shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Indicolite from Gemrite?

waitforthat

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am searching for a CS for my engagement ring.

I am really interested in this indicolite (?) tourmaline gemstone: http://gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=206
I have requested more pictures from the seller today. Does anyone have any advice or opinions on whether this is a good quality stone and cut? What experiences have you had with this vendor?

Thank you!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut is very nice, but I think the stone looks quite dark (I've considered this stone myself). I'd be curious to see the other pictures from the vendor (who I believe is quite nice, though I've only had one email exchange with him and have yet to purchase anything from him). You could take a peek at the Vendor pictures and Owner pictures section to get a better sense of what stones may look like from different vendors.

If I were looking for another indicolite, I'd be more inclined to go for something closer to this colour, but I tend to like brighter stones:

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6306

Also, apparently you need to beware of "lurkers" on this forum, who may grab a stone you like when you post it for an opinion. Some suggest you reserve it, if possible, before posting it.

Lastly, some advise against a tourmaline for an every day ring like an e-ring, as apparently it's more prone to damage than something like a spinel or sapphire.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The seller is great and a pleasure to work with so I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from him. However, that Indicolite is very very dark. If you enjoy dark stones then this will be the one for you!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
waitforthat|1318442052|3038670 said:
Hello, I am searching for a CS for my engagement ring.

I am really interested in this indicolite (?) tourmaline gemstone: http://gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=206
I have requested more pictures from the seller today. Does anyone have any advice or opinions on whether this is a good quality stone and cut? What experiences have you had with this vendor?

Thank you!

It's way too dark IMHO.

waitforthat

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses!

You've all noted how dark it is - but what does that mean, practically? Does that mean in real life it won't have much sparkle or color? Or is it just that lighter stones are more valuable?

If I want a dark color and want to avoid some of the drawbacks, what should I look for?

Thank you!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typically dark stones won't perform as well as their lighter counterparts because you can't see the facets, the light doesn't dance off them and show them to their best effect. It can affect value also. I suspect with the gem you've linked to, it will look black with blue flashes. You've used the word "sparkle" but with a stone this dark it probably won't have that effect. Darker gemstones can look a bit flat.

Dark gems are fine if that's what you want and you should always buy what appeals to you. If you're attracted to it then I would certainly get it for a look. Dana has a good returns policy and for a stone for an engagement ring you want to get it right. If you get it for a look, put it on the back of your hand between two closed fingers and rotate your hand side to side in different lighting conditions because that will give you an indication of how it will perform once set. Also, seeing a dark gem in all lighting conditions is important because some gemstones naturally darken even further in daylight.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
waitforthat|1318446720|3038735 said:
Thanks for the responses!

You've all noted how dark it is - but what does that mean, practically? Does that mean in real life it won't have much sparkle or color? Or is it just that lighter stones are more valuable?

If I want a dark color and want to avoid some of the drawbacks, what should I look for?

Thank you!

Well, I think of super dark stones like scientists think of "black holes." All the light that goes in, doesn't come back out. Dark tone does not equate to strong saturation, so please do not mistake the two, as I did when I first started collecting gems. If you want a very dark gem, unfortunately, you will not get a lot of light return, and that's something that's a drawback for most collectors and gem afficionados. If you like that sort of thing, then that's a different story. I personally would try finding stones with a lighter tone (the tone is the lightness or darkness of the gem).

ETA: I'm referring to the gemrite tourmaline above. The mastercut gems tourmaline is lighter in tone, and will have more light return.

waitforthat

Rough_Rock
Thank you, TL and LovingDiamonds for those explanations.

I took your advice, NKOTB, and asked John at GemRite to hold it for me until I can see it in person.

He also sent me another photo of the stone outside in natural diffused light. Helpful? bluetourmaline1a.jpg

LovingDiamonds thank you for the tips on how to check the stone in different lighting, I have some lead time before I can get this stone to me in person but I am excited to see it!

PositivelyPeanut

Shiny_Rock
I love the darker stone, but I can understand the possible drawbacks as far as value/performance. The colors in it are fabulous to me. Might want to give some consideration about the practicality of it for an everyday ring though as mentioned by NKOTB. I'd love to see it in a pendant.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
waitforthat|1318454813|3038812 said:
Thank you, TL and LovingDiamonds for those explanations.

I took your advice, NKOTB, and asked John at GemRite to hold it for me until I can see it in person.

He also sent me another photo of the stone outside in natural diffused light. Helpful? bluetourmaline1a.jpg

LovingDiamonds thank you for the tips on how to check the stone in different lighting, I have some lead time before I can get this stone to me in person but I am excited to see it!

Way too dark for my taste. I used to buy stones like that when I was first collecting. I now give them to my 8 year old daughter to play with. Sorry, just not my taste at all, but again, if you like it. . . .

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At some point, it comes down to personal taste. Many of us here want to be able to see into the stone, see the facets, color play, and sparkle. Personally, it is too dark for me as well. But what is important is whether you are getting what you want from the stone. I posted stones once to show some of my worst purchases on ebay, and one or two folks commented that they really liked the color - go figure! :wacko: :o

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
I like it myself :naughty: I've been looking for a nice indicolite, love the color

waitforthat

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your opinions! It guess I will have to see the stone in person to know whether it is too dark, and that will be soon enough if all goes well :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just returned a stone from John. He seems like a great guy and told me that he was sorry the stone did not work for me and to send it back for a full refund. I did not like the color of the stone I bought but the cutting was beautiful. I hope your stone works out for you. I don't like dark stones but the blue in the latest picture of your stone appeals to me. It looks very rich. Post back when you get the stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, if I were to go for a dark blue stone, I rather have a spinel. Tourmaline has a very low RI (they look more glassy than other gems). At least when you see some sparkle in a darker spinel, it sometimes refracts the light. It's also very durable.

waitforthat

Rough_Rock
I would prefer spinel for this particular ring as well for the durability and because I've read they refract light better (that's the RI, right?).

