shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this ebay spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I came across this spinel on ebay and kind of like it. What do you guys think?

g110199a.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nicely cut, but too grey and too dark.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 12:16:10 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Nicely cut, but too grey and too dark.
you don''t think it will sparkle much?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may sparkle, but the color will not be that attractive. I tend to like stones that both sparkle and have nice color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well cut but super duper gray. Unless you love gray stones, I''ll pass on it.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I agree and I bet it''s greyer in person. However if thats what you''re after it is nicely cut and I''m sure it will sparkle nicely.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
didn''t get it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally rather have a great colored gem with poor cutting than a great cut gem with poor color. Maybe you can find a better one next time. It''s hard to find a good spinel on ebay, 99% of them are overy dark, grey and not very attractive. A lot of them are also synthetic on ebay, so be leary for that as well.

Good luck on your search!

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
i''m not searching....i need another stone like i need a hole in the head, ha ha. i just saw it and the cut was pretty, and it was cheap. i just didn''t realize the color was so poor.

thanks for stopping me :)

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 7:49:44 PM
Author: karee888
i''m not searching....i need another stone like i need a hole in the head, ha ha. i just saw it and the cut was pretty, and it was cheap. i just didn''t realize the color was so poor.

The color is not necessarily POOR - it''s simply what others here don''t like. Ask Freke and she might have liked it, since she tends to like gray stones. It has to be your personal opinion, not the opinion of others.

Can I ask which seller it was from?

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 7:54:34 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Date: 5/21/2009 7:49:44 PM

Author: karee888

The color is not necessarily POOR - it''s simply what others here don''t like. Ask Freke and she might have liked it, since she tends to like gray stones. It has to be your personal opinion, not the opinion of others.

Can I ask which seller it was from?
sure -- it''s "giftsdd"

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My feeling is that if it is cheap enough, why not take a chance with it? You may be pleasantly surprised! I do like the cut and the color appears more blueish gray on my monitor! I am going to go against the others and say go for it being the enabler that I am! LOL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greys, browns, and sometimes yellow, are typically secondary colors that lower the value of a gem, although some people like them, and there''s nothing wrong with that. However, what I have noticed with most blue spinels I''ve seen, is that they tend to go more violet or blue in fluorescents, but in most other lighting, they''re very dark grey. I have a feeling that this would be the case with this stone as well. In fact, I think this picture is probably taken in fluorescents, and in that case, it''s showing it''s best face here. If that doesn''t bother you, and the stone is inexpensive enough, go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results