), what do people think of feather inclusions? I thought I read somewhere that they can be a weak point in the stone? Or is this only if it extends to the outer portion of the stone?
read.gif
----------------

Wow, the less expensive stone sounds nice & really well priced. The difference between the two stones is you are paying a premium for VS1 grade over a much more discounted SI1 grade. Diamonds are graded under 10x power. So, you are paying( VS1) for something you may not see. The less expensive stone sounds like it is really well cut also.

Personally, I love this G/SI1 stone. I favor stones w/ med/strong blue fluor as this one does. The only caveat is that sometimes stone w/ fluor can be hard to match. Why don't you call him about this one?

I tend to be the lone wolf on this board & don't like feathers. But, ask about the feathers & see if they present a problem where they are located.

Good luck. What is her finger shape? What is she wearing now?

meffaman

Rough_Rock
one Q though: are you sure about matching the G centre with the E sides? The combination does not make alot of sense to me, and I am quite sure Jonathan could find the sides for you (G-VS comes to mind for them).

No, I think if I went with a G colored center stone then the E stones I saw would be out. As mentioned earlier, I wouldn't want the backup singers outshining the center stage star.

Wow, all of a sudden I'm saving thousands, and I haven't bought a thing yet. This is great!
6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results