I'm know that there must be a spinel like this tourmaline out there, but I'm having trouble finding the size I want (9+ x 9+ mm) in the color I want (teal or blue-green)! Do you have any suggestions on where to look or do I just have to be patient and wait for one to come up on the sites I've been looking at? I feel like I've been looking through every site listed on the pinned topic and haven't found the right one.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I think you would probably have better luck finding a sapphire that colour vs. a spinel. If you can give us an idea of budget, some of us like to help with the hunt. :naughty:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
waitforthat|1318563189|3039908 said:
I would prefer spinel for this particular ring as well for the durability and because I've read they refract light better (that's the RI, right?).

I'm know that there must be a spinel like this tourmaline out there, but I'm having trouble finding the size I want (9+ x 9+ mm) in the color I want (teal or blue-green)! Do you have any suggestions on where to look or do I just have to be patient and wait for one to come up on the sites I've been looking at? I feel like I've been looking through every site listed on the pinned topic and haven't found the right one.

Ha, I'm trying to find a 9+ cushion spinel myself right now. This is not an easy task. Sorry. :((

waitforthat

Rough_Rock
TL|1318566389|3039952 said:
Ha, I'm trying to find a 9+ cushion spinel myself right now. This is not an easy task. Sorry. :((

Thank you, that's actually a relief to hear, I felt really dumb and a bit crazy because I wasn't seeing any!

NKOTB, a sapphire would be great, if possible in my budget at that size or close to it. I want to spend under $750, but I'm willing to go up to $1000.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I don't claim to be any kind of spinel expert or expert spinel hunter, but in my wanderings and searchings for spinel, I don't often see them in teal or green/blue - if I do, unless there's lots of extinction or a bad cut, they seem to be expensive. Maybe others can chime in re their searches for these colors, but in the meantime I was hoping that you would list other colors you might consider?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could find you an inexpesive dark blue cushion spinel, but only in the 2 to 3 carat mark, which wouldn't be the dimensions you require. The difficult part is finding a stone that large in a cushion to boot, and precision cut (if that's also a requirement to you).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At your recommendation, TL, I have been buying a few stones from Srilankamall and his/her other store (the name escapes me). They frequently have larger spinels and I even bought one about 5 carats and thought I could have it recut (it wasn't blue though), but it was just too dark. :(sad I buy their smaller, bright stones and have some quite pretty ones from them (I have stopped now, because I just don't want or need any more 2 ct stones).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1318625707|3040498 said:
At your recommendation, TL, I have been buying a few stones from Srilankamall and his/her other store (the name escapes me). They frequently have larger spinels and I even bought one about 5 carats and thought I could have it recut (it wasn't blue though), but it was just too dark. :(sad I buy their smaller, bright stones and have some quite pretty ones from them (I have stopped now, because I just don't want or need any more 2 ct stones).

Minous,
You have ESP, because I was thinking of Srilankamall when I was mentioning dark spinel cushions in the prior post. The OP is looking for dark stones, so they might have what he/she wants in an affordable stone.

Yes, they have some very pretty smaller stones. I have several of them, and they would make for a nice bracelet if I ever get around to that project. His other store is Colorfulgems on ebay as well. ;))

I also like that they are good with returns, and very prompt with shipping. They also have free S&H and the item is packed in a gem jar and a bubble envelope. It's a very nice ebay store IMO for inexpensive and sometimes well cut spinels in the low to mid range of quality. It's doubtful you will find the greatest spinel ever there, but I think they have some very nice merchandise for very fair and reasonable pricing.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'm just piping in to vouch for John at GemRite as well. His cutting is excellent and reminiscent of Barry Bridgestock's. He doesn't seem to post new stones on his website that much, so he doesn't get too much recognition here on PS, but I've bought 2 stones from him that looked great. However, his photography of green stones in particular make them look more bluish and less yellowish than they actually are. The stones I bought from him were a tsavorite and a mint garnet, and both looked much more bluish in the vendor pics. I'm not at all sure how this affects a primarily blue stone, so YMMV.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In regards to your question about buying from Gemrite. I am sorry that the spinel I bought from John at Gemrite did now work out for me. I sent it back priority mail two days ago and he has refunded me already. Great customer service. I was only out the shipping which was worth it for me. Really nice guy to buy from.

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Since you mentioned spinels, there are a few larger ones I've seen close to the 9mm size range, but they are either too dark, or not the color/shape you're looking for.

I did want to mention a couple of ones I came across though. There is this 9.6mm round blue spinel I saw for sale on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/72411353/large-blue-spinel-96mm-round?ref=v1_other_1
I think a couple of fellow members have dealt with that seller as well (run a search for PristineGemstones.)

There is this one from SriLankaMall that's a bit too small, but the cut and price are nice:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spinel-2-40...704?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfa9ca660

And lastly, if you don't mind pink or ovals, there is this very large one from Litnon:
http://litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=8833

To stay on topic, I haven't dealt with Gemrite personally, but I've heard only good things about them so far. My first impression of the tourmaline is that it has a very deep, or rich color, but it does seem like it would darken up in lower lighting. As others have expressed, I would be a little wary of a tourmaline as an every day/engagement ring stone. However, I've read a few threads from before where a couple of cutters say otherwise.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results