shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Pearl?

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I'm new to the Pearl forum and am trying to make my first purchase. I want to get a single Tahitian pearl that I will have set into a custom necklace (design not yet decided) to commemorate my wedding in Bora Bora a few weeks ago.

I looked at pearls in Bora Bora, Moorea and Tahiti and decided on a size around 11.5mm in either peacock with blue overtones or silver with strong blue overtones. This is the lineup I received from PP and I'm thinking about ordering the bottom middle one even though it's only 11.1mm.

Since I'm a complete novice when it comes to pearls, does this one look like a high quality option? And is there anything specific I should be looking for when evaluating Tahitian pearls?

Thanks!

PP Pearls.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
The bottom pearl would be my choice too. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Mine as well... that is a bit harder of a color to come by. Usually it's the green/ peacock colors.

I vote blue. I'd rather have a stunning smaller pearl than a bigger average pearl !

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
I vote blue. I'd rather have a stunning smaller pearl than a bigger average pearl !

This! But PP sent you a fine line up to choose from, I wouldn't label any of the 7 pearls as average.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies! I know it's going to be very difficult to get a Tahitian pearl that is really blue, so that's why I thought the bottom middle one would be a good option. I've emailed nearly all the pearl places recommended on here and that one is by far the bluest and most appealing to me.

With that said, should I hope and wait that a better pearl comes along or do you think I should order that one since it's probably one of the best I could find?

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Ignore previous post - I just decided to go ahead and order that pearl. The more I look at it, the more I like it so I figured it's better to just see it in person.

If I love it, any jeweler recommendations for a custom necklace?

PearlsOfJoy|1313166200|2989379 said:

This! But PP sent you a fine line up to choose from, I wouldn't label any of the 7 pearls as average.

I think they are all great! By average... I think I mean more that you see A LOT of green tahitians.

Just remember, there is no rule against having TWO blue tahitians if you were to ever come across another one that you like as well :naughty:

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
I just received the bottom middle pearl and I have to say I was surprised at how silver and green it appeared. There is a little hint of blue in some lights, but definitely not like it appears in the picture. It really has a silver appearance to it, so is that what is considered blueish in a green bodied Tahitian?

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
The question is, do you still like it?

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Also, now that I'm looking at the picture again, I'm wondering whether the bottom right one would turn up more blue looking in person.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe they can send you the bottom right one and then you can compare them. Even with good photos it's still very difficult to judge colors, especially ones as fickle as pearl colors, without your own eyes to compare them.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to email PP on Monday and order the pearl in the bottom right. I DO like the pearl I received, but it's just not quite what I imagined. I think being able to compare in person will make it a lot easier to decide.

I really hope one of these works out, I've already started the planning for my necklace. :naughty:

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
What's the necklace going to look like?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
You can definitely find teal/blue- really blue looking- Tahitians. I have a cool-toned round AAA Tahitian necklace and the center one is very strikingly blue looking. Too bad that the one in the pic wasn't so blue in person- looked great in the pic! Tahitians are real buggers to get an accurate pic of unfortunately. If it doesn't strike you as just right send it back and keep looking, the right one is out there!

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Portoar - I'm currently getting quotes for a necklace similar to the attached picture. I've always wanted a diamonds by the yard necklace, so I just fell in love with this.

LGK - where did you get your blue Tahitians? I've emailed pretty much every pearl place and all the blues have been super silver or not blue at all. I lack patience and want to get my necklace made, so I'm probably just going to pick the best of the two that PP offered if something else doesn't pop up soon.

pearl inspire.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Sadly, I got it from a vendor that doesn't sell any more. That would be, the now defunct FutureFashionista. She had some amazing colors, especially in the teal and blue range for some reason, and I'm absolutely kicking myself for not getting a teal baroque strand from her. I miss her stuff! Now I keep trying to buy Tahitians from other vendors and then returning because I got spoiled I think :(sad But, yes, the blue you want *is* out there! You might try pearlsociety on ebay- I've gotten some *stunning* singles from them; they take good, realistic and detailed pics. (I find a lot of PP's and TahitianPearls.biz's pics make the orient look way better than it turns out to be in person, which annoys me.)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
LGK|1314146152|2997850 said:
Sadly, I got it from a vendor that doesn't sell any more. That would be, the now defunct FutureFashionista. She had some amazing colors, especially in the teal and blue range for some reason, and I'm absolutely kicking myself for not getting a teal baroque strand from her. I miss her stuff! Now I keep trying to buy Tahitians from other vendors and then returning because I got spoiled I think :(sad But, yes, the blue you want *is* out there! You might try pearlsociety on ebay- I've gotten some *stunning* singles from them; they take good, realistic and detailed pics. (I find a lot of PP's and TahitianPearls.biz's pics make the orient look way better than it turns out to be in person, which annoys me.)

