shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this emerald, please?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, all! I know very little about colored stones, but I'm considering an emerald RHR. I know emeralds are going to have inclusions, and the inclusions actually don't bother me at all. (I think they're beautiful and make the stones so unique looking. I know, I'm probably weird! LOL!)

I found this one on jtv.com. (Yes, I know. I shouldn't even have been looking there because jtv has had such a bad rep, but Google takes me places sometimes and I just go along for the ride.) This might be bigger than I want to go. Not sure yet, as I'm in the very early idea-gathering stages. Just wanted to ask you experts for your valuable advice. Thanks so much!

http://www.jtv.com/brazilian-emerald-minimum-7.28ct-14.07x11.74mm-emerald-cut/1716830.html

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What exactly are you wanting to know? I would assume its highly treated with fillers. So you would be buying a large, highly included and highly treated emerald of mediocre quality at best. I personally would save my money and get something smaller of higher quality. It sounds like you know this already, but emeralds are super soft. Setting a big, included stone in a ring would be risky; a smaller stone would at least stand a better chance! :praise:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
From the picture, it looks like the stone is nearly opaque. This means you won't get the beautiful glow emeralds are famous for.

I would certainly look for another stone.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both for your advice! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'm a complete noob when it comes to emeralds, and colored stones in general. So I guess I don't quite know what to look for yet, or which questions to ask.

Are there any good online retailers for emeralds? I've heard of Embassy Emeralds, but are there any other sites I should check out?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minousbijoux, thank you! I'll definitely check those out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results