shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this stone and advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
I'm looking to upgrade my wife's original engagement ring and am hoping to get something close to 2 carats, <2 on the HCA, G, VS2 all for around 20k give or take a little. I started out looking for H&A stones in the 1.8 and 1.9 carat range but nothing's showing up in the search, so I expanded my search to non AGS 0 stones.

This stone looks good, but I'd like opinions on whether or not it's good for the price or if I should have a vendor do a specific H&A search for me. I'm not in a hurry, so I can wait or jump on this stone if the consensus thinks it's a great deal.

Round brilliant, G, VS2, 1.99 carat, GIA cert, HCA of 1.7
Depth 62.4
Table 57
Crown angle 37.5
Pavilion angle 40.2
Polish very good
Symmetry Very good
Comments: "Additional clouds not shown"
No culet
Faint fluorescence
Price: $20,200

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 3:14:19 PM
Author:chiefneil
I''m looking to upgrade my wife''s original engagement ring and am hoping to get something close to 2 carats, <2 on the HCA, G, VS2 all for around 20k give or take a little. I started out looking for H&A stones in the 1.8 and 1.9 carat range but nothing''s showing up in the search, so I expanded my search to non AGS 0 stones.

This stone looks good, but I''d like opinions on whether or not it''s good for the price or if I should have a vendor do a specific H&A search for me. I''m not in a hurry, so I can wait or jump on this stone if the consensus thinks it''s a great deal.

Depth 62.4
Table 57
Crown angle 37.5
Pavilion angle 40.2
Polish very good
Symmetry Very good
Comments: ''Additional clouds not shown''
No culet
Faint fluorescence

Personally, I think the crown angle is a bit too high. Also, with a depth of 62.4, this stone is facing up more like a 1.8 carat stone.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 4:10:34 PM
Author: kcoursolle

Date: 3/5/2007 3:14:19 PM
Author:chiefneil
I''m looking to upgrade my wife''s original engagement ring and am hoping to get something close to 2 carats, <2 on the HCA, G, VS2 all for around 20k give or take a little. I started out looking for H&A stones in the 1.8 and 1.9 carat range but nothing''s showing up in the search, so I expanded my search to non AGS 0 stones.

This stone looks good, but I''d like opinions on whether or not it''s good for the price or if I should have a vendor do a specific H&A search for me. I''m not in a hurry, so I can wait or jump on this stone if the consensus thinks it''s a great deal.

Depth 62.4
Table 57
Crown angle 37.5
Pavilion angle 40.2
Polish very good
Symmetry Very good
Comments: ''Additional clouds not shown''
No culet
Faint fluorescence

Personally, I think the crown angle is a bit too high. Also, with a depth of 62.4, this stone is facing up more like a 1.8 carat stone.
I agree, I think the crown angle is bringing the HCA of that stone up.

As for the depth, it wouldn''t bother me one bit.... I''m not so sure 1% added depth (over a similar stone with 61 depth) will make the stone face up 10% smaller... maybe 3% or .15mm ? With a stone on the deeper side, as that one is, it certainly can be beautiful with the stone generating a LOT of fire, but at the same time you might want to check the spread chart to see if you''re losing too much spread by going to that depth.

Plus that price looks pretty good too, doesn''t it?

Anyhow I''m an amateur so I''m just throwing that out there for what its worth...
35.gif

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I''ll pass on this one and keep searching.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results