shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this "deal"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

void7910

Rough_Rock
So, I was at a local trusted jewllers on the weekend and spoted this magnificent loose stone; round cut 1.92 carats beneath the counter. When I saw the grading was Very Good Cut, F color and I1 I was VERY leary about the I1. I have seen some horrible stones with I1 ratings (lots of clouds in the table). To the unaided eye all I was able to see were two small inclusions:

1) Small cloud, off the table almost on the edge. Should be easily covered by a mount prong.

2) Very fine feather on one edge of the table, only visible when the stone was on a black cloth. Once the stone was picked up in the jewller''s diamond holder tool it took me nearly 10 minutes of slowly rotating the stone to locate the same feather.

My questions to all of you are:

A) By GIA spec''s should this stone be an I1? I am guessing that because the inclusions are easily visible when unmounted, that yes this rating is accurate.

B) What do you think of the cost, apprx $8000-$9000 USD? Diamonds of same color and cut with an SI2 rating appear to be $3000-$4000 more at online retailers.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Does this stone have a lab report or is it uncertified? Can''t tell if you mean it has a GIA report or if you are just guessing what a GIA report would say.

Is seems like color and size are your first priorities. And cut and clarity are not as important?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2009 3:34:27 PM
Author:void7910
So, I was at a local trusted jewllers on the weekend and spoted this magnificent loose stone; round cut 1.92 carats beneath the counter. When I saw the grading was Very Good Cut, F color and I1 I was VERY leary about the I1. I have seen some horrible stones with I1 ratings (lots of clouds in the table). To the unaided eye all I was able to see were two small inclusions:

1) Small cloud, off the table almost on the edge. Should be easily covered by a mount prong.

2) Very fine feather on one edge of the table, only visible when the stone was on a black cloth. Once the stone was picked up in the jewller's diamond holder tool it took me nearly 10 minutes of slowly rotating the stone to locate the same feather.

My questions to all of you are:

A) By GIA spec's should this stone be an I1? I am guessing that because the inclusions are easily visible when unmounted, that yes this rating is accurate. No real way to tell without examining the diamond, clarity grading is subjective and I1 clarities are not created equal. You can find an I1 on occasion which some experts believe has been graded harshly and vice versa. For example I have a 2 ct GIA graded pear which is I1 and completely eyeclean face up, all that can be seen is a feather to the side! Some reliably lab graded I1's can be great buys if you find a good one. I take it this diamond is actually GIA graded?

B) What do you think of the cost, apprx $8000-$9000 USD? Diamonds of same color and cut with an SI2 rating appear to be $3000-$4000 more at online retailers.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I''d be very wary of the feather inclusion...I just posted about my cracked diamond, probably cracked as a result of the feather inclusion that the seller had assured me ''wasn''t a problem''. I will never buy another diamond with a feather inclusion again...live and learn...and then share with others!

void7910

Rough_Rock
There is a lab report with the stone. It's from Gem Scan in Toronto, which I have heard is an ok lab. I was asking if you felt the I1 rating was accurate given the visible inclusions.

I wouldn't say that cut and clarity are low on my list, but rather the girlfriends. If she could pass off this 1.92 carat I1/VG/F 99% percent of the time without anyone noticing any "issues" she would be happy. In the same price range with color and cut the same with an SI2 calrity we are looking at a smaller stone; perhaps 1.25 - 1.5 carats.

I was already looking in the VG/F-G range to keep costs down and carats up. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a reliable lab (well, never heard of it here)...wouldn't consider that stone for one second!!! Look for GIA graded stones and personally, I wouldn't consider I1 for an engagement ring.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2009 4:12:29 PM
Author: void7910
There is a lab report with the stone. It''s from Gem Scan in Toronto, which I have heard is an ok lab. I was asking if you felt the I1 rating was accurate given the visible inclusions.

I wouldn''t say that cut and clarity are low on my list, but rather the girlfriends. If she could pass off this 1.92 carat I1/VG/F 99% percent of the time without anyone noticing any ''issues'' she would be happy. In the same price range with color and cut the same with an SI2 calrity we are looking at a smaller stone; perhaps 1.25 - 1.5 carats.

I was already looking in the VG/F-G range to keep costs down and carats up. :)
i would rather own a well cut (GIA/AGS) G-H VS-SI 1.25ct stone.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have an independent appraiser near you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results