shape
carat
color
clarity

opinions on two diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

EN61577

Rough_Rock
Hi all...I''ve been reading this board for a little while now, this is my first post.

I am all but set to buy my GF a ring from whiteflash but I am having trouble deciding between a few diamonds. I was hoping to get some opinions on two of them. I''m sure you see these kinds of topics over and over again...hope it''s not too annoying.

Anway, here they are:

First - a 1.087 F/VS2

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-57403.htm

Second - a 1.26 G/VS2

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-58902.htm

Looks like both score a 1.1 on HCA - although the spread on the smaller stone is rated as excellent versus very good for the bigger one. I realize both are going to be great diamonds and my GF will be pleased either way I''m sure but I can not make up my mind. The G is slightly more expensive but I have no problem with that if the size difference will be noticable and the color difference not so noticable. The spread on the F is +2%, and on the G -1%, will this affect how much distinguishable difference there will be between the size of the two?

Any thoughts...???

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go with the G if you can afford it-just 'cause it's bigger.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you had them side by side, you might notice one is a bit bigger but there is not going to be a big difference. that said, i would still probably pick the bigger stone. i like *knowing* it''s a little bigger and i love the g/vs combo!
18.gif

really, you can''t go wrong either way. get the one that feels right to you.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both great diamonds, and since the color is good on both, I''d for sure go with the larger of the two.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are both winners, but yeah another vote for the G here...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
One more vote for the G.

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
While the 1.26 carat stone is about 25% heavier, it's only going to look 4% bigger because the diameter is only 4% bigger. That is, if you put the two side by side you will hardly notice the size difference. And if they aren't side by side, you won't notice the difference. Here's a size chart:
http://www.ajediam.com/Sizes-of-Diamonds.html

And while some here like their diamonds as big as they can get them (especially the salespeople) others don't like them too big as:
1)they can overpower the finger and make it look like you'r playing dress up
2)it can get too flashy and make a girl self conscience or not want to wear it in fear of getting mugged or damaging it
3)they may get embarrased for you spending too much
4)it can look like too much bling which has a cheapening effect

so that's the other side of the size story. It really all depends on what your girl likes. I hope you've talked it over with her and looked at diamonds in person. If you're looking at resale value, the bigger one will probably hold it's value better. If you're looking at color, it's the same as the size: put the G and F next to each other and you will hardly notice a difference and apart you will notice no difference (especially when set.)

They both are VS2's so you won't be able to see any inclusions. They both are AGS-0s so they are about as well cut as you can get them. They really both are safe bets. The smaller one you may be able to find a better deal elsewhere pretty easily, the bigger one not so much.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 12:16:06 PM
Author: shiatsu
While the 1.26 carat stone is about 25% heavier, it''s only going to look 4% bigger because the diameter is only 4% bigger. That is, if you put the two side by side you will hardly notice the size difference. And if they aren''t side by side, you won''t notice the difference. Here''s a size chart:

And while some here like their diamonds as big as they can get them (especially the salespeople) others don''t like them too big as:
1)they can overpower the finger and make it look like you''r playing dress up
2)it can get too flashy and make a girl self conscience or not want to wear it in fear of getting mugged or damaging it

so that''s the other side of the size story. It really all depends on what your girl likes. I hope you''ve talked it over with her and looked at diamonds in person. If you''re looking at resale value, the bigger one will probably hold it''s value better. If you''re looking at color, it''s the same as the size: put the G and F next to each other and you will hardly notice a difference and apart you will notice no difference (especially when set.)

They both are VS2''s so you won''t be able to see any inclusions. They both are AGS-0s so they are about as well cut as you can get them. They really both are safe bets. The smaller one you may be able to find a better deal elsewhere pretty easily, the bigger one not so much.
I''m confused on what you''re saying here. First you point out the very small difference in the sizes of the two, but then go on to talk about why some might not like a big diamond, I''m assuming referring to the larger diamond?

I happen to fall into the modest camp (one of the few here), but even as size sensitive as I am, I recommended the 1.26. It''s a lovely size, and in no way would look cheap. Not even close.
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely the G.

mmpawnshop

Rough_Rock
Hello, I would go with the stone that has the better color. Color is important when it comes to diamonds.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 2:40:25 PM
Author: mmpawnshop
Hello, I would go with the stone that has the better color. Color is important when it comes to diamonds.
Not to open a can of worms here, but "color" is really not the most important consideration when it "comes to diamonds." When looking for a beautiful diamond, it is CUT that rules. And both of those diamonds posted above have an excellent (ideal) cut.

