shape
carat
color
clarity

opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

malisdad

Rough_Rock
I am considering a pear diamond with a GIA Rept as follows

Pear Brillant
12.12x7.45x4.88
2.7 ct
depth 65%
Table 62%
Girdle med to Vtk, F
Cutlet Small
polish good
symmetry good
SI1
H
Flor - none

I am not looking for an appraisal here , just trying to get an opinion if "on paper" the stone looks good and should be considered for purchase. It certianly shows up nice, but I know little about proportions, symmetry etc.

From the GIA info provided is there anything to be concerned about that should be discussed with an appraiser?

Also, What would be a hi to low price range for this stone purchased in a retail store?

THANK YOU in advance!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can check out cut grades for fancies at www.gemappraisers.com. Click on DIY cut grading, enter your #'s and see what it says. 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B are all very good for fancies, you may want to think twice on a 3-4 type stone but there are no die hard rules on what is beautiful.

Its hard to gauge cuts of fancies with just numbers, an ideal scope or scope image would help immensely.

For pricing estimates, you can go onto www.pricescope.com and run a search on a similar type pear online and see what the pricing online would be. Then add some $$ to it and you've got a B&M price.
2.gif
How much to add? that's the confusing part. But say if a stone was around $10k online, I'd expect to pay possibly $11-13k for it offline at a B&M, depending on the B&M.

I ran a quick search and found nothing super similar, but for a 2.62 H VS2 it would be around $14k online...so for a slightly larger H SI1 offline...possibly around $15k or so. Depends...could be less. Also, would caution that with an SI1 in a stone that large, you should be SURE that it's eye clean. Usually with round brilliants, I would advise anything over 2c really be scrutinized in an SI1 category...you will find eye-clean SI1's but the larger the stone, the more visible inclusions can be too. Just confirm with the vendor.

Good luck!!

malisdad

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply. The cut grade as I see it is a 3A and looks to me eye clean. I was concerned the depth % of 65.5% was a bit high making the stone appear smaller. What Do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results