shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this diamond, please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chewskydoo

Rough_Rock

Thank you SO MUCH for the opinions, everyone! It''s really reassuring to have so many people chiming in with their support. For those of you who asked about my hesitations re: budget, I had originally hoped to cap things ~6000 or so, preferably a little less. But this stone really spoke to me, so I decided it might be worth bumping things up a little bit.

Of course, now the painting hysteria is setting in...

23.gif
I haven''t educated myself on this issue yet... I''m supposing that it''s a pretty contentious issue around here. Is it the whole Classic vs. New Line discussion? Is this something I should be worried about? Sounds like it probably depends on who you ask.
21.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Jonathan, I was hoping you were just scanning and misunderstood. You''re welcome. I get paid to read, and I do it rather well (most of the time) LOL
1.gif

Rod, you''re welcome. I was hoping I had not spoken out of turn. Thank you for your reassurance.

shay

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 10:30:06 PM
Author: chewskydoo

23.gif
I haven''t educated myself on this issue yet... I''m supposing that it''s a pretty contentious issue around here. Is it the whole Classic vs. New Line discussion? Is this something I should be worried about? Sounds like it probably depends on who you ask.
21.gif

Don''t let the hysteria worry you. You needn''t worry.
2.gif

MOUNTAIN........ molehill.
9.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock

Thank you SO MUCH for the opinions, everyone! It''s really reassuring to have so many people chiming in with their support. For those of you who asked about my hesitations re: budget, I had originally hoped to cap things ~6000 or so, preferably a little less. But this stone really spoke to me, so I decided it might be worth bumping things up a little bit.

23.gif
21.gif

Not at all. Both styles will be completely gorgeous. It is just a personal preference which one you like better. I love the New Line the best.

shay

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chewsky, I''ve honestly never seen a newline stone, so I can''t comment on that aspect! I have seen and do love the classic cut, however. But I''d advise you not to linger over your decision anytime you post a stone that you''re seriously interested in, because you may find it is gone before you have a chance to buy it. I just thought I should tell you that since you are new. Lots of lurkers around here searching for stones!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 11:06:36 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Chewsky, I''ve honestly never seen a newline stone, so I can''t comment on that aspect! I have seen and do love the classic cut, however. But I''d advise you not to linger over your decision anytime you post a stone that you''re seriously interested in, because you may find it is gone before you have a chance to buy it. I just thought I should tell you that since you are new. Lots of lurkers around here searching for stones!

ditto and this is the second thread that the lovely stone has been mentioned it
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 10:11:58 PM
Author: Rod
Date: 6/8/2006 8:39:42 PM

Thanks Shay and you''re right. I was by no means trying to speak for Storm, I was just borrowing his phrase to express my opinion.

Thanks.......
You can borrow it anytime I get a chuckle everytime you post it like that.
its kewl :}

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock

23.gif
21.gif

If this stone really "spoke to you" as you said, then it may be worth bumping up your budget to get.

Here are a few, however that are under your $6,000 budget and will look the same size as the 0.998ct you are considering. You didn''t say what color or clarity you are looking for so there is a vary of choices here:

1.008ct I, VS2 ACA $5,618
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2415704.htm

1.027ct F, SI2 ACA $5,675
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2415703.htm

1.027ct E, SI1 $5,935
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-6667805#

1.02ct I, VS2 $5,532.18
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2133/

1.03ct J, VVS1 $5,678.97
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1818/

There are a lot more in the $6,000 - $6,500 price range. The above prices do not reflect any kind of bank wire or PS discount.

Hope I didn''t confuse you more....it is important for the stone to speak to you (IMO) so like I said if the 0.998ct really did, it is worth seriously considering.

As far as the whole painted girdle issue is concerned, I would let it stress you out too much. I personally have my own strong opinions about them, but others feel completely different than I do. Ideally you would want to see both types and let your own eyes decide, but I know most times that isn''t possible. I don''t think I would make it "the" deciding factor when picking a stone.

chewskydoo

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the recommendations pebbles! I was seriously considering your second option earlier... I assume that idealscope represents a good example of a non-painted stone? It seemed really close to my original option, just a little bit lower clarity, which I don''t think I''d even notice.

