shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this JA marquise

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, I've been shopping around for a Christmas present and it dawned on me that a marquise solitaire ring is within budget if I go with an inexpensive setting. Budget is $2000. I found this diamond and to my untrained eye it looks nice (I think lol). I'm good with J color, and the clarity looks ok to me. I don't think it has much of a bow tie? Just wondering what you all think of it. TIA!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/0.80-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-sku-668396

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks pretty good. It has sort of a brown undertone, so it might be nice set in rose gold. I am not wild about the SI1, but it is probably eyeclean.

I think my only other hesitation is that it is somewhat smaller than your other diamonds and center stones.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your response DS! - Yes, the stone looks eye-clean to me too so I'm ok with the clarity grade. I was considering rose gold for the setting just for something different, but you're right in that it might complement the color of the diamond. You make a good point about the size of the stone compared to my other rings…I do have a thing about finger coverage lol. I "think" I might be ok with the size but that's what I said last Christmas about the Tiffany ring :oops:

I've been browsing the usual pre-loved suspects and honestly it's rather discouraging…I thought this might be a way to get a good quality ring while staying in my budget.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about setting it E/W and wearing it like a wedding band for those times when you want to be a little more inconspicuous or when
one of your regular rings is just too much? Do you ever have those situations? I volunteer at my DD's school and wearing a large
(I know that's relative) engagement ring just gets in the way when I'm using scissors and the die cut machine.

Edit ...I love, love, love the one Neil posted above. It looks like it has great light return through a good portion of the stone. Very
little mushy area.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used the website that's not allowed to be named and it said the faceup size difference of these two stones is 7%

Though the j seemed obviously fatter, but if you plan on setting it e/w in a casual band style setting, I think that's OK

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I prefer the one Niel picked.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel, thank you!…I didn't see that one, I didn't have the search set to include that carat weight…that's a beautiful stone! And as much as I say I'm not color sensitive, owning an F colored stone is appealing to me. The clarity is pretty sweet too. It would be nice to own one diamond with specs like this lol.

Tyty, thank you for your input, very helpful…I might consider an E/W setting in the future, as you said it would be good for times when I would like to wear something more subtle…but to keep things in budget for now I think I will just go with one of the JA solitaire settings so I can wear it right away.

Gypsy, thanks for your opinion, so helpful and I appreciate it!

ETA: Just saw your other response Niel - thanks for checking that - I guess I do slightly prefer the fatter shape of the J and it might look better set N/S - I lean towards that orientation - but I think I'd be ok setting the F stone N/S, at least for now. The F is such a pretty stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1448845032|3955428 said:
Niel, thank you!…I didn't see that one, I didn't have the search set to include that carat weight…that's a beautiful stone! And as much as I say I'm not color sensitive, owning an F colored stone is appealing to me. The clarity is pretty sweet too. It would be nice to own one diamond with specs like this lol.

Tyty, thank you for your input, very helpful…I might consider an E/W setting in the future, as you said it would be good for times when I would like to wear something more subtle…but to keep things in budget for now I think I will just go with one of the JA solitaire settings so I can wear it right away.

Gypsy, thanks for your opinion, so helpful and I appreciate it!

ETA: Just saw your other response Niel - thanks for checking that - I guess I do slightly prefer the fatter shape of the J and it might look better set N/S - I lean towards that orientation - but I think I'd be ok setting the F stone N/S, at least for now.

Fwiw if you went with the f you could afford their mq bezel (its under tension for some reason) and you could set it either orientation

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an example of a thinner one set n/s, its a similar ctw too. If that helps

_35404.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then a little but bigger with it set sideways

_35405.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1448845325|3955432 said:
if you went with the f you could afford their mq bezel (its under tension for some reason) and you could set it either orientation

Oh wow, yes, I like that setting! I like the clean and modern feel to it. Thank you for the pics, really helpful. I think I'm preferring it N/S. One of the things I like about the marquise shape is how it lengthens the finger. Thanks Niel!!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Junebug! I was wondering if you have tried wearing a .60 diamond before. I ask this BC I have had several .60 but always felt they were too small to rotate with my er and too small for my rhr.I have to agree with DS on that concern BC I feel you might not rotate it as much and you will be reaching to all your other lovely and bigger rings..

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1448846271|3955445 said:
if you went with the f you could afford their mq bezel (its under tension for some reason) and you could set it either orientation

Oh wow, yes, I like that setting! I like the clean and modern feel to it. Thank you for the pics, really helpful. I think I'm preferring it N/S. One of the things I like about the marquise shape is how it lengthens the finger. Thanks Niel!!

Of the two photos shown I like it vertical too actually. And the setting would allow you to stack above and below it, which might make up for its size, as I know its a concern.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nala|1448846985|3955450 said:
Hi Junebug! I was wondering if you have tried wearing a .60 diamond before. I ask this BC I have had several .60 but always felt they were too small to rotate with my er and too small for my rhr.I have to agree with DS on that concern BC I feel you might not rotate it as much and you will be reaching to all your other lovely and bigger rings..

