shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this diamond please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jend

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''ve been visiting this site for months - what amazing info here!!

I think I''ve found my diamond for my e-ring, but would love your opinions!
36.gif
I''m living in Australia, and the vendor is Jogia Diamonds (if anyone has any experience with them, I''d love to hear it!) The diamond will be coming over from New York. Here are the specs:

Shape : ROUND
Carat Weight : 1.30
Colour : H
Clarity : SI1
Cut : Excellent
Price : AUD$8981.38 (ex GST) or US$7,332.55
Certification : GIA
Polish : Excellent
Symmetry : Very Good
Measurements : 7.11x7.14x4.29
Fluorescence : None
Total Depth : 60.2 %
Table : 55 %
Crown Angle: 34.0
Pavillion Angle: 40.6
Girdle: Thin-Medium (faceted)

I''ve tried to attach the GIA Certificate, but the file appears to be too large??

Would love to hear your opinions! It''s about $150 to bring the diamond over to be viewed, and if I don''t like it, $250 to export it back - so I want to be pretty sure I''m going to like it!
9.gif
When it comes over, they''ll provide all the pictures, ideal scope images, etc.

Getting very excited!!
36.gif
36.gif

Thanks for your help!!

Cheers
Jen

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Why can they not send you pictures of the IS, ASET, etc from New York? It would be easier and cheaper and a more informed decision if you had that info before the hassle of bringing it over.

jend

Rough_Rock
Speaking with Jogia, the company that holds the diamond in New York doesn''t have those facilities - they simply sell diamonds to diamond vendors from what I understand, so can''t get any pics or anything until the diamond gets out here.

They do have diamonds in-house (in Australia) they can send pics and everything of - but the person I''ve been speaking to believes this diamond in New York is the best quality I can get for my $$''s.

Based on the specs - what do you think? I will post the images if I decide to bring it over. But I need some help to decide if it is a good one!

Thanks!

Cheers,
Jen

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Could be good... HCA gives it a 0.5 and a Ex for spread, which I think others have suggested may be a red flag for ering stones. I''m not sure, but I think you can do better and it is a lot of money to spend just to bring in the stone that does not look like a sure thing.

jend

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 12:47:39 PM
Author: boston_jeff
Could be good... HCA gives it a 0.5 and a Ex for spread, which I think others have suggested may be a red flag for ering stones. I''m not sure, but I think you can do better and it is a lot of money to spend just to bring in the stone that does not look like a sure thing.

Red flag - as in a warning that something''s wrong? Or is it a good thing?

I''ve spoken with Jogia, and I can bring it over and get my money back if I don''t like - so that''s ok. Also, he''s spoken to the vendor in USA, and is told it''s a very good SI1 and eye-clean, But if you think I can do better - what would you consider better? I''ve been look for ages and ages, and this is the first one to come up that meets all the ticks with a great price! (Everything else with similar specs seem to be about $1k more - but I''m definitly open to suggestions! I''m in Australia, so that may also be why the prices are higher - that''s with online vendors as well. The jewelry shops are about 5k-7k more!

Love to hear everyone''s thoughts!

Cheers,
Jen

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it were me, I would go with a vendor who will send photos and Idealscope images before you get it sent to you. A few I know of off the top of my head that do this are Whiteflash.com, GoodOldGold.com and JamesAllen.com. I think all three even have pictures already up of their in house diamonds.

As far as the HCA score goes, I think you want an engagement ring diamond to score a 2 or close to it. Scores too far above and below aren''t as good for different reasons...I''m not sure what those are, but I''m sure someone will chime in who is more familiar with the HCA! (By the way, just in case you didn''t know, HCA stands for Holloway Cut Adviser, and it''s used to measure light return in diamonds. You can get to it under the Tools link.)

jend

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 8:56:04 AM
Author: thing2of2
If it were me, I would go with a vendor who will send photos and Idealscope images before you get it sent to you. A few I know of off the top of my head that do this are Whiteflash.com, GoodOldGold.com and JamesAllen.com. I think all three even have pictures already up of their in house diamonds.

