shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions please on peridot stones for earrings

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,
I'm hoping to create some bezel peridot earrings for my upcoming birthday.
This will be my very first purchase of coloured stones so I'm wondering if you could all give me some advice on this pair of peridots: http://www.gemfix.com/peridot.html (bottom row pair)

I'm not sure whether to have DanielM bezel them in silver or yellow gold.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
PumpkinPie ~

Congrats on considering your first CS purchase! :appl: I love peridot, so I'm on-board with your choice of green yumminess.

I think the 6mm size is great for earrings. I've never purchased from GemFix; I'll leave any comments to those who have. From the photos, I would say this particular pair show green with quite a bit of yellow. Do you know if that's your green or ??? As I quickly learned, everyone has preferences, so it's good to inquire.

Oh, and definitely yellow gold. That's my vote.

~ faegrace

K9

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that 6mm would be a great size for earrings. I'm not sure if you have large or small ears, but bezeling will for sure add some so I'd cut some paper to size to be sure they won't be too big.

As for color...

I think that you should order this pair and see the color for yourself. I can say (as someone who has purchased from Gemfix) they are:

A) wonderful to work with
B) are fabulous about returns - no questions asked, easy peasy
C) unfortunately, their pictures can be hit or miss.

Don't get me wrong, their photos are excellent, but some colors are just hard to capture on film - especially greens.

Personally, I think they'd look fabulous in yellow gold. :))

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your replies Faegrace and k9muttlover. I love all shades of green - for peridot I tend to be drawn towards the 'tennis ball' sort of colour so these fit the bill. They also fit the budget for a first attempt at the Coloured Stones world :appl:

I currently wear .41ct each diamond studs (just a titch over 5mm).I do have quite small ears so I'm also wondering if 6mm plus bezel might be too big.

I agree with you both on yellow gold but I'm a bit hesitant as I don't really wear it much.

100_3997.JPG

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Nice, if the pic color is accurate. From your ear photo, I don't think they'd be too big bezeled, but that's a matter of personal taste -- some people like small earrings, some larger. They definitely wouldn't be gaudy-big, just nice & rich-looking. YG would look super -- though if the stones are as saturated & sparkly as they look, wg would let them shine.

--- Laurie

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Those appear beautiful and a thin yellow gold bezel would be beautiful and
if you are going for the Tennis-Ball color then that's what you would want, I think :lol:
If you are looking for something about the size of your diamonds, though, 6 mm is going to look
bigger than what you want ... but the bezel can be thin, i don't think it necessarily needs to add much width...

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YUM, they look gorgeous. I like the color of green. Yellow gold would be a good choice.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can do the 6mm with a thin gold bezel and they won't be too big (thanks for the earshot).

I wouldn't worry about yellow gold since you tend not to wear it. They'll be on your ears and you'll hardly notice the gold - the gold color is intending to enhance to stone color so that's what people will notice.

I spent money to reset my YG diamond studs into WG martini studs and I kinda regret doing that - you can't even tell what color gold they are.... all you see is diamond!

ETA: Btw, your avatar is making me hungry. YUM.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!
I ordered them a few minutes ago. Besides the shock at the astoundingly expensive international shipping (I'm Canadian), I'm excited to get them (at least the shipping is 'express' so I might get them this week I hope)

I'll post pictures when they arrive :appl:

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
PumpkinPie ~

Ya-hoo! We'll be eagerly awaiting photos. :D

~ faegrace

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results