shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this one

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Happy Valentine's weekend to all.

What are your thoughts on the color of this cushion spinel?

I am not looking for a pinkish red one, but is this a bit too orange or brown? The image with the white background reminds me of a garnet, but I don't detest that color...unless it's like that all the time.

Do your reddish spinels shift that much?

spinel.jpg

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it as it is glowy in your pic!

I have a Mahenge Spinel from Yvonne and found its colour shifts according to lighting.

Although it shows little or no brown indoors, I can see a bit of orange in direct sunlight.

Here is one of the pics in Yvonne's listing:

il_570xn_172.jpg

Here is a pic of the ring (not by Yvonne):

20190626_185834.jpg

Another:

QQ图片20190619103444.png

I don't have a pic in sunlight at the mo, sorry!

DK :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Valentine's weekend to all.

What are your thoughts on the color of this cushion spinel?

I am not looking for a pinkish red one, but is this a bit too orange or brown? The image with the white background reminds me of a garnet, but I don't detest that color...unless it's like that all the time.

Do your reddish spinels shift that much?

spinel.jpg
It’s a bit too brown for me in some of your photos. Depending on your budget, you may be able to get a better stone. No, not all reddish family spinels shift that much.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a red spinel that looks like the royal red on lotus ruby and sapphire colour type under most lighting. It look closer to the pigeon blood under direct sunlight. I love it anyways.

To me your spinel is very nice because it is not under ideal lighting. The stones on the lotus chart are under ideal lighting. They will not look that good under most lighting. You have to see it in person to find out you like it or not

1B5930A9-8554-45DA-B59F-8B451227F73B.jpeg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
It’s a bit too brown for me in some of your photos. Depending on your budget, you may be able to get a better stone. No, not all reddish family spinels shift that much.

All images were from the Granddaddy of spinel, Vlad Yavorskyy's IG. I've been obsessing with this spinel solitaire but even it could "brown out"...

8822E2E8-C901-4A6C-B896-C95FD4E0157F.jpg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@dk168, Glowy!

@pwsg07, I know that it shifts color, just wondering if I've seen the "worst" before ordering. Mind directing me to pictures of your spinel? Would love to see it.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it's nice. Its sleepy though, and that would be something that could dampen my enthusiasm slightly.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
EB5F9204-22D7-4321-8479-9E6EAF6515CC.jpeg EAE0A8C6-1047-4B32-81FF-A88C2B2443C1.jpeg C9C5F641-3685-4724-8A41-D94557CA8A94.jpeg 661E091C-39ED-45B5-9ADF-DD18311610D2.jpeg
These photos are all taken indoor facing the window, some taken with the curtain opened some are not. Of course I have chosen the better looking photos. But the photos are accurate and the stone varies with the colour temperature and the intensity of the daylight

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All images were from the Granddaddy of spinel, Vlad Yavorskyy's IG. I've been obsessing with this spinel solitaire but even it could "brown out"...

8822E2E8-C901-4A6C-B896-C95FD4E0157F.jpg

not loving this photo, if the color is accurate irl.

You really need to view these gems out of sunlight, because even if they UV glow to the sun and back, they can still be very brown in artificial light. That’s an orangy red spinel, the finest rubies and spinels are pinkish reds.

A40518EF-E645-4A6F-A7C1-BD57A66D0415.jpeg

Last edited:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
not loving this photo, if the color is accurate irl.

You really need to view these gems out of sunlight, because even if they UV glow to the sun and back, they can still be very brown in artificial light. That’s an orangy red spinel, the finest rubies and spinels are pinkish reds.

True, Have you set your chunky pinkish orangish red pear spinel yet? You were pairing it with a tsav while it was loose. What does that one look like away from lights?

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
These photos are all taken indoor facing the window, some taken with the curtain opened some are not. Of course I have chosen the better looking photos. But the photos are accurate and the stone varies with the colour temperature and the intensity of the daylight

I see what you meant. It still amazing in "royal" red.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I think it's nice. Its sleepy though, and that would be something that could dampen my enthusiasm slightly.

Yes, it has inclusions but I kind of like it a bit sleepy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, Have you set your chunky pinkish orangish red pear spinel yet? You were pairing it with a tsav while it was loose. What does that one look like away from lights?

indoors away from sunlight. It has some light silk too.

