carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this EC?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
It appears to have a balance but without an ASET image its hard to say how good it is.

Thanks Garry. I appreciate your input. I wasn't able to get an ASET, but after playing with it some more I'm going to keep looking. It goes quite dark I'm the center, which will bug me long term!

I'm finding it surprisingly hard to find anything around the 1 carat mark, and for balance reasons don't want to go much larger than that! I'll keep looking, and appreciate your feedback for sure.

If anyone is bored, specs I'm after are 1-1.2 carat (5×7ish), D or E, clarity VS2 or higher.

I'd like to buy from Whiteflash as they are doing the setting for me, but their precision lab stones start at 1.4 carat, and they don't have A SET etc. on the other inventory.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Garry. I appreciate your input. I wasn't able to get an ASET, but after playing with it some more I'm going to keep looking. It goes quite dark I'm the center, which will bug me long term!

I'm finding it surprisingly hard to find anything around the 1 carat mark, and for balance reasons don't want to go much larger than that! I'll keep looking, and appreciate your feedback for sure.

If anyone is bored, specs I'm after are 1-1.2 carat (5×7ish), D or E, clarity VS2 or higher.

I'd like to buy from Whiteflash as they are doing the setting for me, but their precision lab stones start at 1.4 carat, and they don't have A SET etc. on the other inventory.

Emerald cuts should go dark when you look at them from very close up Gecko, if the dont then they will be dead from half arms length and further. So dont shoot your foot ;-)
I am sure WF would help you for a higher color stone in VS - have you asked above salesperson level?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Emerald cuts should go dark when you look at them from very close up Gecko, if the dont then they will be dead from half arms length and further. So dont shoot your foot ;-)
I am sure WF would help you for a higher color stone in VS - have you asked above salesperson level?

And this is why I come here for help, LOL! I've only ever had a round, and am trying to get a crash course in emeralds! I am going to talk to WF today about it. I'll take some video of the current stone later too and post it. And I'll try to be more open minded, LOL!

I also wasn't prepared to be able to see the grabber straight through the stone, and am concerned I'll see the setting the same way ... Or is that also just an emerald thing?

I went to a local store yesterday and played with some of the set emeralds, and that phenomenon did not seem quite as pronounced.

I have a few days yet before I have to return the current stone; I've got a spring ring coming Wednesday from Amazon as well, so that should help too.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Okay, the current stone is a no.

If a cert says may contain a post growth treatment, is that for certain? And is that necessarily problematic? I keep coming back to the video on this guy:

SeattleiteGirl

Rough_Rock
Emerald cuts are the best and worst!! They’re lovely and unique and a well-cut one can knock the socks off of you! But they’re also sooo tricky to pick out!!

I think I’ve said something like this before, I believe that a 360 video can disqualify stones, but I don’t think it can tell you if it’s a good one. If you can’t see it in person, you need to see real life videos in different lighting and look at ASET and idealscope imaging. That said, this stone looks lovely in the video and it may be worth seeing it in person to decide!

A quick note on seeing through an emerald… in my limited experience, I could see the temporary tension setting through the facets on my 1.7ct fairly easily, but once it was set in the solitaire setting, there was no apparent windowing. However, I hear it’s more likely to see a three-stone or more detailed setting through an emerald cut, so it may depend on your setting plans.

Comparison of the 1.7ct unset and set:
DD8F5337-F831-4CD9-A283-CFFF0BD6EB1C.jpeg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Emerald cuts are the best and worst!! They’re lovely and unique and a well-cut one can knock the socks off of you! But they’re also sooo tricky to pick out!!

I think I’ve said something like this before, I believe that a 360 video can disqualify stones, but I don’t think it can tell you if it’s a good one. If you can’t see it in person, you need to see real life videos in different lighting and look at ASET and idealscope imaging. That said, this stone looks lovely in the video and it may be worth seeing it in person to decide!

A quick note on seeing through an emerald… in my limited experience, I could see the temporary tension setting through the facets on my 1.7ct fairly easily, but once it was set in the solitaire setting, there was no apparent windowing. However, I hear it’s more likely to see a three-stone or more detailed setting through an emerald cut, so it may depend on your setting plans.

Comparison of the 1.7ct unset and set:
DD8F5337-F831-4CD9-A283-CFFF0BD6EB1C.jpeg

Thank you! This was very helpful. I have the 1.23 on the way for inspection. Something about it keeps bringing me back, so fingers crossed!

I appreciate the insight on the setting, too. It's going into a Toi et Moi, so I'll likely see the diamond on the other side (the RB pictured above). But if I know that going into it I can deal, lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results