clarity

Opinions on this strand?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissStepcut, great find!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@pearlsngems Thanks for the sound advice! I think I will return the cream one just because the color is a little off for me I think, despite its good luster.

Do you think your newer Majorica strands such as the one in the Saks link you shared with me will have better luster than the gold clasp aka whiter one I just bought? Because I really like the color (it’s got a bit of pink and green to it) and length of the whiter of the two strands I bought but wish that it’s just a bit shinier. Here are some close ups under bright light (does it look murky aka fake to you? Or is this ok and look “real enough” to be maybe akin to at least a poor grade Akoya?).

781CC032-51F8-47BA-820A-43CA56431F60.jpeg

I also love the earrings that came with this strand so tempted to keep(see below photo with matching earrings) So indecisive!

i 2107E0B3-A7CD-42B1-89AC-41AB6CBBB1A7.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new one may very well be shinier, being new. Also, knots would be new and not frayed. A new necklace would go longer before needing to be restrung.

But the one you show in this last post looks quite nice on you. Likely most people would assume it's real. Is it 8mm though or 7mm? Looks like 7mm to me. Do you prefer 7mm or 8mm?

Also, do I understand you to be saying you prefer 18" rather than 16"? This one on Last Call is $111, 18" and 8mm:

https://www.lastcall.com/Majorica-W...VhrfACh0QTwb3EAkYECABEgKDd_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Do you have a little time to decide about returning the strand?

Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@pearlsngems You’re always so observant! Yes, I think that strand is more like 7mm and the other one (silver clasp) is maybe 8 mm. I think 7mm looks ok on me in my newbie eyes (unless you think I should go bigger aka 8 mm). 18 inches too. I tend to like them just a bit longer on me I think (I’m no spring chicken!)

I think you deserve the lofty title of “Majorica Sensei” hehe since you seem to know just about everything there is to know about them!

My only hesitation in getting the $111 strand in the link you just sent me is that I’ve read online that the newer Majorica pearls don’t have as good of an iridescence as the older strands? I really like the pronounced (and maybe for some people perhaps over-pronounced aka exaggerated) pink and green tones, and at least the newer Majorica strands listed on eBay had less pink and green but rather is more uniform and and flat IMHO ie I just see white or silver or gray. Do you think there is any truth in this internet theory?

But perhaps I should get a strand new just to compare. Return policy on the other strand I bought is good thankfully!

I’m so hooked now. And yes, will save up eventually for a Hanadama ;-)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just the opposite-- I think the newer strands have stronger pink and green iridescence than the older strands. I think this doesn't always show up in photos-- the light has to be right for it to be obvious.

As to 7mm vs. 8mm, go with whatever you like. There is no right or wrong here. However, be aware that Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome is real. I definitely prefer larger pearls than I used to.

"Majorica Sensei" made me laugh! :mrgreen2: I love real pearls (and have lots of those too) but costume jewelry that is well made is enjoyable in its own right.
And not just pearls. I have a Swarovski pendant I've enjoyed for the past quarter century-- see?
Swarovski teacup.jpg

Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@pearlsngems Wow that is a very special and magical pendant! For some reason it reminds me of the charming kaleidoscopes I used to have as a child, or lovely stained glass windows in a castle.

Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome is quite funny!!!

Thanks for the clarification! Maybe I should buy the newer Majorica and see if I like the more pronounced pseudo-orient more.

Just curious, is there a way to date Majorica pieces? When did they do away with safety chains? (I read somewhere that’s a feature of the older Majoricas). My blind gut feeling tells me the sterling clasp marked 800 strand I bought (and am returning likely) is the oldest, but have no idea how my other strand with the vermeil clasp and safety chain dates?

And in your expertise and experience (since you have so many strands!) what year/decade DID the pseudo orient become more pronounced for the strands Majorica was putting out? Because after your advice and looking again at the Saks and Last Call websites, the brand new strands definitely have more green and pink pseudo orient than the strand I just bought. Did it become more fashionable in recent years?

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Safety chains.
Remember that Majorica imitated real pearls, so when real pearl strands tended to have safety chains, so did Majoricas. I don't know when they stopped, but the strand I bought new in 1986 had a safety chain while the strand I bought new in 1992 didn't. None of my strands that imitate Tahitians or SSP have safety chains.

Dating.
The older strands tend to be cream rather than white. My 1986 is cream; my 1992 is white. This dates them, somewhat. The ones that imitate colored pearls are newer.

The pseudo-orient.
Hard to say. I think Majorica has always had this final coat that makes the pearls display pseudo orient. My 1992 strand has a strong pink and green effect, but so do my modern strands bought in the past few years. My mother's necklace from the late 1960s had a more subtle color effect, as I recall. The effect is mostly seen in bright light. Colored pearls have a final coat as well, to imitate overtones.

Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome may go hand in hand with Getting Older Growage Syndrome. :P2

When I first began buying real pearls, I thought 8mm was perfect. I could not imagine wanting larger pearls.
Now my favorite strands are in the 10-12.5mm range, my favorite studs in the 10-11mm range. Those feel perfect.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@Pearlescence I bet you were able to tell the difference right away? Although perhaps the average customer may not...Did you tell her the sad truth of her purchase? (But perhaps she, like me, was gunning for Majoricas/imitations all along and was not too disappointed?)
Ha! no. She was claiming they were 'real'pearls and I knew nothing. You'd be amazed at the stuff I get told .
Supercilious lady (looking at my fw, ss and tahit pearls on display) 'of course I have real cultured pearls at home'
but my favourite I think is the woman who assured me that the holes in pearls are made when they are soft just after hatching...:lol-2:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
but my favourite I think is the woman who assured me that the holes in pearls are made when they are soft just after hatching...:lol-2:

This is hilarious!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearlsngems Wow that is a very special and magical pendant! For some reason it reminds me of the charming kaleidoscopes I used to have as a child, or lovely stained glass windows in a castle....

