shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this OEC Please

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
Pricescope has made me fall in love with the gorgeous European cuts. I am not a fan of brilliant rounds but love the faceting of OECs. I have been casually looking as I am wanting one for a RHR. While traveling this past weekend, I came across one which caught my eye. No certificate or detailed specs, but it is from a reputable jewelry store.

2.54 ct
8.6mm-8.77 diameter
L-M Color
VS2 clarity
Recently polished to remove nicks

The color is of concern to me as it is L-M although face-up it does not look too yellow. But for those of you who are antique experts, I welcome your opinion on this stone priced at $14.5K. Is it a good deal or overpriced??

OEC254.JPG

Narwhal

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure on price, but know someone was looking for 2ct under 10-12K, so it sounds not too far out of line....

But i would be worried about that picture. It seems very altered, or at least compressed/saved funny. Is that how it was originally sent to you? The background is pixilated and the band is off too. At first glance the facets looks appealing, but would want to see another pic.

Usually most OEC peeps don't worry too much about lower color due to whiter face up. I personally wouldn't be worried with having an L or M. But thats if the stone is graded correctly. Some times its apparent that it is a few steps lower. But the picture would help determine that. I just don't think that determination can happen with that picture.

Welcome to the OEC/OMC lover club!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think that Narwahl is right. Something is off about the photo. You saw the stone in person though, right? If it was pleasing to your eye, that's a really decent price for a stone of that size and specs. Keep us posted!

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your input. You are right that the picture looks funky. They sent me the pic embedded in a Word document and Pricescope does not allow uploading of Word docs so I tried to convert to a different format which caused the pixelation. Yes, I saw the stone in real life and I liked it. I will need to go see it in person again before making a final decision as I don't want to have any regrets if I come across another OEC that I like better in the same price range.

kds78

Rough_Rock
the faceting is very beautiful! :love:

stci

Ideal_Rock
The picture is absolutely not good. Try to print screen, resize it as you want and save as .jpg.

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, stci! Hoping this picture looks better...

New Picture (1).png

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I love the stone. My Repolished 8.57mm 2.06 L vs2 appraised at 12k last year and prices have gone up. So while I will say it's higher than I'd like to pay ( my stone was $4600 off eBay) the asking price seems a fair ballpark though you might ask for 13k.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Assuming the stone is a TRUE M, VS2, its still priced below Rapp :) Hope that helps!

I think it definitely has potential - looks pretty, with some nice faceting to it! Have you inspected it for chips and nicks?

stci

Ideal_Rock
ABsolutly gorgeous on the second picture! It's a keeper!

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Wow... gorgeous facets! Nice, nice, nice... :love:

chupiechow

Rough_Rock
So did you decide to buy it? It's gorgeous

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the positive comments. I am still unsure whether I will get it...actually the truth is that I am sure I want it, but have not mentioned it to DH yet. I may mention it tonight and see what kind of reaction I get.

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
I got another picture of the side view. I am a little unsure about the stone now as the crown looks flat (i.e. low crown angle). What do the OEC experts out there think?

OEC254_2.png

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, I agree that it looks kind of flat on top, though the faceting has "OEC" written all over it. I guess I'd still say that if the stone sings to you, who cares if it's a bit flat on top? If it bothers you, and one of the features that you love about the old cuts is the high crown, then keep looking. I hope that one of the experts chimes in....I'll be curious as to their thoughts....

stci

Ideal_Rock
Ask for the percentage table.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results