Ideally, I was looking for a G+ (or maybe H, depending on the face-up color) with great HCA scores.

Ugh, this is so difficult! I have the original stone on hold, so I need to decide by later today...and I''m really busy at work today which makes the choice even harder. I wish I had hours of uninterrupted time to think about this. But yeah, your second second rec looks really nice to me. It''s hard to know how to weigh the trade-off b/t clarity and price w/ those two stones. My initial preference was based on the idealscope from the original stone--the dark edges in particular, which I now know relates to the painting issue. Based on the idealscopes, which stone do you think would perform better?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the 1.027 f/si2 and the .998 f/vs2 are virtually identical except for clarity. they are the exact same size and within a hair on the angles. if clarity is not an issue, i would go for the si2 just to get the pricebreak. otherwise, all else is the same and you have a toss up. don''t stress it today. that is the beauty of buying an aca, it is easy! all of them are beautiful and you will not be dissapointed in whichever one you choose.
best of luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I said, I can''t comment on the painting issue, but in general, an SI2 would bother me (I know because I have one), so I''d pick a higher clarity. But that''s just me. We all have preferences and only you can decide how to balance out the 4 C''s within your budget!

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
The best thing would be to see the stone with your own eyes.....No one here giving opinions (one way or the other) has actually seen the stone (and even if they had , their opinion might differ from yours).....
So, I guess you need to make your choice and then decide how much you like it in person!!!

Good luck!
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2006 9:40:43 AM
As I said, I can''t comment on the painting issue, but in general, an SI2 would bother me (I know because I have one), so I''d pick a higher clarity. But that''s just me.

On the devil''s advocate side, I''d point out to Chewsky that not SI2 stones are the same.

Some SI2 stones are completely eyeclean, and I speak from experience because I own two SI2 stones that are completely eyeclean.

Others are not completely eyeclean.

You also have to consider which group you fall into: the eyeclean group or the mindclean group. Some people are bothered by the *label* of SI2 and the MENTAL knowledge of the inclusions in their stone.....even if their stone is completely eyeclean.

Unless you fall into this last category, I wouldn''t dismiss all SI2 stones out of hand. If eyeclean is fine by you, then you can get much more value for the dollar.

The way to find out if a stone is eyeclean? Call the vendor.....all of the vendors here are totally candid and honest about telling you truthfully if it is or isn''t eyeclean.

Good luck to you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very true, Alj. Mine have to pass Loupe-clean!
9.gif

dhog

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/9/2006 10:17:38 AM
9.gif

Does this mean that you only buy IF graded diamonds

IF = Internally Flawless -- no internal inclusions visible under 10x magnification to a trained eye, but there may be some tiny external irregularities in the finish

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2006 11:10:07 AM
Author: dhog

9.gif

IF = Internally Flawless -- no internal inclusions visible under 10x magnification to a trained eye, but there may be some tiny external irregularities in the finish
No, it does not. I find it very difficult to impossible to see VS1 inclusions with a 10x loupe. My preference is for a relatively high color, high clarity, ideal cut stone. Nothing wrong with that, is it?
1.gif
(My mother has an IF stone and my sisters-in-law have VVS...and I like them!)
1.gif
(ETA: I am not in an area that large stones above 1.5 cts are common, so I can put the money into a higher quality stone in a more moderate size. I would not wear a 2 ct. stone where I live and am a little self-conscious about 1.5. Finding my maximum size comfort level has been a challenge!)

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/9/2006 11:41:34 AM

No, it does not. I find it very difficult to impossible to see VS1 inclusions with a 10x loupe. My preference is for a relatively high color, high clarity, ideal cut stone. Nothing wrong with that, is it?
1.gif
1.gif
DS, are you any closer to a purchase/decision?????

