shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Square H & A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chinchy

Rough_Rock
I''m really interested in this Square Hearts and Arrows diamond, but I wanted to get your opinions on it. Here are some pictures:

Arrows:
arrows.jpg

Hearts:
hearts.jpg

Lightscope:
lightscope.jpg

Here is my main concern: I''ve looked at the sarin file on this diamond, and when examining the bottom of the diamond, and looking at the pavilion mains, I can see that some of the cuts don''t fully line up. I believe this is what is contributing to some of the points of the hearts looking a little crooked (3 o''clock and 9 o''clock position). However, the BrillianceScope analysis of this stone is awesome.

Am I being too anal? Should I hold out for a better Square H&A or should I snap this one up now?

Thanks for your help!

burnban35

Rough_Rock
I have a SQH&A and I absolutely love it. What is the Sarin information? I''d love to see if it''s anything like mine and give you an opinion.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, I see what you mean, and the broken arrow.

Other than that the stone looks good, and if the Bscope is good - it probably is a nice performer in person as well.

So, should you wait?

1. - How long do you have to wait? Do you have time, a few weeks? a few months?
2. What size is this stone? Is this particular size readily available?
3. Budget - is this stone in your budget because of the arrow/pavilion issue? Are there others the same cut/size quality that you can consider..

Of course if you have time to wait and look - then this isn''t an issue..

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Face up, to your eyes how does the stone look? No one will see these "crooked heart points." You can''t even see the hearts pattern in a stone once it is mounted and without the tool. So why let this decide for you? Is something no one will ever see going to make your decision for you all, things considered?

If you love it and it looks great to your eyes, then you should get it. If you need to know the hearts have perfect points and it will drive you insane until the day you die because you *know* the points are off, then keep looking. Only you know what is important to you.

tareyton

Rough_Rock
I agree with the previous poster. H&A pattern is kind of a marketing technique. You can''t see the pattern without the tool.

I know GOG has some awesome Square H&As. I considered one of theirs a 1.09 D VS1 it was gorgeous. There prices are great have you checked out their selection.

Chinchy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments! I think I''m being too anal, as I''ve been told that the process for cutting the Square H&A is nowhere as refined as the process for the current round H&A''s. So what I have is very good. I looked at the files for other Sq H&A''s and saw many with extra facets, or cuts that were really off. After seeing the other stones in more detail, I''m finally satisfied with this stone.

jjaks: i forwarded you a link to the sarin.

Laney: Yes the BrillianceScope looks real good. I had it compared on the round scale, and it comes up borderline High/Very High for white light, and VH for the other 2. So it''s almost triple VH''s.
1. In terms of how long I have to wait... Well, sooner is better. I wanted to propose before the year is up, but I''m in the process of commissioning the ring to be made. That''ll take prob 3-4 weeks at least, so there''s still some leeway. I still have about 4 months before the year is up, so there''s still some time, but the pressure is on!
2. Size is in the 1 - 1.1 ct range, so yes it''s readily available.
3. This stone is in my budget because originally I was looking for something F/G in color, and VS2 or higher in clarity. This one is slightly lower in color, but H is still livable.

Jennifer5973: I haven''t actually seen the stone in person. I''m buying over the internet from a fabulous vendor. That''s why I''m a little anxious, because a) i''ve never bought from the internet (actually I''ve never bought any diamonds at all!) and b) I''ve never ever seen the Square H&A cut in person. But yes, you''re absolutely right. No one will ever see the Hearts, and the BrillianceScope shows wonderful performance, so I can live with slightly off faceting. At least it doesn''t have extra facets!

Tareyton: Yeah I saw the 1.09 D VS1. I''ve heard that it looks beautiful! The price on this one was a little high for my budget. But here is proof for me that a mind clean stone is hard to find, because even though the pavilion mains all join up well, if you look at the Sarin file for that one, you will see that it has 5 extra facets. I think that knowledge would drive me nuts!

Does anyone other than GOG sell Square H&As?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Chinchy, you know you can have GOG ship the stone to an independent appraiser and see it first before buying...it may cost $200-$300 but that''s a small amount to guarantee peace of mind for such a significant purchase. Good luck.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results