shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions please! - which of these 2 diamonds is best?

darlingwind

Rough_Rock
Hi PS-ers!

My SO and I are finally picking a diamond for our engagement. We are down to 2 stones and would love to get some last minute input before pulling the trigger. The gemologist at BGD only said that they are both great. The stones are the same price, so we can't narrow it down based on that. It's nice that Diamond B is a touch bigger, but if Diamond A is the better performer overall, we can forego the .04-.05 mm size increase.

We are feeling very lost, and yet really do have to choose one of them. If you could lend your expertise and knowledge to help us make this decision, it would save me a sleepless night. Thank you!

Diamond A

Measurements 5.13 x 5.14 x 3.17
Table % 55.8
Depth % 61.6
Crown % 15.4
Crown Angle 34.8
Star % 46
Pav Angle 40.7
Pavillion % 42.9
Lower Girdle % 77
Girdle Thin to Slightly Thick

Diamond B

Measurements 5.17 x 5.19 x 3.19
Table % 54.7
Depth % 61.6
Crown % 15.9
Crown Angle 34.9
Star % 46
Pav Angle 40.6
Pavillion % 42.9
Lower Girdle % 77
Girdle Thin to Medium

Idealscopes

Hearts

diamond_a_-_0.jpg

diamond_a_-_1.jpg

diamond_b_-_0.jpg

diamond_b_-_1.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You didn't mention color or clarity so maybe a difference in either of those would factor into your decision? I really don't think you can go wrong with either stone!

darlingwind

Rough_Rock
Hi MissGotRocks! They are...the same colour, same clarity, and eyeclean. We are so stuck. :confused:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I'll bite - based just on the info you posted and the images, I'd go for Diamond #2 - a touch bigger in diameter, a touch smaller table, a touch higher crown, and I slightly prefer its images...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then I would call and ask Brian his opinion - and why. As the vendor of these stones, he might be able to point out some small nuance that would make a difference.

Other than that, throw a dart I guess!

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
You are picking the best of the bestest. You can close your eyes and point to either one and come out a winner. I am guessing both are the same color and clarity (eye clean is good enough for me). If I was going to nit pick and that is all I can do coz both are gorgeous. I would pick diamond B coz table is slightly smaller and crown is slightly higher.... that is being ultra picky coz they are both beautiful ;)) Cant wait to see which you go with and please post photos of the finish ring. ;)) :appl:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! I'd choose diamond #1, but either will be perfect.

darlingwind

Rough_Rock
Well, one thing to note is that there are a few feathers around the girdle of Diamond B. I was under the impression that they are not terrifyingly dangerous. T/F?

Diamondbug & marymm, can you please explain why it's better to have a smaller table and higher crown? I've been going blind reading everything diamond related on the net, and I got the impression that it's better to have a 55 - 57 table and a crown closer to 34.5. I was worried that Diamond B's specs were more "off" than Diamond A's, and that B would be less bright especially in diffused lighting.

Thank you to everyone for replying btw! I was worried that as a new poster on PS, I would get that dreaded dead silence and then have to stare at those diamond images by myself for the rest of the night.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's the clarity on them? You haven't shared color or diameter either. :)

Smaller table, higher crown can sometimes lend itself to more fire (colored light return).

darlingwind

Rough_Rock
They are both E colour, and both SI1 (and eyeclean like all BGD H&A). There are only small differences between the two stones which is what makes this so hard. We don't want to close our eyes and just point - thought out choices are good! - but with our limited knowledge we are having trouble making a choice, period. Which is why all of you on the forum are so amazing for helping us out.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I don't think it's "better" to have a smaller table and higher crown angle. It's really about preference and the diamond's personality so to speak. A table of 55-57 and CA of 34.5 are within the ideal cut proportions, but it doesn't mean you get a better diamond than one with a table of 54.5 or a CA of 35. Some people prefer a smaller table and higher CA because that lends itself to more dispersion and so that's attractive to them. It's just preference. No BGD Signature diamond will have "off" angles/proportions, so you're fine with either one.

Since both are SI1 diamonds, I'd look at the inclusion plot and see what kind and type of inclusions are stated and make my decision from that. Some people would steer clear from inclusions directly under the table, some don't want feathers around the girdle, etc. you get my point. Again, all a matter of preference!

darlingwind

Rough_Rock
An update!

We were starting to lean towards Diamond B, with its slightly bigger size and the more fire-inducing crown table combo. We took the suggestion of calling BGD directly though, and ended up speaking with Brian. After looking at the images with him on the phone, he said he preferred Diamond A because he likes the angles a bit better (more balanced which of course is what he aims for), and more importantly, Diamond B has a feather under the table that although eye clean, he asked "why buy this diamond just because it's a few fractions of a millimeter bigger?" In the end he said it was our decision, but then once again stated that Diamond A is a better choice in this case and comically exclaimed, "Brian is telling you to choose this!!" Haha. So we did :)

Diamond purchased! Thanks for everyone's insight and assistance! Hopefully this diamond will be just as fiery as the other. I am sure I'll love it just the same. <3

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results