FF4A2395-D465-43CC-A6FB-354A059B444D.jpeg

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunlight F9D9F432-265F-4B00-9A6F-401D995E6DD3.jpeg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

Didn't realize it's the same one I've been looking at. Nice. You still have that cushion/oval? I remember it has some sort of small window and in a different shade of pink/red.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
indoors away from sunlight. It has some light silk too.

FF4A2395-D465-43CC-A6FB-354A059B444D.jpeg

BTW, if this picture was sent from vendor who's trying to convince me that the spinel is great under low light, I would consider them a liar...no way :lol: !

Joking aside, are there any general rules about reddish spinel, such as brownish/orangish red is liking to go brown, pinkish could go purpleish, or spinels from certain regions hold red color better, etc?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, it has inclusions but I kind of like it a bit sleepy.

It sounds like you like it, in this case I would go for it.

Sorry I only just realized what you were asking -- missed the bit about whether my red spinels shift.

Yes I have one that shifts and one that does not.

This is the shifty one in direct sun -- at it's nicest when there is full on sunlight.
20181117_181654.jpg

In shopping centre lighting (think leds no outside light)
20181202_164559.jpg

In the basement car park of my condo (horrible lighting, but shows you the most dramatic shift the stone can do. It greys out slightly in this kind of lighting and also goes peachy. Maybe it is the yellow in the lighting source that is causing the shift -- as my hands are not yellowish in real life.)
20181130_174232.jpg

Ofcourse it tends somehow to morph between these cases as the lighting changes. Typically always nice in outdoor lighting, but can be meh in certain indoor lighting situations (I don't like pink, and am not much of a fan of peach. I am not really as fervently into my collection as so many of the others here either (I sort of forget I own the stuff most of the time). So hahaha not sure whether this is a comment on my personal reaction to things, or the stone).

20190320_182213.jpg

and the one that does not shift -- in mixed indoor-outdoor lighting, not that it matters as it shifts very minimally between fire engine red and more of a raspberry red.

Sorry pictures aren't the best, am overseas and dont have any of the stones with me.

Have you checked the stone you are looking at is flourescent? This would be a must check for me.

Last edited:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@qubitasaurus Thank you for coming back with pictures! I totally get how you feel about "I don't like pink, and am not much of a fan of peach..." ;)2

Your pear shifts a bit but not as much IMHO. Both your spinels are lovely! The shifting of the cushion from my vendor seems a bit extreme. I think in order to see that neon glow, I have to look at it under direct sunlight, preferably sunset rays?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn't realize it's the same one I've been looking at. Nice. You still have that cushion/oval? I remember it has some sort of small window and in a different shade of pink/red.
Thank you.

Yes, that cushion is a 1.5 ct pinkish red (AIGS). Top photo is indoor lighting with two other pink red spinels. The rest are of it in the sun. My trillion is really the best though. It’s an incredible stone, but needs a new setting.
97E3F9A3-7251-4865-9731-9B576C70A9E3.jpeg 0081A568-C6D9-4A16-AB84-23A7B741528E.jpeg 8C8F6DF3-7629-48ED-8750-B8DE0A37B2B1.jpeg F1113281-4320-45B7-A8A5-05AA4276D1CF.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was taken in intense afternoon direct sunlight in summer. 7A914399-90CE-4A49-899A-7E8822C05DD2.jpeg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO it's a bit over saturated and will tend to look muddy in some light.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Thank you.

Yes, that cushion is a 1.5 ct pinkish red (AIGS). Top photo is indoor lighting with two other pink red spinels. The rest are of it in the sun. My trillion is really the best though. It’s an incredible stone, but needs a new setting.
97E3F9A3-7251-4865-9731-9B576C70A9E3.jpeg

Stop it, @T L JOKING, of course! :bigsmile: Show more and tell more!

How about some "worst" look of them please?

Just IMHO, those chunky double prongs aren't doing any good to your trillion, too big or something. Let it shine, let it shine with new setting!

Reactions: T L

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
IMHO it's a bit over saturated and will tend to look muddy in some light.

Bingo, i think that you spoke my mind. I am also not good at distinguish between silky/muddy and level of saturation. Sigh.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stop it, @T L JOKING, of course! :bigsmile: Show more and tell more!

How about some "worst" look of them please?

Just IMHO, those chunky double prongs aren't doing any good to your trillion, too big or something. Let it shine, let it shine with new setting!

I got most of these stones around 2008 or so. Thanks, and yes, I hate those prongs, but at least I know it’s not going to fall out!! One day I’ll get a beautiful setting worthy of it.