I hear you nala, it's something to consider - the dimensions of the diamond are 9.7x4.24x2.5 - so it's long and narrow lol. The bezel setting will add a bit more finger coverage. So I'm thinking the ring might still have some decent hand presence. But yes, I do need to think about it because my other rings are halos and I've gotten used to that look. Thanks for your input, you have made a good point!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1448848159|3955461 said:

I hear you nala, it's something to consider - the dimensions of the diamond are 9.7x4.24x2.5 - so it's long and narrow lol. The bezel setting will add a bit more finger coverage. So I'm thinking the ring might still have some decent hand presence. But yes, I do need to think about it because my other rings are halos and I've gotten used to that look. Thanks for your input, you have made a good point!

I asked vintagelover (I hope I'm remembering her screen name right lol!) To post a pic of a new mq she just bought next to her huge ol' halo. It stood up surprisingly well next to it.

Hopefully she'll post it

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1448847805|3955457 said:

Of the two photos shown I like it vertical too actually. And the setting would allow you to stack above and below it, which might make up for its size, as I know its a concern.

Thanks Niel - I don't know, I'm thinking this ring will have decent hand presence - and I do have a few stacking bands on hand to wear with it. But yes, it's something I should think about a bit. This ring is much more lovely and IMO a better value than anything I could come up with on the pre-loved front though, that's for sure!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1448848502|3955463 said:
junebug17|1448848159|3955461 said:

I asked vintagelover (I hope I'm remembering her screen name right lol!) To post a pic of a new mq she just bought next to her huge ol' halo. It stood up surprisingly well next to it.

Hopefully she'll post it

Oh thanks Niel! That would be helpful to see!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1448848784|3955464 said:

Thanks Niel - I don't know, I'm thinking this ring will have decent hand presence - and I do have a few stacking bands on hand to wear with it. But yes, it's something I should think about a bit. This ring is much more lovely and IMO a better value than anything I could come up with on the pre-loved front though, that's for sure!

And I mean what the worst thing, you're going to get it and its too small, being not pre loved at least it has a return period

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1448849211|3955468 said:
junebug17|1448848784|3955464 said:

And I mean what the worst thing, you're going to get it and its too small, being not pre loved at least it has a return period

Niel, that is exactly what I was thinking! I can return it if it doesn't work out. I have to be honest, there's a part of me that's a little excited about owning a diamond with those specs.

Oh, I want to clarify something - when I mentioned pre-loved, I wasn't referring to the pre-loved forum here on PS - I was using the term to describe ebay, ruby lane, etsy, etc - the sites that sell vintage pieces. I just wasn't having any luck in my price range on those sites.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's going to have decent presence. Especially with the bezel. I wonder if they can add milgrain around that bezel, might look really nice.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1448853325|3955478 said:
I think it's going to have decent presence. Especially with the bezel. I wonder if they can add milgrain around that bezel, might look really nice.

Gypsy, I think the bezel with help with the presence too. Thanks for the suggestion about milgrain, it's a good one and I'll think about it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1448854888|3955491 said:

Gypsy, I think the bezel with help with the presence too. Thanks for the suggestion about milgrain, it's a good one and I'll think about it.

The bezel is thick enough the only way you could millgrian it is to just do the inside, like this. You could always ask though I think they still offer to do it for free

ch713.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1448855495|3955496 said:

The bezel is thick enough the only way you could millgrian it is to just do the inside, like this. You could always ask though I think they still offer to do it for free

Ah ok Niel, thanks for the pic, I was wondering where the milgrain would go lol, that pic helps me visualize it. I'm thinking it would look nice, break the bezel up a little.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1448856148|3955501 said:

Ah ok Niel, thanks for the pic, I was wondering where the milgrain would go lol, that pic helps me visualize it. I'm thinking it would look nice, break the bezel up a little.

You'll just have to see how they could do that. I'm not sure ive seen an example of a ring they did that on.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1448856690|3955505 said:
junebug17|1448856148|3955501 said:

You'll just have to see how they could do that. I'm not sure I've seen an example of a ring they did that on.

I gotcha, might not be that simple. I'm going to sleep on it, but I've been going back and forth and I think I might just keep it plain. Thanks so much for your help!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junebug, I think that is a very pretty diamond.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1448857602|3955510 said:
Junebug, I think that is a very pretty diamond.

Thanks marcy! Honestly, I like the shape of the .80 stone a tad better, but the .62 is the prettier diamond.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto re prettier shape on the J stone but I would not go with a J color. Maybe something will be on sale cor cyber Monday that has exactly what you want but at a good price.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Hi- Niel did just find me a fabulous mq that I haven't set yet- considering some different options right now (though i love the term Navette!) and it's lovely. Not that this is your style but I am amazed at the coverage of this erstwhile pic that's only a .80 center.

_35406.jpg

_35407.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results