carat
color
clarity

Opinions please- Prongs on 2ct cushion

Which prongs?

• Total voters

Britgirl

Rough_Rock
05658F1D-1F7D-42AB-ABC1-5AEA8364F70D.jpeg 56AFCA7A-AE2E-4B2A-9C53-7FC234CCE305.jpeg Hello,

As an anniversary gift, my husband and I upgraded my center stone to a 2ct cushion from a princess 1.2ct. I picked it up from the jeweler and they used the split prongs instead of the round ones as it was supposed to be. I disliked the split prongs on my princess cut diamond because they always snagged things. I am concerned these will do the same, although they appear to be more streamlined than the ones I had before. My question is, should I leave these prongs as is or have them replaced to the round prongs. I want whatever will look best with my band and the diamond. I am not sure which would look better. Which type will showcase the diamond best? I do not want to take away or minimize the center stone. Does one type of prong make a diamond look smaller or bigger? If anything, I want to enhance its beauty and do it right! The jeweler recognizes the mistake and said they will redo it, but to try it out first. Thank you for any insight! I am torn on whether I should have it redone or not.

Last edited:

September_Blue

Rough_Rock
Premium
Is there anyway you can wear it through the weekend and see if it catches? If not, keep it as is if you enjoy the look and feel. If you’re unhappy, have them change it. Either way I’d let them know it was supposed to be a rounded prong. Was there a reason they did split instead?

Britgirl

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply. They are letting me try for the week. They did the split ones by accident. It was noted on the order. I’ve never had anything but split before so I am wondering if the round has advantages. I’ve searched and searched online, both seem like acceptable options. I just don’t want to miss an opportunity to get it fixed if it should be. Will see how it goes this week and if others can chime in with any insight.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kind of think the style works well with that particular ring. I really dislike big round ball prongs. If your radiant has corners, I'd prefer straight tab prongs personally on straight corners, but I'd keep the split ones as long as they aren't problematic.

Congrats on your upgraded diamond! Pretty ring!

Britgirl

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker2006 - thanks much for your input. I didn’t know of the prongs you mentioned. I just checked them out online and i like them very much! I just realized I posted my stone was radiant, my stone is actually cushion! Oops

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your split prongs!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results