It's a teacup! The handle is the bail. The cup can be displayed on its own, without the chain.
Here it is upright. =)2

Swarovski teacup upright.jpg

Attachments

• Dragonfly.jpg
    Dragonfly.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you mean about its resembling a kaleidoscope! I used to love those-- still do. Years ago I bought this wooden Dragonfly for my Dad. He's gone now, but I keep the Dragonfly in the living room where I can grab it any time and have a look at the world though it. The most mundane items are interesting and beautiful when viewed through it.

Dragonfly forum.jpg

Attachments

• Dragonfly forum.jpg
    Dragonfly forum.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 34

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@pearlsngems oh my goodness knowing it’s a teacup makes it so much more adorable!! Treasure it and wear it well as I’m sure you do!

Thanks for your dating tips! I just loving learning the history of my pieces. Just took some photos of both my Majorica strands under direct sun. I think one is definitely just a bit creamier but I would say the pseudo orient is about the same on both? What do you think? Therefore is it possible they are maybe from the same period-ish?
2C77A32F-81AF-49E4-9517-90E6642CF5EA.jpeg 17DCF414-C5D0-4728-AEAF-9F539D9845F7.jpeg
I think however both my strands definitely have less pseudo orient than your newer Majoricas and Baroque Akoyas (photo down below with the three strands which you sent me earlier)? What’s your preference with regards to how much pseudo orient there should be?
EAA0E954-A01D-4F3F-AF7E-5187CFA2EA3C.jpeg

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
A lovely kaleidoscope and a lovely memory of your father, thank you for sharing!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at the photo of your two strands in sunlight, I do not think they are from the same period, no. IMO the larger, creamier one is older, and the knots seem more worn. The smaller one has more pseudo-orient.

Okay, here are some photos to show color and pseudo-orient in different natural light conditions and on my skin.

Remember the 30" long, 7mm white strand I bought new for Christmas in 1992? Back when my D was in elementary school I bought the same size/color/clasp strands in 18" and 24" lengths; the three necklaces can all be interconnected. I assume they are all from the same time period.

That 7mm, 18" 1990s strand is the one on the right in these photos. (I wonder if it's exactly the same as the one you bought Maybe! The clasp is the same.)
The one on the left is the 8mm 16" modern white that I had in my earlier photos. I find it has a slightly pinker tint and sharper luster than the 1990s strand.

Without further ado (and chuckling at how arcane is our interest in this):
1. The two strands on my neck just inside my open front door. It's a sunny day.
modern white 8mm & 1990s white 7mm Majoricas near open door, sunny day forum.jpeg

2. The two strands in my hand, also at the open front door.
The two white majoricas near open door.jpg

3. The same 2 strands in full sunlight outdoors.
the two white Majoricas in full sunlight.jpg

4. The same strands in my kitchen; light is more diffuse here.
the two white Majoricas in kitchen.jpg

Of the two, I prefer the modern white strand for its size, sharper luster and whiter/pinker color tone.
I don't dislike the 1990s strand but I don't wear it, either. I bought it some 12 or 13 years ago, and I have better options (both real and fake) now when I'm in the mood for wearing white pearls.

As to pseudo-orient, IMO the 1990s one is quite good-- just as yours is. I don't think the modern white one has more of this orient effect.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@pearlsngems

Hehe arcane indeed but so much fun! Thanks as always for your time. Your photos really do illustrate the point well. I think I’m going to wear my Majorica strand for a few days and sit on it. (What’s the best way to clean faux pearls? Wet cloth +/- soap and rub each bead and try to avoid getting the string wet? Don’t want to rub the paint off!)

Meanwhile, perhaps I should visit Mikimoto’s the next time I’m in Las Vegas! Now that I know a teeny bit more about pearls (thanks to you!), it may be fun to try on some really expensive baubles!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes to trying on pricey pearls! Be aware that if you do buy from Mikimoto, they have a no refunds (store credit only) policy in their stores. On Mikimoto.com, 15 days to get a refund.

Clean faux and real pearls the same way. Soak for 10 minutes or so in warm filtered or bottled water (to avoid chlorine and hard water minerals) with a few drops of mild soap or baby wash. Dr. Bronner's fragance free liquid soap is a good choice. Don't use detergents-- they are too harsh. Wipe clean with a soft cloth such as microfiber. Rinse with filtered water, wrap in a soft towel and do not wear pearls until the thread has completely dried, as wet thread can stretch.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@pearlsngems thank you for the great tips! I’ll keep you posted and will be sure to send you more photos when I’m at Mikimoto’s! (Hopefully I’ll be able to make a trip later this summer!)

Thank you for this awesome start to my pearl journey. You’ve been so generous and helpful, and made the whole process lots and lots of fun. I’m so glad I bought those glass beads that started all this! :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
HM Queen has only real pearls. She's had the same two strands most of her life. One was a 21st present from her late father, the then King.
I'm reminded that I need to work on finding out what sort of pearls they are. Most probably naturals from UK waters

HM Queen has only real pearls. She's had the same two strands most of her life. One was a 21st present from her late father, the then King.
I'm reminded that I need to work on finding out what sort of pearls they are. Most probably naturals from UK waters
i was referring to Queen Alexandra, our Queen's great grandmother
she wore a lot of jewlery all and once and pearls all the way up her neck

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
i was referring to Queen Alexandra, our Queen's great grandmother
she wore a lot of jewlery all and once and pearls all the way up her neck
Gotcha! no problem. Some Queens have indeed festooned themselves with pearls. So much that you have to wonder how they managed not to topple over - think Elizabeth l

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results