shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Ebay Sapphire?

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Looking to put together a blue sapphire right hand ring for my wife for early xmas and "just because."

Came across this one on Ebay. Looks like a stunner, but the limited pictures and price make me nervous. Before I drop $5k on ebay, I'd very much appreciate the opinions/impressions of the gem lovers and experts here, as well as any experience with this seller, "sggembkk"

SG-BS00067-001-A.jpg
5.jpg
3-1.jpg
SG-BS00067-001-B.jpg
213.jpg

Complete listing here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-13Cts-Amazing-Certif-Unheated-Natural-Royal-Blue-Sapphire-Cushion-/221143968009?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item337d352909

Thanks!
Jack

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
I think you can do way better for the price. I think the color is too dark, the flaw would annoy me, the cut isn't great and the price seems pretty expensive even for an unheated stone.

If I'm saying crazy things though, someone set me straight!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know absolutely nothing about this seller but there are a number of things that concern me (and that's without commenting on the clarity issues that are apparent):-

1. When I look through his items for sale I see lots of very badly cut gemstones - just on page 1 nearly everything has a window (most are huge). That's not to say that the occasional nice gem isn't going to make an appearance but it does make ME stop and think.

2. I then found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-71Cts-Amazing-Luster-Natural-Violet-Pink-Spinel-Oval-Pair-/321004654142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abd5e4e3e It's billed as a "pair" of spinels but look closely at the photo. It's clearly the same gem with the photo flipped. Same again here http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-30Cts-Simmering-Hot-Best-Natural-Green-Tourmaline-Octagon-Pair-/321027968705?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item4abec20ec1

The Ebay store had been open since 2009 but there are only just over 200 feedbacks. That suggests to me that it's either a multiple seller who uses other Ebay stores OR this person is not normally a gem dealer.

Also a BIG warning. Look at the report - the carat weight and size do not correspond with the heading of the auction OR the details that the seller has written below the report. So is that a mistake OR is it a different stone?

Interestingly the report also states that it's a recut.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Whoops, you beat me to it, LD - and good point on the quality of the cuts. His stones mostly seem poorly proportioned, shallow, and unfinished (look at where the facets meet on that tanzanite "pair").

And is it just me, or do his chrysoberyls look remarkably like peridots? ;-)

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Wow, glad I posted... you guys caught lots of good stuff I missed. Clearly a pass. Thanks so much - this forum rocks.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I once enquired a spinel whether he can assure it is natural, and after more than a week, I got a response. Seller said I don't know. :shock: I immediately removed it from my watch list. What was I thinking!

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
OTL|1353454267|3311462 said:
I once enquired a spinel whether he can assure it is natural, and after more than a week, I got a response. Seller said I don't know. :shock:

Arghahahaha! Now THAT is hilarious! Well, at least he was honest - good for him!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, this vendor is a pass. It's just too risky to purchase from.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results