shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions please on these cushions

earlygrey1

Rough_Rock
I’m in the market for a high quality antique cushion. Faces up white, lots sparkle, excellent symmetry, and tighter facets. Minimal culet. You’ll see that I prefer a slightly elongated, rounder shape. Talking to a few of jewelers now; these are ones I’ve been drawn to.

Please advise me on these options. How are the proportions and light performance? Many sites I’ve looked at do not allow filtering by antique cuts so it’s hard to compare if pricing is fair. I suspect that I’m paying a premium for curation.

Grateful for your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you!

Option A - $12,000
3.54 E VS2 | GIA Cert | 360 View

Option B - $12,800
3.85 F VS1 | GIA Cert | 360 View

Option C - $10,000
4.03 G VS2 | GIA Cert | 360 View unavailable

Additional videos (on hand) from the jewelers: HERE

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @earlygrey1! We're great at rounds here and less so on antique cushions. I have minimal experience, but here are some thoughts about price.

Have you checked out Alex Park on IG? He had a 2.25 FVS1 for $2000 and 2.67 EVS1 for $2500.

Jonathan @Rhino at Distinctive Gem also has antique cushions. Additionally, he has all the hardware/software to judge light performance. Some of the prices on his website aren't up to date, so contact him if you're interested.

I know there are some antique cushion experts on Rocky Talky. I'll post and see if they're willing to come over and help.

earlygrey1

Rough_Rock
Hi @earlygrey1! We're great at rounds here and less so on antique cushions. I have minimal experience, but here are some thoughts about price.

Have you checked out Alex Park on IG? He had a 2.25 FVS1 for $2000 and 2.67 EVS1 for $2500.

Jonathan @Rhino at Distinctive Gem also has antique cushions. Additionally, he has all the hardware/software to judge light performance. Some of the prices on his website aren't up to date, so contact him if you're interested.

I know there are some antique cushion experts on Rocky Talky. I'll post and see if they're willing to come over and help.

Will check out Alex Park and Distinctive Gem. Also really appreciate you posting on Rocky Talky too! There’s a lot of observe and learn, hard for a newbie like me to know what to pay most attention to.

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, earlygrey1!
Definitely, definitely reach out to Jon (Rhino) at Distinctive Gem ASAP and see what he can do for you...one of his specialties is antique cuts that exhibit phenomenal light return and optical performance, and knowing how to properly asses them. Probably a rarer trait amongst jewelers nowadays.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How are the proportions and light performance?

Hi Earl- and thank you and hi to everybody!
Your question here- it's a very good and often asked question.
From my perspective- as someone who really cares about, and has studied cut for a lifetime...
The proportions are a basic formula. Numeric and easy to determine. A client wants 1.35:1 ...simple
Light Performance is another thing entirely.
Here's a concrete and easy to verify example of "performance". Can you see your finger through the diamond?
Many authentic older cuts do "window"- and many modern diamonds do through a range of motion- if you tilt it and look through.
Especially a consideration in longer profile diamonds.
Certain styles- and executions of these sorts of cuts avoid this.
But that's if a person is looking at the diamond from that perspective.
There are other sorts of antiques that are funkier- and have a different personality.
Anyway, bottom line for me is to let the person looking at the stones decide which stone "performs" best for them.
If we're talking round diamonds, yes, there's a formula and tools to determine "performance" and it works.
But not for antique style cushions IMO

Earl- I can't comment on other sellers stones....My general advice to shoppers is to discuss with the seller and get as many pics as you need to feel comfortable.
The rotating vids are a decent way to weed out bad stones....but don't be shy to ask for more to get a more realistic view.

