shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this stone please.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I''m leaning towards going with an online vendor but locally I have this deal.

HRD cert
Pear
3.57ct
HS12 - eye clean ....doesn''t look that clean under a 10x loupe but i''m okay with that
12.96 x 8.32 x 5.43

Table 58%
Cr height 16%
pav depth 43.5%

USD 27,500

Its got the ltw ratio I want and its a beautiful teardrop shape. Offering 100% upgrade and help selling my current stone. The only thing is I know I will probably not get anywhere near online prices from him if I upgrade.

Can I do better.
thanks

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to post the cert but his comment was that he doesn''t usually give out certs to his customers because they start comparing.....He only agreed to give me the cert if I didn''t show anyone. I guess getting a photo of 10x mag would also be out of the question.........???????

yeah WARNING WARNING WARNING bells.....

Here is another alternative.
but I am worried the ltw would be too long
3.53ct
gia
G SI2
d 63.9%
t 57%
tn-vtk no gd gd
13.71-8.37-5.35
$27670*

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen this most useful shape selector from Dave Atlas? If you haven't seen the diamond then it is great to determine LW ratios.

http://www.gemappraisers.com/shapePickerNew.asp

There is also a cut class chart to help further.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc3.asp

As to your vendor being awkward about letting you see the grading report, I have never heard of such a thing before
32.gif
and his conditions, do you have to buy from him???? I would have thought with the price of these diamonds he would be going out of his way to help you and to secure a sale...

Above all, let your eyes do the choosing, a pear's beauty can really be best evaluated by the eyes.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the reply Lorelei.....

I think its alot of $$ to put down with him being weird about giving me a photocopy of the report.

I don''t have to buy from him....

Thanks for the shape selector...I had forgotten where that was.

I have read that choosing a pear the numbers can be all over the place in terms of cut class so its best to view it personally...I will have to get an online vendor to source them send it to an appraiser.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has often been said that choosing a fancy shape is best done by the eyes. I have a large pear and it is all over the place with the numbers, but it is a stunning diamond! Numbers are a help, but above all, trust what your eyes tell you. I don't know what his problem is with the grading report, that is nuts to not want you to compare....What is he hiding???? There are too many good vendors out there who will help you, to bother with this person IMO. What if you did buy from him then wanted to return it for any reason, it might be a real headache you are best being without if that is his attitude...You probably know to look carefully at SI2's in that shape and size to make sure each diamond is eyeclean.

Best of luck, I LOVE huge pears!

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei. That must have been your post I had read about not being able to judge pears by the numbers on the cut class chart.

What was the size of your stone again.

Sorry I can''t remember...have read alot of posts on pears in the last few days.

I should have remembered your cute kitty though....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might have been, but it seems the experts often give this advice and they see enough to know. The cut class charts are a big help as you can make sure you are not buying a pear that is so deep it looks smaller than it should etc, you can check tables to make sure they are within suggested sizes etc. My pear is a GIA graded 2 ct, sorry, there aren't any pics of it.

I would buy my pear again for sure as I love it, if I was to do it again, I would use the cut class charts to narrow down contenders, but consider those just outside the 'box' if the vendor was good etc. Once I had my lineup, I would ask for pics and an Idealscope image if possible, they can be helpful. Then I would choose from there. If I was using a B&M, I would use the chart and my eyes, but not discount a diamond which my eyes adored but maybe fell outside of the best numbers, you can't always pinpoint the magic of a diamond with numbers, especially fancy shapes! Just thinking too, Mark at Engagement Rings Direct has a good rep for fancy shapes, Good Old Gold does too, might be worth checking out their websites to see what they have. Both these guys have great eyes.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 7:15:50 AM
Author: Lorelei
It has often been said that choosing a fancy shape is best done by the eyes. I have a large pear and it is all over the place with the numbers, but it is a stunning diamond! Numbers are a help, but above all, trust what your eyes tell you. I don''t know what his problem is with the grading report, that is nuts to not want you to compare....What is he hiding???? There are too many good vendors out there who will help you, to bother with this person IMO. What if you did buy from him then wanted to return it for any reason, it might be a real headache you are best being without if that is his attitude...You probably know to look carefully at SI2''s in that shape and size to make sure each diamond is eyeclean.

Best of luck, I LOVE huge pears!
Exactly.
14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results