Check Jose's stuff! http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian_pearl_necklaces.htm

Plus he's not crazy and living with chickens, like FF :twirl:

You know.. I HATE to say this.. really hate to say this...

But my "she-who-shall-not-be-named" pearls are actually very stunning. I ordered a strand from PP and they were not comparable color wise to FF. I haven't given up yet and still check out their pearls though. I do find that their photography usually looks better than the piece. I still love PP though.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
bean|1314387311|3000609 said:

You know.. I HATE to say this.. really hate to say this...

But my "she-who-shall-not-be-named" pearls are actually very stunning. I ordered a strand from PP and they were not comparable color wise to FF. I haven't given up yet and still check out their pearls though. I do find that their photography usually looks better than the piece. I still love PP though.

In the past PP's photography was the opposite. The actual pieces are better than the pix because they intentionally did it that way. I haven't bought any lately so I can't comment on whether the actual pieces are not as good as pictures. For Tahitian pearls, I expect the real thing to be slightly darker than pictures, from my experience.

I think that's right on the mark- it's only the tahitians that are super hard to photograph. Everything else pretty much looks like the pictures! :)

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
An explaination of differences in photos at PP. In the last 3 years they have changed photographers 3 times. Same studio and equipment just different photographers. Taking pictures of pearls and capturing all of their unique qualities is very, very hard and an art.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I just received the pearl in the bottom right and I absolutely love it. Where the first one I received looked silver, this one has a beautiful green-blue tone and the color is just so much more vibrant.

Although it's not as blue as I had initially planned, the color looks really nice against my skin and I definitely prefer its size (its noticeably larger than the first one).

Now I need to get moving on getting my necklace completed! :appl:

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad you found a pearl you really love! Can't wait to see the finished necklace!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1314555406|3003672 said:
An explaination of differences in photos at PP. In the last 3 years they have changed photographers 3 times. Same studio and equipment just different photographers. Taking pictures of pearls and capturing all of their unique qualities is very, very hard and an art.
Oh I do believe that! Tahitians are slippery little buggers to pin down in a photo, that's for sure.

Anyway, I'm so glad you found a pearl that works for you, calibali! I don't usually love blue, but for some reason teal and blue Tahitians are just dreamy to me :love: Got any pics yet? :naughty: How are you gonna wear it?

I have a lovely single purple-grey baroque drop I simply had half drilled, and glued a very plain wire loop bail into. I love how very minimal the metal is- I wear it on a super fine chain and it looks awesome all by itself like that. If you haven't decided what to do with yours I'd totally recommend it for a single, amazing Tahitian.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
LGK - The setting I am having made is a few posts up. I've been in contact with WF and I think I'm going to stick with them to get it custom made. I was surprised how expensive it is, but this is such a special necklace that I think it's worth it to get a little bling too.

Ok, here is my lame attempt at capturing the color - pearls are definitely hard to photograph! In person, the color is a bit lighter and the blue tone is more obvious. My dog photobombed the first pic, but I thought it was the closest representation of the color so I kept it. :rodent:

I've also attached a picture of it with the first pearl I received so you can see how silver that one is.

Opinions?

pearl 1.JPG

pearl 2.JPG

pearl comp.JPG

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
You did really well. Both colors are lovely, but the one you picked has better luster. Sometimes an overtone that you like ends up looking blah on you. Then other times an overtone you initially would not consider ends up looking fabulous on your skin. If you ever choose pearls in person, try them all :tongue: . You never know which is best until it rests on your skin. Don't make a decision to eliminate certain overtone that doesn't look good on white background.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Keep the pearl with the best luster. You have a really beautiful pearl and please post a picture of the finished necklace. :appl: :appl:

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
That pearl is a keeper!

Ohhh I think they are both lovely, but yes, the one with the sharper reflection (luster) is the one that I would keep.

Lovely! Thank you so much for sharing pics :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results