shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions please ... which diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decgirl

Rough_Rock
I''m picking between two diamonds and cannot decide which one is better. Can someone give me their opinions and whether or not either or both of these are good buys?

Diamond #1 (H&A Ideal Cut)
Carat: 1.08
Clarity: VS2
Color: G
Measurements: 6.63 - 6.66 - 4.03
Depth: 60.6%
Table: 57%
Girdle: thin to medium
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Price: $6800

Diamond #2 (Ideal Cut - Not H&A)
Carat: 1.07
Clarity: VS2
Color: F
Measurements: 6.61 - 6.62 - 4.01
Depth: 60.6%
Table: 57%
Girdle: thin to medium
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Price: $7000

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
For me, I see a huge difference between F & G color. If I were considering these stones, I would try to obtain lightscope or firescope images of both stones. Then I would try to find reasons to go with the F color stone.

As I undestand it, just because it's not branded as a H&A, doesn't mean it doesn't display hearts and arrows.

You'll also want crown and pavilion angles to make an intelligent assessment of the cut. If the numbers worked well and the symetry was good for the F stone, I wouldn't even give the G stone a second thought.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The pricing seems inline with what Pricescope vendors are selling high cut quality stones for (using HCA scores and search tools). However, I would think that you could find a good 'ideal' range stone with good reports and HCA scoring in the 1.0c range for around $6k. I know I have seen similar deals posted by consumers here. Also as Lugus notes, there are many great stones out there that are not branded or H&A. Also H&A and/or 'ideal cut' does not guarantee the diamond will be great, so you should definitely get more specs when considering any stone. Without crown and pavilion angles, the dimensions look inline with stones of that size, but that is almost all that can be said.

The color is definitely a personal preference, for me I saw no difference between an E stone and a G stone that we purchased. But some like E's, some like colorless only (D-F), others swear G should have their own category, some like H's just fine in platinum even. I would draw the line at an I..though I know there have been many fine I diamonds purchased and posted about on this forum. When considering two diamonds of difference color grades, compare them upside down on a piece of white folded paper to see if you can see any color difference. If there is a significant difference in price, and you can't see any difference, go with the G stone. Otherwise, if there is a difference in visual and the price is the same or similar, go with the higher F grade, why not?!

If you love one of these two stones and they are in B&M..then knowing the online pricing can only help you in negotations with the store you are working with. For example if you find a similar diamond online for $6k, you can then go back to the vendor you are working with and haggle a bit, knowing that you have online pricing to back you up. It seems as though lately many B&M stores are more open to being flexible with pricing if it means they can get the final sale.

1.gif

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
Yay, Mara agreed with me. Does that mean I get my first "cut geek" badge?

1.gif

jetcaptain

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 1/24/2003 2:30:15 AM Lugus wrote:

Yay, Mara agreed with me. Does that mean I get my first "cut geek" badge?

1.gif

----------------

Did she really agree with you??? You see a huge difference between an F and a G color, and she can't see any difference between an E and a G. Or did I misunderstand what the two of you wrote?
errrr.gif
Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, you've paid your dues and are entitled to wear that "cut geek" badge anytime you want.
9.gif

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
Just my opinion...

Looking at a diamond upside down seems like more of an academic exercise to me. This is not how the stone will be seen to anyone once it is set.

It seems more important to look at it from the top, and perhaps the sides as this is how it will look once mounted.

Of course, if you just want to know that the diamond look white upside down (for psychological reasons), that makes sense.

The bottom line is that diamond color is personal preference, decide for yourself what colors look good to you.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha Ha--I think Lugus meant where I said 'As Lugus notes...' . On the color issue, some people are real sticklers on color, hence the whole 'view upside down on a white piece of paper' as that is the best way to view color differences between two stones if it is a priority in your decision. Personally I don't see a difference in an E,F,G stone, but I'm sure there is one or else they'd all be the same grade!
1.gif

Anyway I think anyone who has been through this harrowing process deserves to wear whatever type badge they want! You pick up so much information and even details you didn't even know you picked up, suddenly its all there. And it's just dying to come out!!
9.gif

JayTee

Rough_Rock
It looks like the only two things that differ between these stones are color (F-G) and polish (very good vs. excellent)

The difference between VG and EX polish is fairly negligible and you will not be able to tell with your naked eye.

As for color, Mara raises a good point in that if you can, compare these stones side by side. You need to decide for yourself if it makes a difference as to how colorless the stone is. At the same time, because grading isn't perfect, sometimes there is a range within each color grading. When a friend and I went to a store to look for stones, a salesperson brought out a G color stone along with a few others that we were looking at. When we did the white paper test, we were surprised to see that this stone was *really* yellow compared to the F and the E color stones we were looking at, even from the top view. Even the salesperson was surprised and had to check if the stone and the cert were not mismatched. On the other hand, I have looked at other G color stones which looked very close to the F color stones. If color is important to you, it would seem "safer" to go with the higher color grade.

hope that helps!
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Mara, never say never. :) "I's" can be tricky; but, I would never rule them out. Fortunately, I didn't -my 3c is an I w/ med/strong bl. fluor. It's in platinum w/ f/g baguettes (with no color difference between the stones). I see little to no difference between my large I & my little F. But, I would agree w/ you that ordering over the internet sight unseen can be tricky in this color.

Color can be tricky in general. Jay-tee raises an interesting point about the color spectrum of each grade. Cut & fluor could add something to the mix. Nobody sets a diamond face down. So, as long as you pay for the correct color , I'd buy the prettiest one in face up position regardless of color spec.

As an aside, we have no flourecent lights except in the kitchen and even there - under shade. We have few overhead lights & nearly all our light source comes from lamps w/ muted light from stained glass or mica shades. Bright lights (except for the sun) give me a headache. Perhaps I am naturally drawn to less icey stones. Don't know. I do not, however, like noticeably yellow stones; and, I concede that one "I" I viewed had a yellow hue in face up position.

A caveat, if you can see the difference for the D color & can pay for it without sacrificing a desired size than go for it.

Viva la difference
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's definitely a personal preference thing. The very first stone we seriously considered was an 'I' and I liked it just fine. But online I definitely would have a problem buying an 'I' as that is where it starts to get tricky and it can be a very light 'I' or a more yellowish 'I'. In my post I noted that *I* pesonally would draw the line at an 'I' but that others on this forum had been really happy with their choices of 'I' diamonds. Definitely a preference detail.

Also I recall recently that someone..don't recall who, bought a J on GOG and was told it was a very white J but when they got it, they weren't happy because it looked too yellow, returned it and got an H. It definitely depends on how hawkish one's eyesight is. Then again, I was running around with N's on my ears and thought they were H's. So the differences are pretty subtle and if you have nothing to compare them to (e.g. compare H to D and N to H etc) then who really knows! Us basic consumers can't grade color with our eyes--unfortunately.

1.gif

decgirl

Rough_Rock
Thx everyone for the replies. I think I have a better idea of which stone I'm going to choose now. Thx once again!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results