color
clarity

Opinions on two sapphire pendants

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
CS PSers, I need your honest opinions on these two sapphire halo pendants:

http://www.bluenile.com/sapphire-diamond-pendant_8150
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5661

I really don't know much about sapphires, but they're my favourite gemstone and I want to make sure I get something of good quality that would be worth its money. I'd really appreciate any insight on this.

p.s. Suggestions of other pendants that are similar to the ones I posted and worth up to $1000 are very welcome.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The quality of the sapphire in both pictures don't wow me but I'm only basing on the pictures shown. Both seem pretty dark and the BN stone looks sort of translucent, rather than tranparent. It could be the picture quality though. That said, the quality of the diamonds in the BGD pendant are better and probably sparklier than the BN pendant. However, I prefer the design of the BN pendant.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
{bump}

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan of NSC but am quite surprised to see some unheated sapphire pendants listed for that price. The first one looks a bit light toned, light saturated and slightly windowed. Probably my last choice. The second holds a bit of promise. In terms of colour and design, I like the third sapphire. However, the metal work on the lower right part looks a bit wonky. Not sure if it's the picture or off symmetry workmanship. You probably should contact NSC to inquire about these 3 choices and ask for their opinions.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I like the last NSC pendant the best, then the BN pendant would be my 2nd choice, BG would be 3rd. I don't really care for the other 2 from NSC.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1309263236|2956941 said:
I'm not a fan of NSC but am quite surprised to see some unheated sapphire pendants listed for that price. The first one looks a bit light toned, light saturated and slightly windowed. Probably my last choice. The second holds a bit of promise. In terms of colour and design, I like the third sapphire. However, the metal work on the lower right part looks a bit wonky. Not sure if it's the picture or off symmetry workmanship. You probably should contact NSC to inquire about these 3 choices and ask for their opinions.

Thanks for the advice, Chrono. It's very much appreciated. I'll try to follow up with NSC and see what I come up with.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
stargurl78|1309263523|2956947 said:
I like the last NSC pendant the best, then the BN pendant would be my 2nd choice, BG would be 3rd. I don't really care for the other 2 from NSC.

Thanks for the opinions, stargurl. BN was my favourite in terms of design but I definitely want to make sure I get something truly valuable rather than something that just looks good.

Keep the opinions coming!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like the design and quality of metalwork on the BG best, but I can't tell much about the sapphire. The halo on the last NSC pendant looks kind of chunky.

Would you consider buying a sapphire and having it set in something by your local jeweler? You could see what stock setting they have, and buy a calibrated stone to fit. Okay, maybe that is too complicated.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1309321397|2957687 said:
I like the design and quality of metalwork on the BG best, but I can't tell much about the sapphire. The halo on the last NSC pendant looks kind of chunky.

Would you consider buying a sapphire and having it set in something by your local jeweler? You could see what stock setting they have, and buy a calibrated stone to fit. Okay, maybe that is too complicated.

I emailed BG and asked them for more info on the sapphire. They said that it's dark blue with very intense colour. I also asked about the whitened bit at the bottom of the sapphire and they said it's just a reflection in the picture that was captured online rather than an inclusion.

I think sourcing my own sapphire and having it set would be very complicated as around where I live there's only chain B&M stores rather than actual jewelers. I think this would entail going to Hatton Garden multiple times which I'd rather avoid.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results