shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions Please (Girl with 2.5 ring size)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chillyadelie

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have a size 2.5 ring finger and am getting a 1.71 carat VS2 J color AGS Ideal (triple 0) diamond set in a platium ring. The engagement ring has 6 small princess cut diamonds, three on each side. I am afraid that the setting, being platium, and the small diamonds (VS2 H color diamonds) will make the center 1.71 carat VS2 J stone look yellow.

Here are my questions:

1) I understand that a diamond of the same size will look bigger on a small finger than a larger finger. Does this effect impact the color of the diamond (i.e., will the J color center diamond look more yellow or less on a small finger)?
2) Is the engagement ring better off with or without the side diamonds? Will the differnce in the J and the H be big?

I would appreciate any feedback.
Thank you very much.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chilly
6.gif
size 2.5 ring finger? is that possible?
9.gif
only you can decide on the color.you need to go to a few jewelry stores and look at some loose GIA or AGS stones.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2006 9:16:36 PM
Author:chillyadeli

Here are my questions:

1) I understand that a diamond of the same size will look bigger on a small finger than a larger finger. Does this effect impact the color of the diamond (i.e., will the J color center diamond look more yellow or less on a small finger)?

2) Is the engagement ring better off with or without the side diamonds? Will the differnce in the J and the H be big?

1. no, the size of the finger size will not affect the color of the diamond

2. I would think it would depend the size of your side stones the more color difference you may see.

I agree with dancingfire, only you know how much color you will or will not see
1.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
here's a 1.65 on a size 2.25 finger
(luckyhonu's ring- link)
eringhand.jpg

chillyadelie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback.

Question for Sevens One:

Is that ring a VS2 J color stone?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about the stone in the pic. seven''s posted but there is a whole thread on J colored stones in platinum/White gold...you can find it Here

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Gawsh 2.5 ring size...I am so jealous!

I have an H color center and E-F melee in my ring and I can''t tell the difference because they are so tiny. Mrssalvo is right, depends on the size and how color sensitive you are.
1.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, a size 2.5 finger....I can't even imagine!! The size of your finger will not affect the color at all. As far as a "J" center stone looking yellow vs. "H" side stones, it might or it might not. I think it would depend on whether it is a high J or a low J. In other words where on the J scale it falls. I can tell you that I have a J center stone in my ring and G side stones. There really isn't a lot of difference between the colors. It is only in certain light that you can see just a little more "warmth" in the center stone. But most of the time they appear the same. Of course I have to make the disclaimer that I am not sensative to color like some people so I guess you would have to add that variable as well.

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
Hello! I'm very jealous- my finger is an 8.5!!
23.gif

My center stone is an I color and the pave diamonds in the halo and on the shank are G. To my surprise I've found that I'm actually a bit color sensitive and in my office lighting I think the center stone looks a bit yellow in comparison. In other lighting I can't tell at all. It doesn't bother me much and it's only in the office that I notice it- no where else. I think you need to compare diamonds of those colors in real life conditions so you can decide if you are color sensitive or not.

Congrats and good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No Lucky Honu''s is an H SI1 I think.

Anyway, Precious Jewels has a 3c J stone on a size 3.5 (or 3?) finger and it looks soo white in every picture she has ever posted to us and even ones she emailed me.

I am getting a 2.32 J SI1 in a few weeks and right now I have a 1.60 J SI2 and I find I just really love the look of a well-cut J and it''s budget friendly too.

I don''t think you will be disappointed personally, BUT if you are color sensitive and can see ''warmth'' in people''s stones very easily, then you may not like it as much. I am not very color savvy and have a hard time seeing any color in well-cut stones. The quality of the cut will also mask the color a bit.

re: side stones etc, personally I love a classic solitaire and that size stone on your tiny finger will already be massive finger coverage, I don''t think you''d need side stones to make a huge impact!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
23.gif
2.5????Who''s it for Nicole Ritchie??

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring should look great on your hand! I wouldn''t worry about the smaller diamonds in the setting creating any contrast - the sheer size difference shouldn''t allow any comparison of that sort.

Small diamonds always appear brighter... but that''s a different matter (i.e. a field of pave would look bright white compared to the more intense but ''sparse'' glitter from the larger facets of a single diamond). With a row of sidestones, even this is more a matter of ''theory'' than anything glaringly obvious.

Jut one ting: if the sidestones go down the shank enough to make the band of the ring ticker between the fingers, you may discover that these diamond studded bands are not all that comfortable in small sizes. Some folk do not mind at all, some don''t get used to these wide rings for every day wear. Not sure which is the majority - I am on the second camp (ring size 3, and not finding eternity bands comfortable at all).

Hope to see pictures of this one soon enough
9.gif
... please
1.gif

chillyadelie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the response. My ring is scheduled to come in next Thursday and I will post a picture as soon as I can. I am very excited.

chillyadelie

Rough_Rock
I finally got it. Here''s the picture!

Ring 4-30-06.jpg

chillyadelie

Rough_Rock
Here''s another picture - Hopefully this one is more clear.

Ring 2 4-30-06.jpg

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
It''s beautiful and looks great on your hand. Definitely take more pics if you can!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh it''s gorgeous. You should start you own thread over in the Show me the ring forum and please, more pics
1.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful
30.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results