As far as the HCA score goes, I think you want an engagement ring diamond to score a 2 or close to it. Scores too far above and below aren''t as good for different reasons...I''m not sure what those are, but I''m sure someone will chime in who is more familiar with the HCA! (By the way, just in case you didn''t know, HCA stands for Holloway Cut Adviser, and it''s used to measure light return in diamonds. You can get to it under the Tools link.)

Oh dear, now I''m even more confused! I though HCA score of 0.5 would have been good? Hmmm.... I''ve gone to the site and am none the wiser! It seems to say it can be good or bad? How do you know?
33.gif

On the vendor side - he will be sending me Idealscope images, pics, videos, the works before I get the diamond. The diamond will be shipped from New York to him, they''ll take all the images, email to me - and if I''m happy, the diamond is mine
21.gif
But if not, or I find another one, I will get my deposit back.

I''m in Oz, so the USA vendors (Whiteflash, GOG, etc) are a bit more difficult as I''ll have to pay higher taxes. But if I could find a stone that was the similar but considerably less $$$''s on one of their sites, the cost to import it wouldn''t matter. So far I haven''t been able to find anything, but I''m happy for suggestions!

Thanks for the help - this site is absolutely amazing!!

Cheers,
Jen

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Jen,

I''ve known people to have bought from Jogesh Jogia before.

He has a preference for GIA ''triple excellents'' with no fluoro. His website www.diamondandopals.com also has a very large ''virtual database''. ASET/IS images are a fairly new service he provides and I think they were installing an OGI machine as well. I once spent a lot of time comparing the various diamond vendors including Jogia and have viewed some of his diamonds in person. They may not be ACA / branded diamonds but compared to some vendor / B&M diamonds - he does have some comparable to WF''s expert selection at a good price. He also has some nice diamonds ''in stock/hand'' but there is a higher markup on them.

However, 0.5 HCA isn''t necessarily bad. Actually it could be quite good. When you run the HCA - there is a explanation about HCA < 1. It means that the stone is likely to have slightly better spread but also tends to be slightly shallow. A combination of 34 / 40.6 is generally ''okay'' depending on how well it''s cut but will need to be looked at. It may be quite a brilliant ''white'' diamond with excellent light return, especially if viewed from a slight distance (e.g. 1m). The reason shallow(er) diamonds are good for earrings is that when shallow e-rings may be viewed from up close where the head can obstruct incoming light it can appear more ''dark''. It''s a matter of personal preference... but if it meets your pricerange then worth seeing.

Do you live in Perth where you can visit Jogia in person to view diamonds? Jogia''s exchange policy is quite explicit and worth reading. With the current exchange rate, whiteflash (including the wire discount) and other US vendors become quite attractive.

I have heard various things about Jogia Diamonds and they are quite familiar in the legal system. However, from personal dealings with them, I haven''t had a problem with them.

jend

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much Tanalasta and everyone for your help!

I''ve decided to bring the diamond over from the USA- when it gets to Jogia, they will send Ideal Scope images, pics, even videos that I will post on here to get your opinions (although - so far, I can even post a GIA certificate - what am I doing wrong??)

Tanalasta - are you in Oz? Thanks so much for the info on Jogia! I''ve spoken with Yogesh several times (we''ve talked about 4 times over this Easter break - and no one in Oz works over Easter!!) I really like him, and my searches have revealed he''s trustworthy and that he wouldn''t be so ga-ga over a diamond if it wasn''t something good
36.gif
. Also, even with the great exchange rate, I haven''t been able to find anything comparable in price in the USA with the same specs. If I can find something for the same price, I''d prefer to buy in Oz (even though I''m American!) - I live here, and it''s easier to correspond with someone who''s here (time difference), I enjoy supporting their economy, and I want recommendations for jewelers, etc, that would be difficult with a USA vendor. Of course though, if there''s something out there for a much better price - I''m happy to reconsider!!

The images I hope to post soon should help to make the final decision!

Thanks again - I think I may become addicted to this site!
9.gif

Cheers,
Jen

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results