earlygrey1

Rough_Rock
Hi Earl- and thank you and hi to everybody!
Your question here- it's a very good and often asked question.
From my perspective- as someone who really cares about, and has studied cut for a lifetime...
The proportions are a basic formula. Numeric and easy to determine. A client wants 1.35:1 ...simple
Light Performance is another thing entirely.
Here's a concrete and easy to verify example of "performance". Can you see your finger through the diamond?
Many authentic older cuts do "window"- and many modern diamonds do through a range of motion- if you tilt it and look through.
Especially a consideration in longer profile diamonds.
Certain styles- and executions of these sorts of cuts avoid this.
But that's if a person is looking at the diamond from that perspective.
There are other sorts of antiques that are funkier- and have a different personality.
Anyway, bottom line for me is to let the person looking at the stones decide which stone "performs" best for them.
If we're talking round diamonds, yes, there's a formula and tools to determine "performance" and it works.
But not for antique style cushions IMO

Earl- I can't comment on other sellers stones....My general advice to shoppers is to discuss with the seller and get as many pics as you need to feel comfortable.
The rotating vids are a decent way to weed out bad stones....but don't be shy to ask for more to get a more realistic view.
Appreciate your guidance here. Passing my finger under the stone helps identify any light leakage. Is it fair to say that some is not wholly unexpected in antique stones?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is it fair to say that some is not wholly unexpected in antique stones?

Yes, but qualify the statement
1) Some antique stones- by no means all antique stones.
2) The discussion is different, in some ways, when considering lab diamonds- if for no other reason, than their proliferation.
Sometimes "puffy" stones can have more pronounced windowing effect- but they are much funkier....in ways some people find preferable.
Part of the beauty of lab diamonds is that you never need to compromise as you would in the case of an authentic antique, mined diamond.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Ritani just had one a little over 5c that was $5,500 but it sold. If you keep checking Ritani and put in an advanced search for "CULET" large or extra large culet ...don't put in any other parameters except for maybe carat size and see what comes up. There is now a 1.08c antique cut OVAL[super rare] listed on Ritani and LooseGrownDiamonds.com. Price is better on LGD..but Ritani will price match. It's very long and skinny so probably not appealing to most ppl.

Last edited:

earlygrey1

Rough_Rock
Ritani just had one a little over 5c that was $5,500 but it sold. If you keep checking Ritani and put in an advanced search for "CULET" large or extra large culet ...don't put in any other parameters except for maybe carat size and see what comes up. There is now a 1.08c antique cut OVAL[super rare] listed on Ritani and LooseGrownDiamonds.com. Price is better on LGD..but Ritani will price match. It's very long and skinny so probably not appealing to most ppl.

Thanks for the filtering tip, will give it a try. Antique cuts are so few and so hard to find on those sites. Even if I am able to stumble onto some, I never feel confident enough to buy without seeing a video on hand.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
You can also look for small tables like 55% and lower...and sometimes they rate the cut "good". I think they rated my antique elongated cushion cut 3.01 as "good" and that is why it didn't sell but the ASET was amazing! You could have knocked me over with a feather. What I liked about the video was that the main belly facets as it turned were always white and gray, but the black is contrast and can show up on the ASET as blue or red. but even the black which is contrast turned out red on the ASET and stays white and bright in real life.

I'm so tech challenged I have a hard time uploading photos etc. but I'll try and find my ASET. But all that really matters is what you see with your eyes. That is why they are so tricky!

Have you watched Jon's video? "What you need to know about lab grown diamonds?" He posts some ASETs on Elongated cushions.

Attachments

• Antique cushion.jpeg
    Antique cushion.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

earlygrey1

Rough_Rock
You can also look for small tables like 55% and lower...and sometimes they rate the cut "good". I think they rated my antique elongated cushion cut 3.01 as "good" and that is why it didn't sell but the ASET was amazing! You could have knocked me over with a feather. What I liked about the video was that the main belly facets as it turned were always white and gray, but the black is contrast and can show up on the ASET as blue or red. but even the black which is contrast turned out red on the ASET and stays white and bright in real life.

I'm so tech challenged I have a hard time uploading photos etc. but I'll try and find my ASET. But all that really matters is what you see with your eyes. That is why they are so tricky!

Have you watched Jon's video? "What you need to know about lab grown diamonds?" He posts some ASETs on Elongated cushions.

I haven’t but this is a gold mine! Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results