shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Square H&A?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
Got this little puppy on hold over at GOG after they brought it in to take a look fo rme:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2894/

It looks great to me on a preliminary look (from work) - and Tim gives it two big thumbs up. Am I missing anything?

My only concern is the slight leakage on the sides - but that is symmetrical as well and could add contrast if I put it in a small/think halo setting and block light from below (that''s the current plan).

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2007 3:58:08 PM
Author:rjdodd
Got this little puppy on hold over at GOG after they brought it in to take a look fo rme:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2894/

It looks great to me on a preliminary look (from work) - and Tim gives it two big thumbs up. Am I missing anything?

My only concern is the slight leakage on the sides - but that is symmetrical as well and could add contrast if I put it in a small/think halo setting and block light from below (that''s the current plan).
WOW I just LOVE the symmetry on this one. I don''t know anything about square stones but the symmetry is very important to me. And if you have two thumbs up I would call it in.

You really need to get a look at the color and see how it looks to you. But with all that sparkle it should be great.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what leakage?

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 4:22:39 PM
Author: JulieN
what leakage?
Aren''t the little white triangles in the middle of each side on the DiamXray leakage? OR do I need to go back a learn how to read those picture (again).

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Its beautiful! How much is it if I may ask?

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
WOWIE does that diamond look beautiful or what??? !!!!

At a hair under 3 and half carats that thing is spectacular!!!!

You should eyeball the "J" color. I have two "J" diamonds that face up really, really white and are set next to an "H" and for the life of me I cannot see any color difference. However, not all J''s are created equal so you should look at it, especially if you are very color sensitive. If after you''ve seen it, it checks out to your liking, then I say go for it. Especially with the thumbs up from GOG. Can it get any better than that?

Disclaimer: I''m no expert, just a diamond LOVER!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really don''t know much about Square H&A stones, but I really love the what I''m seeing!! Please come back with pictures of the finished product, I''d really love to see what it will look like!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2007 4:35:15 PM
Author: rjdodd

what leakage?
Aren''t the little white triangles in the middle of each side on the DiamXray leakage? OR do I need to go back a learn how to read those picture (again).
The amount of leakage is absolutely normal, and there will be no benefit to an especially designed setting.

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
I would absolutely, positively NOT be concerned with light leakage in a square H&A. They are dazzlers!!! I have seen this type of diamond in person and they are nothing short of SPECTACULAR!!! Have you viewed this diamond in person? I would bet the color appears better than the J because of the cut quality in this stone. I am in love with your diamond!!!

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
I have not seen this stone in person - but I don''t think either my wife or I are color sensitive. My wife has an antique diamond (small, family heirloom) that appears quite tinted (to me) from the side and she doesn''t notice any color face up. Tim at GOG also tells me it faces up very white so I think I should be safe.

While I''d love to see a selection of stones presonally, my B&M experiences in my town have not been great - not the greatest selection or prices. Not to mention one was supposed to bring in a few bigger stones for me to look at but never did.

zhuzhu - the price is about $36k, but I''m paying for the cut

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 4:35:15 PM

what leakage?
My understanding is that those 4 white triangles NEED to be there in order to create the optical symmetry, so there will always be some of those at the edge, whether it is a round brilliant cut H&A, solsafara, or this type of diamond. If the diamond is missing those bullet marks on the edge then you''d actually have a worse cut diamond...

Remember that the DiamXray viewer is a little bit more critical of diamonds than some of the other viewers.
See this link for more info on the viewer: http://www.goodoldgold.com/Articles/DiamXray/

The megascope scores are all maxed out -- while most knowledgable people say don''t buy a diamond based on the paper, I do think if a stone is high in the megascope/gemex viewers you probably have a stone that has high performance.

That stone is a knockout from what I see! The only thing that would be a concern would be the color but if you like J''s then you will be absolutely fine.

Anyhow thats just my opinion as an amateur, I''d love to see pictures if you get it, though!

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
Just the latest update.

Had it sent to Dave Atlas & Co for appraisal (without the paper work) - I''ve been interacting with Chris over there, great to work with
36.gif

They graded it VS2 and I/J (four people looked at it - 2 Is and 2Js). Interesting that when Tim @ GOG ran it through the Gran Colorimeter (twice) it came back I/J once and J once.

It''s mine now
31.gif

Just got to thank PS again - between GOG and the Atlas guys every recommendation has been a pleasure to work with.
36.gif

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 5:07:54 PM
Just the latest update.

Had it sent to Dave Atlas & Co for appraisal (without the paper work) - I''ve been interacting with Chris over there, great to work with
36.gif

They graded it VS2 and I/J (four people looked at it - 2 Is and 2Js). Interesting that when Tim @ GOG ran it through the Gran Colorimeter (twice) it came back I/J once and J once.

It''s mine now
31.gif

Just got to thank PS again - between GOG and the Atlas guys every recommendation has been a pleasure to work with.
36.gif

That''s awesome - congrats!!! Please post some pictures of the ring when it''s completed so we can all oooh and aaaw over it!
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be still my heart! Whatcha gonna do with it?
30.gif

And congrats!

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
It''s heading off to Maytal Hoftman soon for setting.

There will defintely be pics posted once its get done - I couldn''t be so mean to you all and show the stone but not the finished product....

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to be stunning - a gorgeous square H&A and a setting by Maytal--can't wait to see it!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 9:31:59 AM
It''s heading off to Maytal Hoftman soon for setting.

There will defintely be pics posted once its get done - I couldn''t be so mean to you all and show the stone but not the finished product....
Excellent!

And no, if you didn''t show up in a timely manner, we''d just hunt you down.
9.gif

Can''t wait!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I''m so glad it worked out for you!

Did I miss something or did you even see it in person?

Yes alot of photos would be great.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2007 5:07:54 PM
Just the latest update.

36.gif

It''s mine now
31.gif

36.gif
I didn''t realize that you could get different results from a machine! It''s neat that they ran it through twice. Hope it doesn''t take too long to get it set.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooohh, can''t wait to see the final product!!! Maytal will do an awesome job!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!
36.gif

Can''t wait to see the pictures!
30.gif

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Waow ! That is a serious bling you got here
30.gif
Beautiful and I can''t wait to see pics of it in a setting !! Bravo !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results