Now regarding color...unless someone is looking for a fancy yellow diamond, no one wants a pee-colored one, true... but in THIS case, we are talking about an F vs. a G. The difference in color between those 2 stones would likely be nearly imperceptible to the average person and especially so once mounted in a ring.

IMHO: Get the G. You said the $ difference is not a problem. It's a killer stone in a GREAT color... and it's bigger!
31.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for the G stone !!!

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 1:30:14 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 1/4/2007 12:16:06 PM
While the 1.26 carat stone is about 25% heavier, it's only going to look 4% bigger because the diameter is only 4% bigger. That is, if you put the two side by side you will hardly notice the size difference. And if they aren't side by side, you won't notice the difference. Here's a size chart:

And while some here like their diamonds as big as they can get them (especially the salespeople) others don't like them too big as:
1)they can overpower the finger and make it look like you'r playing dress up

so that's the other side of the size story. It really all depends on what your girl likes. I hope you've talked it over with her and looked at diamonds in person. If you're looking at resale value, the bigger one will probably hold it's value better. If you're looking at color, it's the same as the size: put the G and F next to each other and you will hardly notice a difference and apart you will notice no difference (especially when set.)

They both are VS2's so you won't be able to see any inclusions. They both are AGS-0s so they are about as well cut as you can get them. They really both are safe bets. The smaller one you may be able to find a better deal elsewhere pretty easily, the bigger one not so much.
I'm confused on what you're saying here. First you point out the very small difference in the sizes of the two, but then go on to talk about why some might not like a big diamond, I'm assuming referring to the larger diamond?

I happen to fall into the modest camp (one of the few here), but even as size sensitive as I am, I recommended the 1.26. It's a lovely size, and in no way would look cheap. Not even close.
2.gif
Ah, that's probably because I'm not really trying to budge them either way. Just giing them any advice I know of to help them make an informed decision. Fact is there isn't a huge noticeable difference in size between the two and fact is not everybody wants the biggest diamond they can get. The other fact is only his girl can tell him which is best for her. If these facts are conflicting I'm sorry, sometimes I'm a complex person.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 2:40:25 PM
Author: mmpawnshop
I was in a pawn-type shop in San Diego recently, and the woman there was trying hard to sell me a 1.79 carat Old European/Mine Cut H-color rock. Her main selling point was that H was "completely colorless."
20.gif
Even when I held it upside down against a white piece of paper to show her that "respectfully, the color is fine, but its not colorless," she disagreed and kinda started a fight with me.

I wasn''t even considering it - no cert, had no way of really examining the stone well on the spot, had pretty much already picked out a stone, etc., etc., but my girlfriend and I were just playing while on vacation (she loved the size
30.gif
) - but after this all went down I had to say
35.gif

Something about this post reminds me of that woman...
12.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 4:19:35 PM

Ah, that''s probably because I''m not really trying to budge them either way.

The other fact is only his girl can tell him which is best for her.
1. I don''t see anyone trying to "budge" the poster either way either. OP asked for *opinions*, and each person is giving his/her own opinion of which diamond HE OR SHE would choose (and why).

2. No one is saying which diamond will be better for his girl......again, only giving opinions on which diamond each of THEM would prefer and why.

Midway

Rough_Rock
I''d vote for the G also, partially bc I''ve seen WF ACA and to me they appear whiter than other stones of the same color grade. I had a WF ACA H for a while and I compared it with another G that I purchased and I couldn''t distinguish the difference, they both looked really white, even from the side, upside down on white paper, however you wanted to look at them.

Just my .02 but I think you''ll be happier in the long run sacrificing one color grade for the additional size, especially since the G is almost .25 mm bigger (a very noticeable difference IMO).

EN61577

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone that responded. I think I will be going for the larger G colored diamond in WF''s X-prong setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! You chose an outstanding stone and it will be beautiful in that setting! Please post some pictures for us!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 7:59:47 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Congratulations! You chose an outstanding stone and it will be beautiful in that setting! Please post some pictures for us!
Ditto!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results