shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions please!: Single row pave VS 3 rows pave on band

SC86

Shiny_Rock
We recently bought a cushion that I’d like to get set in a halo setting. I love the look of the HW inspired halos many PSers have shared. However, I am torn between having a single row of pave on the band or 3 rows of pave. I would like the halo and band to be very dainty and delicate, and am worried that 3 rows of pave on the band may look bulky. Can the band still be made very thin (~1.6-1.8 mm) if all 3 side have pave? Also it’s important to me that the e-ring is able to fit flush with the wedding band (no donut). So I’m not sure if this may affect how thick the band needs to be.

I’ve been looking at LM’s Barcelona halo ring (r4537) for inspiration. I love the band, but would have a single row of pave on the halo and have the basket be simpler. But I can’t tell if how thin the band would be IRL.

http://artofplatinum.com/vault/inde...&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Anyone else debating over single row or 3 rows of pave on the band? Does anyone have a 3 row pave band? How thin is your band? Pictures always welcome!

Thanks for any thoughts/advice! :)

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Well having two rings with 3 sided pave next to each other is jewelry suicide unless they are soldered. I love the look of 3 sided but it would need to be worn alone or with a plain band.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
3 sided pave on a 1.6-1.8mm is also suicide. So much metal will be remove that the band will be very weak structurally, likely to twist or buckle at the slightest pressure, like grabbing the steering wheel.

mrb09

Rough_Rock
I originally wanted this look on the ring i just had made https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-steven-kirsch-creation.163651/

ultimately, decided that it would look a little too bulky for my design, and decided instead that I will pair the engagement ring with a three sided like the one my fiance has on in this pic (she loves the 3 sided look and I had to figure out someway to work it in!). i like the contrast of thick to thin...for me it really works.

dy on katie.jpg

dy on katie closeup.jpg

SC86

Shiny_Rock
Stone-cold11|1311784183|2978039 said:
3 sided pave on a 1.6-1.8mm is also suicide. So much metal will be remove that the band will be very weak structurally, likely to twist or buckle at the slightest pressure, like grabbing the steering wheel.

I was worried about the durability issue also. Does anyone know the recommended thickness for a band with 3 sided pave? For me, it's more important that the halo and band be very delicate. So it sounds like I'll have to scrap the 3 row pave idea!

mrb09 - lovely design. Glad you were able to incorporate what your finance wanted in the e-ring and wedding band!

J_Rock

Rough_Rock
kelpie|1311783671|2978032 said:
Well having two rings with 3 sided pave next to each other is jewelry suicide unless they are soldered. I love the look of 3 sided but it would need to be worn alone or with a plain band.

Can't a thin spacer be made to keep the two rings from grinding on each other? I could have sworn I have seen it done somewhere on PS.

SC86

Shiny_Rock
Not sure if anyone is interested, but thought I'd share some extra info. I just spoke to Steven Kirsch and he indicated that the thinnest 3 row pave band that he has made is 2mm.

subster

Rough_Rock
For what it's worth, my wife and I went for the "thinnest band you're willing to put 3 rows of pave on (right around 2.2mm, I think)", and while the band itself didn't seem to take damage, it did allow enough flexing that over the course of the first 1.5 years, about 10 diamonds did fall out. Given the experience, the jeweler said he would probably recommend a slightly thicker band in the future. That said, it settled down, and at the 3 year mark my wife recently remarked that she wouldn't want anything different.

J_Rock

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the thread hijack, but what is the fire/sparkle difference between 3 and 5 rows of pave? Assuming that the band-width is same, and using smaller stones for a 5 row design.

SC86

Shiny_Rock
J_Rock|1311875934|2979071 said:
Sorry for the thread hijack, but what is the fire/sparkle difference between 3 and 5 rows of pave? Assuming that the band-width is same, and using smaller stones for a 5 row design.

I am by no means an expert on this. During my recent conversation with SK he mentioned that for multiple rows of pave, smaller stones are used obviously compared to a single row of pave. He indicated that using smaller stones usually resulted in more sparkle, however if the stones are too small they start to look gray/dull from a distance. Not sure if that answers your question.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
My concern with a three row pave setting is the rubbing against a wedding band. Something to consider...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SC86|1311898512|2979356 said:
J_Rock|1311875934|2979071 said:

I am by no means an expert on this. During my recent conversation with SK he mentioned that for multiple rows of pave, smaller stones are used obviously compared to a single row of pave. He indicated that using smaller stones usually resulted in more sparkle, however if the stones are too small they start to look gray/dull from a distance. Not sure if that answers your question.

single cuts will help avoid those problems - I much prefer the look of lots of single cut melee, though it is more expensive..
3-sided pave on a 2mm band? Platinum? :errrr:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results