As far as their “worst” looks, they never look brown or dark. They’re just more pink in some lighting, and more pinkish red in others. I’d take more pics, but I keep them in the bank 95% of the time, and they’re never all out at once. The top photo is an old pic.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I got most of these stones around 2008 or so. Thanks, and yes, I hate those prongs, but at least I know it’s not going to fall out!! One day I’ll get a beautiful setting worthy of it.

As far as their “worst” looks, they never look brown or dark. They’re just more pink in some lighting, and more pinkish red in others. I’d take more pics, but I keep them in the bank 95% of the time, and they’re never all out at once. The top photo is an old pic.

Sigh...feeling so left out because there were some amazing gems snapped up by you experienced PS'ers back then. Many old time vendors are either no longer in business or providing the same level of customer services...I am sure you enjoy your gems greatly and I enjoy looking at your pictures.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@qubitasaurus Thank you for coming back with pictures! I totally get how you feel about "I don't like pink, and am not much of a fan of peach..." ;)2

Your pear shifts a bit but not as much IMHO. Both your spinels are lovely! The shifting of the cushion from my vendor seems a bit extreme. I think in order to see that neon glow, I have to look at it under direct sunlight, preferably sunset rays?

Yes weirdly those photos seem slightly brighter after I uploaded them, it really can be neon in sunlight and greyish in my basement carpark at times. But as I look at what is often listed online at the moment I feel greatful for what I have -- seems to have been slim pickings lately.

I might revise my opinion though on whether you should get it, as this last statement doesn't sound like you love it.

Do you like this one

or does it lean to pink?

Can I ask who the vendor for the stone is? Red spinel is a hard on to nail in my opinion, and it can be hard to read vendor photos as the dam things look one way in sunlight and can look completely different the rest of the time (lol wonder how many stone types I could say that about, it wouldn't be a small list....). How do you feel about inclusions, there are some instagram vendors who can probably find a nice burmese red spinel for you -- but at the cost of it being riddled with inclusions, and probably some naturals in the pavilion facets.

Last edited:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Yes weirdly those photos seem slightly brighter after I uploaded them, it really can be neon in sunlight and greyish in my basement carpark at times. But as I look at what is often listed online at the moment I feel greatful for what I have -- seems to have been slim pickings lately.

I might revise my opinion though on whether you should get it, as this last statement doesn't sound like you love it.

Do you like this one

or does it lean to pink?

Maybe just a bit..."mix of red and hot pink, strawberry soda" according to Gemfix. Much cleaner looking stone though.

I am feeling that I haven't seen enough spinels IRL to order it unseen, even it's returnable.

Are you going to set yours soon? What are they going to be?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe just a bit..."mix of red and hot pink, strawberry soda" according to Gemfix. Much cleaner looking stone though.

I am feeling that I haven't seen enough spinels IRL to order it unseen, even it's returnable.

Are you going to set yours soon? What are they going to be?

Yes after the longest period of the most atrocious indecision I think I am going to set the red one like this

Or just with 2 really nice pear side stones (depending on proportions as I'd like 0.3 ctw sides and honeslty am worried the red wont support the more elaborate design with side stone that size).

The pink I am still meh about. I have the side stones to set it like this.

But I just dont feel it.

It turned up the day my daughter was born though so I feel like I should set it and keep it.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lol terrible photo but you get the idea (think I got the stones and then got on a plane the next day so only have atrocious photos).

But now with coronavirus I cant get to the jeweler anyway really. And I am supposed to fly Australia--> singapore --> us --> singapore --> australia --> singapore over the next month or 2 so I am just flat strapped thinking about how I'll manage it.

Probably by the time I make it to the jewellers I'll have changed my mind.

Attachments

• 20191130_185136.jpg
    20191130_185136.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 41

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Lol terrible photo but you get the idea (think I got the stones and then got on a plane the next day so only have atrocious photos).

But now with coronavirus I cant get to the jeweler anyway really. And I am supposed to fly Australia--> singapore --> us --> singapore --> australia --> singapore over the next month or 2 so I am just flat strapped thinking about how I'll manage it.

Probably by the time I make it to the jewellers I'll have changed my mind.

Omg, love the 3-stone and proportion. Don’t talk it down! I am not a pink person and I still adore the picture! Please do a classical 3-stone...can you tell that I don’t like typical halo! Lol!

What color are the side pair? They work well with the pear.

Just curious how high you would set the side diamonds since the belly of the pear is curvy?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results