shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this diamond please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

timtammy

Rough_Rock
Hi again everyone

Here is a diamond I am considering - I''ve attached a report from the vendor that shows some stats as well as idealscope and firescope images. We are in the market for a 1ct approx, G prob, SI1 lowest, well cut diamond. I''m not after perfection - I don''t think we can afford to pay the premium for that - just after a very good diamond - maximum bang for our buck if you like.

As I''ve already posted we are in Australia and prefer to deal locally. This stone is from icestore.com.au and no I can''t see it as it is from their international database and they would order in for me.

The HCA came up a 1.9 with VG Light return, VG Fire, VG Scintillation and excellent Spread.

I''m not entirely sure how to read the idealscope and firescope images - they look ok to me - nice and symmetrical (?) but I see some leakage around the edge and in the middle??? Is that right?

Is this stone ok? Its $7359 Australian Dollars - thats $4356 US dollars - which seems pretty good to me.

I''m going to see them tomorrow so some quick feedback would be excellent!

Thanks in advance

Timmi

27571058.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
I'm not entirely sure how to read the idealscope and
firescope images - they look ok to me - nice and
symmetrical (?) but I see some leakage around the
edge and in the middle??? Is that right?
-----------

Hiya TimTammy. Looks like a nice stone, with a bit of leakage inside the table and the typical edge leakage that is usually seen in most stones.

The images you're looking at are simulated images generated by the DiamCalc software. That's why they look so symmetrical. Chances are good that the diamond will not look as symmetrical as the images.

Whenever I post these images I include the following information:

-------
IdealScope- In general, the darker pink areas indicate areas of greater light return, with the lighter pink areas indicating areas of lesser light return. The black areas indicate areas of greater contrast, with the gray areas indicating areas of lesser contrast. The white areas indicate areas of light leakage. A good explanation of the IdealScope image along with examples can be found at https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Disclaimer- The facet arrangement and symmetry of the image will probably vary from your actual diamond, which may affect the light performance indicated. The computer generates an image with perfect symmetry, which is rare. In addition, the star & lower girdle facet lengths might be different from your diamond.
-----------

They might have adjusted the star & lower girdle facets to the actual lengths, but the symmetry is probably not as precise as what you're seeing in the image.

The price is excellent, too good actually, which makes me wonder who assigned the grading. The report generated doesn't indicate if the stone is "certified" by a major gem laboratory. You might want to ask who did the grading. GIA? AGS? EGL? HRD? That South African Lab? Their own in-house graders?

Whoever did it, it's always smart to make the sale contingent upon confirmation from an independent gemologist appraiser. If it checks out, it's a helluva deal.

timtammy

Rough_Rock
The images you're looking at are simulated images generated by the DiamCalc software. That's why they look so symmetrical. Chances are good that the diamond will not look as symmetrical as the images.

-------
IdealScope- In general, the darker pink areas indicate areas of greater light return, with the lighter pink areas indicating areas of lesser light return. The black areas indicate areas of greater contrast, with the gray areas indicating areas of lesser contrast. The white areas indicate areas of light leakage. A good explanation of the IdealScope image along with examples can be found at https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Disclaimer- The facet arrangement and symmetry of the image will probably vary from your actual diamond, which may affect the light performance indicated. The computer generates an image with perfect symmetry, which is rare. In addition, the star & lower girdle facet lengths might be different from your diamond.
-----------

They might have adjusted the star & lower girdle facets to the actual lengths, but the symmetry is probably not as precise as what you're seeing in the image.

The price is excellent, too good actually, which makes me wonder who assigned the grading. The report generated doesn't indicate if the stone is "certified" by a major gem laboratory. You might want to ask who did the grading. GIA? AGS? EGL? HRD? That South African Lab? Their own in-house graders?

Whoever did it, it's always smart to make the sale contingent upon confirmation from an independent gemologist appraiser. If it checks out, it's a helluva deal.
----------------

Thankyou so much for your input!

Simulated images - it all makes sense now - thanks for enlightening me!

The grading was done by the DCLA - if you haven't heard of them they are the Diamond Certification Lab of Autralia - see www.dcla.com.au.

I have no idea if they are any good. But most of the stones sold by icestore.com.au carry their certification.

I have no idea how to find an independent appraiser here - do they list in the phone book? But all icestore.com.au diamonds are sold with a 10 day return policy so we should be ok there.

The price I quoted did not include our 10% GST but we would haved to pay that regardless of who we bought from.

So, its all sounding good and I think I will prob buy this stone. Its for my engagement ring and will be set with 2 much smaller side stones. I'm thinking .25 to .3 ea - I like the side stones to be real accents so it doesnt look so much like a 3 stone ring but rather a larger stone with accents. Should I purchase the side stones at the same time? How do I make sure they match/look ok?

Thanks again for anyones/everyones input in advance - this forum is excellent!

Cheers

Timmi aka timtammy

timtammy

Rough_Rock

-------

-----------

----------------

Thankyou so much for your input!

Simulated images - it all makes sense now - thanks for enlightening me!

The grading was done by the DCLA - if you haven't heard of them they are the Diamond Certification Lab of Autralia - see www.dcla.com.au.

I have no idea if they are any good. But most of the stones sold by icestore.com.au carry their certification.

I have no idea how to find an independent appraiser here - do they list in the phone book? But all icestore.com.au diamonds are sold with a 10 day return policy so we should be ok there.

The price I quoted did not include our 10% GST but we would haved to pay that regardless of who we bought from.

So, its all sounding good and I think I will prob buy this stone. Its for my engagement ring and will be set with 2 much smaller side stones. I'm thinking .25 to .3 ea - I like the side stones to be real accents so it doesnt look so much like a 3 stone ring but rather a larger stone with accents. Should I purchase the side stones at the same time? How do I make sure they match/look ok?

Thanks again for anyones/everyones input in advance - this forum is excellent!

Cheers

Timmi aka timtammy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results