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the diamond speaks to you... put a hold on it. Lurkers!! Beware.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2006 11:43:56 AM
Author: Carlotta

1.gif
1.gif
Hi, Carlotta, I am getting close. The stone with every single qualification has not appeared (and may never), but I have a strong possibility that has a little higher clarity than I require (but that''s fine), and it is a tiny bit smaller than I wanted ideally. But it meets all my other desires, so I am trying to make a decision very soon! I am debating about settings for it. Thanks so much for asking!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2006 11:52:22 AM

1.gif
1.gif
Hi, Carlotta, I am getting close. The stone with every single qualification has not appeared (and may never), but I have a strong possibility that has a little higher clarity than I require (but that's fine), and it is a tiny bit smaller than I wanted ideally. But it meets all my other desires, so I am trying to make a decision very soon! I am debating about settings for it. Thanks so much for asking!
Does this mean DS you are close to changing your name to Diamondfound - er soon?
41.gif
I sure hope so!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2006 11:56:07 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 6/9/2006 11:52:22 AM

1.gif
1.gif
Hi, Carlotta, I am getting close. The stone with every single qualification has not appeared (and may never), but I have a strong possibility that has a little higher clarity than I require (but that''s fine), and it is a tiny bit smaller than I wanted ideally. But it meets all my other desires, so I am trying to make a decision very soon! I am debating about settings for it. Thanks so much for asking!
Does this mean DS you are close to changing your name to Diamondfound - er soon?
41.gif
I sure hope so!
Lol!
9.gif
That''s a great thought, Lorelei, but then I''ll start seeking some new diamond studs! I''ll always probably be a diamond seeker! This site is addictive!

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/9/2006 12:02:02 PM

41.gif
I sure hope so!
Lol!
9.gif
That''s a great thought, Lorelei, but then I''ll start seeking some new diamond studs! I''ll always probably be a diamond seeker! This site is addictive!
SO glad you have realistic expectations, DS!!! I was just going to post: don''t think it''s OVER when you get the diamond...once you get in the habit of looking, there are always new temptations out there........and the "search" is part of the fun!!

dhog

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/9/2006 11:10:07 AM

Author: dhog

9.gif

1.gif
1.gif
(ETA: I am not in an area that large stones above 1.5 cts are common, so I can put the money into a higher quality stone in a more moderate size. I would not wear a 2 ct. stone where I live and am a little self-conscious about 1.5. Finding my maximum size comfort level has been a challenge!)

I agree on not being able to see inclusions on VS 1 stones

my wife wants to redo her channel band with IDEAL stones
so I have been looking also.

I found the following stone and put a hold on it, but I
think it is way over kill for what we want to do with it.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_details.aspx?idno=2410923

I think surrounding it with gold calls for somthing
less in color and or clarity.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2006 12:06:09 PM

41.gif
I sure hope so!
Lol!
9.gif
SO glad you have realistic expectations, DS!!! I was just going to post: don''t think it''s OVER when you get the diamond...once you get in the habit of looking, there are always new temptations out there........and the ''search'' is part of the fun!!
Ain''t that the truth!
36.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 10:37:29 PM
Author: aljdewey

23.gif
21.gif

Don''t let the hysteria worry you. You needn''t worry.
2.gif

MOUNTAIN........ molehill.
9.gif

Yes, and if you really want relavent information, find the vendor who likes Key Lime Pie the best - or was that Lemon Pie?
20.gif
Consider the unbiased source.
20.gif

That said, from the specs, this sounds like a great choice & a FINE quality diamond.

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/9/2006 12:24:07 PM

Date: 6/9/2006 12:06:09 PM

Lol!
9.gif
SO glad you have realistic expectations, DS!!! I was just going to post: don''t think it''s OVER when you get the diamond...once you get in the habit of looking, there are always new temptations out there........and the ''search'' is part of the fun!!
Ain''t that the truth!
36.gif
I didn''t notice the new "studs" part, but that''s exactly what I am thinking.......mine are a nice size, color (1/2 ct. each...F-G color), but they are steep deep (I learned THAT here, LOL!) SO, now I need better cut....
(sorry to hijack the thread, BTW!!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, please excuse the hijack! I am the same way Carlotta...my earrings have never been the same since I found PS! And we have two girls, so I''m just going to bite the bullet and get another pair!

I just really enjoy our little community here!
1.gif
We''re off to an out of town wedding, so I''ll see you all Saturday night
35.gif
!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results