shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Old Mine please, TIA!

lucytravels2

Rough_Rock
Hi all! My significant other and I are looking at rings and I am obsessed with this old mine but not sure if it is a good price or what else I need to look for!

Price: $18k
Carat Weight 2.01ct
Cut Old Mine Cut
Color J
Clarity VS2
We have not had a chance to go see in person, but will be doing so next week and am really nervous about color even though the shop says it is white facing. Any thoughts, tips / advice on what to look for would be really helpful. Thanks in advance! 8CCF3F3C-16EB-4D59-A0F0-1DFEACD1571C.png 1ED85B4E-C55D-4E08-8C54-D27F607B165D.png 3AC416D1-76F4-42E5-87A2-25BD1BA4F928.png

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have a lab report?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like a newly cut antique-style stone. You're purchasing it as that, right?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Looks pretty :) If the price is right for you then go for it!

LadyGoodman

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi! I think seeing it in person will help you determine some things, I guess my question for you is are you looking for an old mine cut? what characteristics about that specific cut are important to you? What jumps out at me about this stone is it’s a newly cut stone, cut in an antique style and while it looks really beautiful it doesn’t quite capture what I look for in an antique old mine cut personally, but it’s all preference !

lucytravels2

Rough_Rock
Hi! I think seeing it in person will help you determine some things, I guess my question for you is are you looking for an old mine cut? what characteristics about that specific cut are important to you? What jumps out at me about this stone is it’s a newly cut stone, cut in an antique style and while it looks really beautiful it doesn’t quite capture what I look for in an antique old mine cut personally, but it’s all preference !

I really like something that is more of an elongated cushion that also has chunky facets and the ability to reflect light and colors. I notice that reflecting colors is more common in old mines than in modern cuts, but I could be wrong since I’m new to all of this. Appreciate your reply, I learned something new today in that there is a thing as “modern antique cuts.”

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
this stone is really pretty, but hardly an old mine cut. It looks like a modern cut elongated cushion to resemble an antique cushion?

lucytravels2

Rough_Rock
this stone is really pretty, but hardly an old mine cut. It looks like a modern cut elongated cushion to resemble an antique cushion?

Oh, the modern cut to resemble an antique cut is something I am learning through this forum. I thought it was an old mine because that’s what the seller’s listing says. Thank you for that!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take a look at these vendors to get a feel for what style cut you like.

You can also look here for a true antique. Many of his stones aren’t listed on his website so if you are interested in a true antique give him a call to see what he has in stock.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! As others have said, this is not an antique Old Mine cut stone. I encourage you to investigate more stones before you purchase. Kgizo gives you good advice on different vendors to look at (there are more, for example, search on Instagram search for old mine cushion and old mine cut).

My concern about this one is 1) I think it is slightly overpriced because the setting is fairly easy to find elsewhere and the stone is a 2 carat J. If the diamond does not have a GIA lab report even moreso. 2) I think the vendor should have told you it is not a real antique.

You can find other diamonds claiming to be Old Mine Cuts and resembling this one. You could also look at Asschers and Scissor Cuts for a similar elongated look. If you don’t need a true antique, you might want to consider a Superideal Cut, like Distinctive Gems branded diamonds, or Victor Canera’s ”Canera Antique Cushion“ diamonds. These will give you excellent light return, which makes a huge difference in modern cut stones. The other kind of diamond you might want to consider is a true antique diamond, but I’m going to be honest, last I looked, the shape/formfactor you like is rare in antique diamonds so you might not find one in the elongated form in an antique cut, easily. Update- I checked on Instagram, there are many elongated shaped antique cut style diamonds for you to compare. I don‘t believe all are “antique” but they are claimed to be. Still VERY gorgeous.

If you choose this one, it is very pretty and I too love the elongated old mine cushion look, but my two caveats remain.

Last edited:

lucytravels2

Rough_Rock
Take a look at these vendors to get a feel for what style cut you like.

You can also look here for a true antique. Many of his stones aren’t listed on his website so if you are interested in a true antique give him a call to see what he has in stock.

Thank you so much, will take a look!

lucytravels2

Rough_Rock
Hi! As others have said, this is not an antique Old Mine cut stone. I encourage you to investigate more stones before you purchase. Kgizo gives you good advice on different vendors to look at (there are more, for example, search on Instagram search for old mine cushion and old mine cut).

My concern about this one is 1) I think it is slightly overpriced because the setting is fairly easy to find elsewhere and the stone is a 2 carat J. If the diamond does not have a GIA lab report even moreso. 2) I think the vendor should have told you it is not a real antique.

You can find other diamonds claiming to be Old Mine Cuts and resembling this one. You could also look at Asschers and Scissor Cuts for a similar elongated look. If you don’t need a true antique, you might want to consider a Superideal Cut, like Distinctive Gems branded diamonds, or Victor Canera’s ”Canera Antique Cushion“ diamonds. These will give you excellent light return, which makes a huge difference in modern cut stones. The other kind of diamond you might want to consider is a true antique diamond, but I’m going to be honest, last I looked, the shape/formfactor you like is rare in antique diamonds so you might not find one in the elongated form in an antique cut, easily. Update- I checked on Instagram, there are many elongated shaped antique cut style diamonds for you to compare. I don‘t believe all are “antique” but they are claimed to be. Still VERY gorgeous.

If you choose this one, it is very pretty and I too love the elongated old mine cushion look, but my two caveats remain.

Hi! Thank you so much for such detailed thoughts, I was under the impression that this cut is more unique and thought that the price would be justified. Glad I asked and will definitely take a look at the sites suggested by Kzigo!

klrrrr

Shiny_Rock
Hi! Thank you so much for such detailed thoughts, I was under the impression that this cut is more unique and thought that the price would be justified. Glad I asked and will definitely take a look at the sites suggested by Kzigo!

Hi @lucytravels2 - I, too am looking for a similar elongated old mine stone! If you want to start a ring thread with me feel free to reach out via LT (we can chat on Insta). I've found some beauties that I've passed on that you may love, and vice versa.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results