shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions, please? 2 Star Rubies, which one to pick?

hwm

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I am currently on the hunt of a star ruby and my budget is around 1.4k .
For the color I prefer red>purple>pink and I want a stone with above average transparency.

Since I know very little about star rubies, I did some research in price scope and checked out the star sapphire guideline from wildfishgems (https://www.wildfishgems.com/gemstones_on_photo#stasap)

And then I go for the hunt and found 2 potential candidates, and both of them are from Burma:

Ruby A: $780, 6.94 x 6.48mm, 2.1 ct, untreated
The vendor is not from the recommended vendor list but the stone come with a G.I.I. lab report (not so sure how reliable this lab is.... does anyone has an experience of this lab before?)

Option B: $1400, 6 x 6 mm, 1.88 ct, untreated
This stone is sourced from a recommended vendor but does not come with a lab report

Ruby B looks better to me in person but it also cost me 40% more than the other stone. And more importantly, it is also bottom heavy so I am paying more for a smaller stone.

So my questions are, are both stones reasonably priced and which one would you pick? If I pick Ruby B, am I paying extra for its quality or simply because its extra weight at the bottom?

I am also open to other options - also since my project timeline is Dec I am not in a rush :)

Any input would be appreciated. Many thanks.

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

B1.gif

B2.gif

B3.gif

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, just based solely on the pictures (excluding lab reports, etc.) and the look of those 2 stars, I really like the second one more because of the clarity and the color. For me, the first one evokes a windy sky behind the star, with a kind of turbulence in it, whereas the second is deeply focused, almost as if one could mediate looking at it. Though the second is a tad bottom heavy, but the star is nice and neat. Thankfully you have some time to keep looking if either isn't quite right for you. It can be a challenge to find the right one.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW I bought Star Ruby B based on the vendor's description and photos. In person, I found B has a very nice translucency and the star is definitely there though not strong IMO. And while it is does have a thick bottom, IRL it appears offset by a well-shaped medium dome top.

I returned Star Ruby B because, to my eyes, (1) the color seemed more deep pink as opposed to ruby-red and (2) the stone did not face up to me as round-round but more ovally round [maybe due to a natural?]. I was going to set it with another stone so roundness and color was particularly important to me. Unfortunately I took no photos while it was in my possession.

Because color and perception and opinion and preference vary so much from person to person, I do think if you are drawn to Star Ruby B it would be worth your while to check it out. Colored gemstones in particular really need to seen and examined in person I think to get a true read on a stone, and for Star Ruby B, there is a solid return policy, and this vendor is highly reputable.

I have no comment on your Ruby A stone since it is an unknown vendor with a certificate from a lab I am unfamiliar with.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hwm

Rough_Rock
Ideally I would like the stone color to be ruby red as well, however, my budget is only 1.4k (max 1.5k) and I am not sure if it is possible for me to get a pure red star ruby...

hwm

Rough_Rock
Oh, just aware that it is a link - this ruby is a bit too small and I am not sure how accurate the photo is (since starruby.in is not in the recommended vendor list and I am not sure for their reputation)
Has anyone deal with them before?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, just aware that it is a link - this ruby is a bit too small and I am not sure how accurate the photo is

I have not done anything with StarRuby yet - happened to notice many small & perfect Vietnamese star rubies some months ago [not looking for one specifically] ... Now, the one I mentioned is the last.

I would not expect to find a fine star ruby or sapphire in your size & price range fast ! It may help asking for one - perhaps not all is listed etc. These things just do not happen.

[Too big: WWW]

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideally I would like the stone color to be ruby red as well, however, my budget is only 1.4k (max 1.5k) and I am not sure if it is possible for me to get a pure red star ruby...

[On red-s: Ref.]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results