shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions On This Emerald Cut Diamond Price Please

Eland

Rough_Rock
I found an emerald cut stone locally with the following specs.

1.32 carat, K/SI1 faint fluorescence

It is GIA certified, but I don’t have the certificate number. The cost is just over 5K. I have been using the diamond finder to compare and from what I’ve seen so far comparing apples to apples, I can get a good bit larger stone from online vendors for less than the local price. The stone looked very nice and was eye clean. It had just as much brilliance and flash as the 1.01 D/SI1 next to it. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures. Is this a good price or should I try get a better deal?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most ECs found locally have some of the worst cuts, so without pictures, I cannot tell you whether it is a good performer or another leaker. Brilliance and flash comes from the cut, not colour.

How does it look away from the store lights? Is it glassy or do the steps light up? Do the steps "walk" as you rotate it slowly or do you see large areas of darkness? If you place a red cloth underneath it, do you still see the facets or do you see the red colouration of the cloth?

Eland

Rough_Rock
Chrono - I can answer a couple of your questions..I only saw it under store lighting, but it definitely did not look glassy. I did rotate it to view every angle that I could and there were no problem areas as far as darkness that stood out. There also did not seem to be much leakage. I think I know what you mean by "walking" the steps, and yes I could clearly see them. When I go back, I will make sure to have something red to use as a background.

You are right about some of the locally sourced cut quality. I have seen some really poor ones to my untrained eye and there were definitely some there that were not cut as well as this one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Store lighting is such that it can make duds perform too, so try it again away from the store lights. See how it performs next to the store window / door away from those lights.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results