color
clarity

Opinions on this OEC

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
It has probably belonged to one of you ladies already! Lol :lol:

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
This is my other top contender unless I talk myself out of everything and just stay with what I already have.

Attachments

• 22AFB5EB-C25A-40B3-849B-1F6CABAE83D8.jpeg
    22AFB5EB-C25A-40B3-849B-1F6CABAE83D8.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 32
  • ACE7F91D-37D9-4B24-AAD6-8BAB21CFAF93.jpeg
    ACE7F91D-37D9-4B24-AAD6-8BAB21CFAF93.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 38
  • CEB49412-3FA2-4C92-BE8D-90B7389C660F.jpeg
    CEB49412-3FA2-4C92-BE8D-90B7389C660F.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 32

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a hard time looking at pictures, so take my comments with a huge grain of salt. That being said, I prefer a distinct flower petal appearance under the table in OECs. I don't really see one here in either of these diamonds. I almost see a slight checkerboard pattern, which might mean they're slightly more transitional than OEC, maybe?? Also, I can't quite tell if there are dull spots or not, where the light isn't being reflected well (the second diamond). In all three pictures, I see questionable spots under the table in the 10, 11, 12, 3 and 4 o'clock areas. It wouldn't concern me if only one picture showed that, but all three makes me wonder. A video would definitely help.

Just my (novice level) impressions... Maybe some of the OEC experts will chime in. @foxinsox, @missy are a few that come to mind.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going off your pictures exclusively-
I think they look to be nice. I don’t see any nail head/fisheye that would bother me.
They both seem to have the pronounced pattern I like to see in the perimeter area.
If I had to choose between the two off of the pictured - I would choose the first one.
I, however, am not a fan of either center pattern, but that is strictly personal taste.
If I had the luxury of shopping for an OEC of this size - I would hold out for that reason alone.

ETA
I wonder.......if that first one has enough pavilion material available for a tweak by a cutter for a more pronounced floral vibe??. I know it’s risky..... - I just looked at LAD’s videos - I think it performs beautifully in motion. I honestly don’t know If I’d regret the more pinwheel pattern later on or not? But thats just personal preference.

Last edited:

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I think they look to be nice. I don’t see any nail head/fisheye that would bother me.
They both seem to have the pronounced pattern I like to see in the perimeter area.
If I had to choose between the two off of the pictured - I would choose the first one.
I, however, am not a fan of either center pattern, but that is strictly personal taste.
If I had the luxury of shopping for an OEC of this size - I would hold out for that reason alone.

I actually think I prefer the first one. I already own a transitional that I love, and the first one reminds me a little more of that one...I think I like the color also.

Reactions: AV_

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I’m no expert but I much, much prefer the M, but since you don’t love it I would wait for the stone that makes you giddy. Having said that though, when I bought my Oec (which was clearly a winner, everyone here said so) it took having it in my possession to let myself believe. I was so scared of being wrong ...again ...my head was doing crazy things to rationalise it as a bad choice. Now I am in love.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I’m no expert but I much, much prefer the M, but since you don’t love it I would wait for the stone that makes you giddy. Having said that though, when I bought my Oec (which was clearly a winner, everyone here said so) it took having it in my possession to let myself believe. I was so scared of being wrong ...again ...my head was doing crazy things to rationalise it as a bad choice. Now I am in love.

Just curious why you prefer the M? I’m new to old cuts, so I’m trying to learn!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you give the stats on the second one?
Plus- we aren’t able to assess the pattern like you can IRL.
Both straight face up and tilted. That can have a huge difference. Plus some people have stricter tolerances on what it looks like straight on vs tilted, than others.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock

ETA
I wonder.......if that first one has enough pavilion material available for a tweak by a cutter for a more pronounced floral vibe??. I know it’s risky..... - I just looked at LAD’s videos - I think it performs beautifully in motion. I honestly don’t know If I’d regret the more pinwheel pattern later on or not? But thats just personal preference.

I don’t really mind the pinwheel pattern, but I’m also new at these cuts and don’t really know what I’m looking at, lol!

Reactions: AV_

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These two look to be very similar in ‘flavor’.
Since you’ve picked them both out to bring in side by side
I don’t think you can go wrong with either.
This is guessing there are no girdle issues and assuming the grading you’ve stated is verifiably correct.
If you like the body color in all lighting - (esp if this might be an engagement ring)
That’s the only things I can think of.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The second set of pictures look better to me. I prefer the first diamond over the second one. I'm color sensitive, though and I see a lot of color in the second diamond which might be influencing me negatively.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Honeybasil I think I like this new contender more than the M! There’s not a strong flower happening under the table but the face-on appearance is very appealing - especially in your 4th picture of the first post. It’s nice and blocky.
Which one do your eyes prefer and do either of them make your heart go pitter patter?

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
@Honeybasil I think I like this new contender more than the M! There’s not a strong flower happening under the table but the face-on appearance is very appealing - especially in your 4th picture of the first post. It’s nice and blocky.
Which one do your eyes prefer and do either of them make your heart go pitter patter?

I really, really like the smaller one I think. I like the color and the pattern.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
These diamonds are perfect reference to one another! I could hardly choose betwene pinwheel (more movement) & flower (broader bright flash) types if the stones are comparably bright - might as well take a week wearing them to pick only one.

NTS: I've always thought that the pinwheel pattern of secondary reflections comes from a slight missalignment of the crown to pavilion facets, but have not checked; in any case, I make this note to praise the beautiful trick, it makes high symmetry not boring, IMHO.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
70274603-F0B3-4595-AF33-D90D254E0832.jpeg

Can’t stop taking photos of this one! I took my dog for a walk and kept stopping in various lighting and taking pictures and videos. The neighbors must think I’m crazy!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!
So have you made any decisions yet?

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Which one did you choose?

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I picked the 2.49 L and had David Klass set it into a 6 prong platinum solitaire.

8753A0C1-6534-4B37-A724-F327D3CCEF16.jpeg 971497FE-263B-43D1-95AC-BCA302EE2ED6.jpeg

Great choice!!!! Such great OEC!!!!! It’s one of a kind indeed.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
Great choice!!!! Such great OEC!!!!! It’s one of a kind indeed.

Thank you! I really love it. It was a hard decision because I saw just some beautiful stones. But this one just hit all the marks at the right price for me. So grateful to this forum for showing me the possibilities and giving me a new hobby! Lol

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
congrats!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results